can we get a drag racing forum?

jimpat

Reaction
I meet lots of off road racers that I know at the drags also and it would be nice to be able to share tips and help. I occasionally need help in the pits and also driving as I have drag cars
blazer 1 barona.jpg

jimpat

Reaction
it should...

jimpat

Reaction
pavement section.....could be anything, that would leave sand drags out.
We need a DRAG racing section

jimpat

Reaction
It's not easy to explain to an off road racer the ( for that matter to any racers) the sensation of getting off the line in a sand or pavement drag car!!! I driven most type of race cars ( been racing since 1957) but the drag car is the one that is most satisfying. A plus is that they stay clean and usually have no body damage!!! How many hoods and fenders we replaced on our class 8 truck off road racer !!!!

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Sounds like you are looking for another site, Jim. But I can see the need for sand drag here.

jimpat

Reaction
I tried to find another site...could not and as this is such a friendly site and at the drags many off road racers come to me and say hello, as they know me from 35 years of off road racing, so if they are at the drags, then we also have a cross over, interest on both

jimpat

Reaction
yes,nice sites but too impersonal, here to start with we have lots in common: we love off road racing.
I, do to my age, can no longer drive off road...I am 81 years old.
I sure can drag race ( reaction time usually in .04 to .08 and had a few .0000 )

scottm

Reaction
I started drag racing in 1980 with a 71 camaro. Earlier this year I tried to take my chevy cl8 truck (with TP '80 to 88 Patelli upgrade' front glass) to the dragstrip at wild horse pass to see what it can run for fun. They said I can't race it, because without a windshield and working doors, it's 'too dangerous' for me. I said "Are you kidding? You have cycles going 150 mph and diesel pickups running 10's with bench seats, but this fully caged, fuel celled, probably 14 second truck is too dangerous? BS! Oh well, if they had let me, I planned to post my times and in-cab on here somewhere, probably the whatever section. I vote yay.

jimpat

Reaction
most safety inspectors are ignorant about safety...!!! I have been in the same situation in sprint cars, off road and drags. Where did you go and had that problem?
Barona is iffy, depending on the person inspecting the car. Last year my belts were outdated but like new ( 3 inch like we use in our class 8 truck). If I kept the 38 years old stock shoulder harness ( 1980 Blazer with a mild 350 SB, 8 second car in the 1/8 mile)the inspector would have passed them. When I asked if that ruling made sense he did not answer..
Back when...the driver compartment had to be leak proof, no fuel lines or fuel cell allowed, only mechanical fuel pumps so if the motor quit no fuel would be pumped. Electric fuel pumps are deadly unless automatic shut off system in place.

scottm

Reaction
WHP, formerly Firebird. I have an electric pump with oil pressure cutoff but we never made it that far. My inspector couldn't get past the non working doors. I started listing, dragsters, funny cars, nascars, motorcycles again, none have working doors. It didn't matter, stock bodied production vehicles need them, and the rules are the rules he said.

jimpat

Reaction
at what strip that happened, I am going to call the local NHRA guy and check

scottm

Reaction
It was in May this year. 2 of the 3 guys were cool and were totally going to let it run, then Mr Head Cheese inspector came over and delivered the veto.

jimpat

Reaction
are you still running the class8 ?
Where?