Cancelled qualifying for rain...What would you do

RGFan

I was reading an article on Fox about how it is not fair that the highest in points gets to start in the best position when rain cancels qualifying. I have to agree. WHile it is true that the cream usually rises to the top, whay should they get to start up front. I say make them earn it instead of essentially handing yet another advantage to them. All of the teams in the chase are all members of one of the mega teams already, like that is not advantage enough. How would you change it if at all?

I know I would reverse the order, let last place start first and have first place start last. Let all of the chasers work their way through the field so to speak. Lets see how they do running in the pack without the advantage of the clean air. Let them see how the other half lives.

Tristar Racing

I was reading an article on Fox about how it is not fair that the highest in points gets to start in the best position when rain cancels qualifying. I have to agree. WHile it is true that the cream usually rises to the top, whay should they get to start up front. I say make them earn it instead of essentially handing yet another advantage to them. All of the teams in the chase are all members of one of the mega teams already, like that is not advantage enough. How would you change it if at all?

I know I would reverse the order, let last place start first and have first place start last. Let all of the chasers work their way through the field so to speak. Lets see how they do running in the pack without the advantage of the clean air. Let them see how the other half lives.
If they practice, set it by practice speed, if no practice set it by points. This will help some...

Also, they could have had qualifying Friday at some point this last weekend. Its like Nascar only wants to give qualifying one shot, they have had opportunities to reschedule in some instances.

HarleyR

If they practice, set it by practice speed, if no practice set it by points. This will help some...

Also, they could have had qualifying Friday at some point this last weekend. Its like Nascar only wants to give qualifying one shot, they have had opportunities to reschedule in some instances.
I agree with that.. But it seems that TV time is more important than anything.

mgobaja

I think that once the chase starts the people within those top 12 positions should have to start in the back anyways, Make them race there way through traffic. then let the other 31 start based on speed, get rid of this provisional crap altogether.

Hemp

Give them some rain tires, it would make qualifying very interesting

Samco Fab

Why dont they qualify in the rain? :rolleyes:

Will the rain make the already slow COT cars look even slower?

I could understand mabye not running a superspeedway with rain, but Bristol or Martinsville would be cool.

michael_loomis

half the field (or more) would wreck tryin to get a decent run going.

RGFan

half the field (or more) would wreck tryin to get a decent run going.
I think they call that knowing when to lift.;) Or in the case of wrecking, not knowing when to lift. Maybe it is just me, but I thought that was a part of driving as much as mashing the accelerator.

Kirk_Babbington

Tough sh**, they are supposed to be professional drivers.
We all know what race series have the top drivers in it, so bantering on about nascar isn't going to change anything. NASCAR will be NASCAR, F1 will be F1, and BITD will be BITD no matter what people's opinions are outside of the organization.

kim

Rescue 3
I would have a draw for start positions. Make the guys earn it.

Kirk_Babbington

You guys are right, they should run in the rain, will make the spectators happy!

[video=youtube;k0tsTBbx4Ow]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0tsTBbx4Ow&feature=rec-fresh[/video]

Sickening to watch the carnage.

Chris Tobin

I seem to be in a minority here, but I will say that I agree with lining up by points when quals are rained out. I think it is fair to reward the drivers/teams that are performing best with the best starting spots, there is no inversion in NASCAR (except for sometimes in the All Star race) so the best/fastest should start up front. The part I don't agree with is cancelling quals and lining up by points without trying to reschedule at all... It was around 2:00 or 3:00 PM eastern on FRIDAY when the Martinsville quals were canceled... What about later Friday or Saturday or even Sunday morning??? I think NASCAR should make every effort possible to get quals in, not just automatically cancel and line up by points!!!

Also, I don't think that all Past Champions should get a free pass in when quals are rained out... If they continue that at least count it against their 5 PCPs!

Finally, some people complained that it wasn't fair to have the start lined up by points... well how fair would it have been if one or two of the "Chasers" were eliminated from the race because they drew the short straw and had to pack up and go home allowing some team like Derick Cope to race instead because he drew a good number?!?!?!?!

Lining up by points is the right thing to do when quals are rained out, but NASCAR should make more of an effort to get quals in at a different time... I seem to remember a Phoenix race we went to where quals were ran race morning with Bobby Labonte on the pole. I can't remember what year it was though. Man am I old!