• Forum membership has its advantages....

Camping in Baja

Honda48X

We have been to Baja around eight times and have stayed in the San Felipe area at the El Dorado Ranch. We have a 26 foot travel trailer and are curious about camping along the Pacific ocean. Curious as to how safe it is and what are some good locations along the Pacific ocean to dry camp? We have dirt bikes and would like to go for rides during the day and are wondering if our truck and trailer would be safe? We have watched the Baja 1000 just north of Erendira and was wondering if this area is safe? We will be down in Baja from December 20th to January 7th.

nimrod

KOOK!
Try Coyote Cals Hostel, it's just north up the dirt road from Erendira. I believe they allow campers too plus it's safe. Click on the rates link.
Coyote Cal's Mexico Hostels

It's almost just as cheap to stay there in a bunk bed as it is to camp.

firedog

Gonzaga is not on the Pacific coast. If you want to go way south San Juanico is pretty cool.

TJERGENSEN

It seems to me that i always see the surfers dry camping. maybe one of there websites might have some safe locations.

Honda48X

Gonzaga is not on the Pacific coast. If you want to go way south San Juanico is pretty cool.
Thank you for the info. We actually want to also camp on the sea of Cortez. I think I've been to Gonzaga is that safe and also how about bay of LA is their RV camping or places to camp there that is safe?

firedog

Thank you for the info. We actually want to also camp on the sea of Cortez. I think I've been to Gonzaga is that safe and also how about bay of LA is their RV camping or places to camp there that is safe?
El Coyote beach is pretty neat and on the Bahia Conception (Sea of Cortez) and I have stayed there a few times with no issues and is north of Loreto and south of Mulege.

I would say Gonzaga is safe, had lunch there last last Wed.

Have stayed camped at B of LA once and had no issues.

Here is a video from 2006 which has pictures of B of LA and El Coyote: 7:15-8:50 is El Coyote, 8:50-9:07 is B of LA.

Soylent_Green

You can dry camp at Half Moon Beach 4 miles north of Coyote Cals and 6 miles north at Long Beach. (You can actually camp pretty much anywhere and not just these spots)

Use common sense and you would be fine. Need to keep an eye on your stuff - i wouldn't have everyone take off and go for a ride and not leave someone with the truck. dont leave out anything at night that a ninja cant sneak up and grab. Lock the bikes up etc.

There are usually 1 or 2 small groups at long beach camping most weekends.

For added security, you can camp at coyote cals- call to confirm space for trailer

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

Last edited:

Honda48X

El Coyote beach is pretty neat and on the Bahia Conception (Sea of Cortez) and I have stayed there a few times with no issues and is north of Loreto and south of Mulege.

I would say Gonzaga is safe, had lunch there last last Wed.

Have stayed camped at B of LA once and had no issues.

Here is a video from 2006 which has pictures of B of LA and El Coyote: 7:15-8:50 is El Coyote, 8:50-9:07 is B of LA.
Thanks firedog. I'm a deputy fire chief in Seattle.

Honda48X

You can dry camp at Half Moon Beach 4 miles north of Coyote Cals and 6 miles north at Long Beach. (You can actually camp pretty much anywhere and not just these spots)

Use common sense and you would be fine. Need to keep an eye on your stuff - i wouldn't have everyone take off and go for a ride and not leave someone with the truck. dont leave out anything at night that a ninja cant sneak up and grab. Lock the bikes up etc.

There are usually 1 or 2 small groups at long beach camping most weekends.

For added security, you can camp at coyote cals- call to confirm space for trailer

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today
Thank you for the information and advise. We want to have fun in Baja but also want to leave Baja with all the stuff we came down with.