• Forum membership has its advantages....

Can dying classes be revived?

Zac Reish

Class 5 is slowly making a come back and now blows the doors off of class 12 as a result of allowing water cooled engines.the faster cars Are not a whole lot Slower than class 10. Trans, and parts last longer because the beam and wheel base keeps the speed down. Updating rules because the existing rules are a pain in the ass is what will revive a dying class. Class 5 was more dead than any class in existence back in 2010. I remember the first year in 2014 they allowed ecotec for battle at primm we got lumped in with the 5-16, 9’s, and 11’s. More than a few people said the 5/16’s and 9’s would beat the fastest 5 opens. We ended up getting 14 5’s out there and Vic bruckman whooped everyone’s ass. That was the beginning of the resurgence of 5. Since we have had 4 races with over 20 cars and a few times a year in between 10-15 cars is not abnormal. You have to change with the times, the cars have to be practical. The race cars that aren’t will disappear.

TRichards

Also why would you want to keep only classes based off of decades old parts and vehicles instead of taking advantage of newer technology and developing new ones. Look at 6100 and class 10 many were against the change but they are now some of the biggest categories.
I am talking about entry level classes. 6100 and 10 are not entry level for most people. Also cost Class 10 50 to 100k for a good car, 6100 150 to 250k for a good truck. There are a lot of older buggies and trucks just sitting that are fun to race. The whole point is to get more people out racing and not spending the real big $$ to do so.

jon coleman

quite simple, vintage racing vs current technology/ availiable parts cheap racing, old hard to get rules compliant parts will eliminate a class period

tapeworm

Class 5 is slowly making a come back and now blows the doors off of class 12 as a result of allowing water cooled engines.the faster cars Are not a whole lot Slower than class 10. Trans, and parts last longer because the beam and wheel base keeps the speed down. Updating rules because the existing rules are a pain in the ass is what will revive a dying class. Class 5 was more dead than any class in existence back in 2010. I remember the first year in 2014 they allowed ecotec for battle at primm we got lumped in with the 5-16, 9’s, and 11’s. More than a few people said the 5/16’s and 9’s would beat the fastest 5 opens. We ended up getting 14 5’s out there and Vic bruckman whooped everyone’s ass. That was the beginning of the resurgence of 5. Since we have had 4 races with over 20 cars and a few times a year in between 10-15 cars is not abnormal. You have to change with the times, the cars have to be practical. The race cars that aren’t will disappear.
I was one of the people that was really against that change BUT it has increased the entry and participation for that class. It most certainly was a move in the right direction. I just don’t think a motor change is going to increase any entries in 1600/9/5-16. I don’t think allowing the motor from a smart car will magically make class 9 or 5-16 grow in popularity. It would take something completely different. An expensive vw trans with all the best parts for the limited classes can be bought for 5-6 grand so thats not whats holding people back from jumping in to the classes. I just dont think people want to be part of the limited show as much anymore. It’s cooler to tell everyone you went to the Mint with such and such TT/Class 1/6100/UTV team and sat in the pit for them than to say you went and raced a limited car. Even if I offer up rides to friends from outside the off road world they turn them down and tell me to race my UTV instead.

Josh 8

Plus wouldn’t taking a really light type one engine out and installing a much heavier water cooled 4 banger with all the needed accessories (radiator) weight at lest 100 pounds more?

I think the weight would really through off the handling of a something like a 9 or 1600.

Last edited:

ACME

I don't get the argument that there is nothing special about the Mint now because it runs the same course other races race/d. That's a fairly irrational argument as far as I'm concerned. The original Mint, before it ended, raced numerous times in Sloan/Jean. I was there, I seent it, lol. I don't get the course argument. No matter how badly people want the north Vegas course, the reality is that ship has almost certainly sailed. And for what it's worth, THAT wasn't the original course either...so technically the north Vegas course that everyone loves wasn't the "real" Mint either. To put it another way, there is nothing particularly special about Indianapolis or Daytona either, concrete is concrete and left hand turns are left hand turns. But within their respective communities, those races are more prominent than others. Because of marketing...which created buzz, which created visibility, which created legacy. THAT is exactly what the Mint 400 is now. And its all marketing, that's the point I was making...that while the tools of marketing have changed over time, the process is still basically the same.

I said if you take away the donkey show, there is nothing special about the race itself. And I'll stand behind that comment.

I get that when the Mint originally ran it was a big deal. Now the dog and pony show is the big deal and the event just another Primm race in an area that has been raced to death. By the same token the 500/1K also have (had) a Sh..t Show for tech but, the whole event is a different animal, the courses vary and the challenge very different. Sadly, you are 100 % correct on the fact that we have suffered severe losses in recreational areas which has forced the sport into less areas. But the fact is, take away the SM and donkey show at the Mint and what's the appeal? Take that away and the 500 or 1000 and people would still race for the challenge...

Take the same venue (Primm): At BAP they get a ton of those limited class cars and a cross grain of racers. The difference is it's an event put on by an organization for the racers to race at, and it's not a SM marketing effort with a ton of ancillary marketing activities. Tying it back to this threads intent: Maybe if the SM or press at events like the Mint included some of these other classes like 15, 9, 11, etc it would generate interest in those classes like BAP does. But they don't and since the focus is on the trucks and SXS's that's what a majority outside of the sport knows about it so the limited classes don't show as maybe to them the race is more important than the show and a value isn't there?

The comment about Indy & Daytona is interesting and I get it. But the fact is off road racing is off road racing is a regional sport, just like the good old Florida Swamp Buggy races whereas Indy and Daytona have reached epic status worldwide. Sal once told me: "The Baja 1000 is the most well known motorsport event in the world, that no one knows anything about and has never seen". D2G etc... raised the profile and in certain markets it has a high profile, but globally people have never really heard of it unless they are involved with motorsports. Go to Tennessee or Maine and talk Baja 1000 and a few may know of it, but go to Germany, Brazil, Tokyo or Russia and you'd be challenged to find anyone who's even heard of it. But a majority of them have heard of the Indy 500 and Daytona in the same way they've heard of Le Mans, Dakar, Monaco and Isle of Mann. Here's some interesting marketing info from various sources...

The 10 Greatest Motorsport Races in the World | Special Lists | SuperCars.net

Top 10 Famous Car Races in History | pettersolberg.com

Top 10 most famous auto races in the world?

I could give a you ton of national marketing stuff based on retailer sales and conversations as we were the guys that did it. I wish it wasn't so, but on it's own merits; desert racing does not make a measurable marketing tick on a national or international scale.

Robin Hood

Plus wouldn’t taking a really light type one engine out and installing a much heavier water cooled 4 banger with all the needed accessories (radiator) weight at lest 100 pounds more?

I think the weight would really through off the handling of a something like a 9 or 1600.
Why not run a 2 or 3 cylinder from a UTV? They don't seem to weigh that much.

Robin Hood

I was one of the people that was really against that change BUT it has increased the entry and participation for that class. It most certainly was a move in the right direction. I just don’t think a motor change is going to increase any entries in 1600/9/5-16. I don’t think allowing the motor from a smart car will magically make class 9 or 5-16 grow in popularity. It would take something completely different. An expensive vw trans with all the best parts for the limited classes can be bought for 5-6 grand so thats not whats holding people back from jumping in to the classes. I just dont think people want to be part of the limited show as much anymore. It’s cooler to tell everyone you went to the Mint with such and such TT/Class 1/6100/UTV team and sat in the pit for them than to say you went and raced a limited car. Even if I offer up rides to friends from outside the off road world they turn them down and tell me to race my UTV instead.
This class would be booming if the motor cost wasn't so high. The majority of 1600 cars still have a high compression motors and use race gas. Guys racing 1600 are die hard racers that are on a BUDGET! In general they are not new to the sport and know the true cost of racing. Newbies get fooled into thinking they can race UTV, Class 10 or 6100 on a limited budget and be successful.