CANCUN/Riviera Maya, Playa Del Carmen

JENN

"Pinky Poodle"
Reaction
I am going in two weeks! To be specific we will be a few minutes from Playa del Carmen ... What do you guys that have been there recommend!? We are going to Cozumel one day.. Need some restaurant recommendations .. Good nightlife can be found..WHERE!?!

Thanks in advance!

y2kbaja

Reaction
I've only been there once but the two things I remember and recommend. Cenotes (cave) snorkeling. It's about 20 mins south of Playa Del. That was spectacular. If you like snorkeling and caves this is the place. Not if you're clostrophobic though. Depending on the water level you had to go completely underwater between cave passages.
The other was the Collectivo. The white vans that run the main highway. I think when I went it was 50 cents to get on wherever you were going. Way cheaper than a taxi.

OldStroppeTeam

Reaction
If you Scuba Dive, Cozumel is THE PLACE.. I don't know much about the "Mainland" myself, my daughter just got back from a week at Playa.. I'll ask her what she would suggest .

Petepecas

Reaction
Do not miss going to TULUM, it really is magical, I too went in October, many moons ago, and it was HOT as summer in the middle of laguna salada, Cozumel is really wonderful, well kept and, no building permits issued in like 30 years. rent a moped and cruise the island, go skinny dippin.....Fun!

NicksTrix

Reaction
xcaret is a really neat place in RM.lots of info on their web site.
loads of night life in "downtown" cancun.
the ruins are all interesting if you are into that type of thing.
you can take the buses as well. cheap and easy way to get around town.
have fun!

JENN

"Pinky Poodle"
Reaction
Snorkeling in Cozumel, Xcaret tickets have been purchased! . . . . 10 days to go .. Restaurant recommendations?

worcs761

Reaction
Visit Akumal and report back when you get home. Akumal is about 20 miles south of Playa Del Carmen. Check out locogringo.com. There is plenty of information on their web site. Ask for Chevero and use his panga and captian. Just a little hint from Highlands Ranch, Colorado. Trust me, this is the place to spend some time.
FYI you can get a hot dog and a coke at Costco in Playa.
When in Mexico do as the Mexicans.

Laurie

Reaction
There is a restaurant in Cozemel right across the street from Atlantis Submarines that was wonderful. I recommend both the sub(unfortunately I don't have a contact at this Altantis to get you cheaper rates only on Maui) and the restaurant. We spent a week near Playa del Carmen and it wasn't long enough, there were so many things on our to do list undone.

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
My wife and I went there on our honeymoon. We visited Tulum and liked it, though if we go back we are going to go to the largest ruin site, can't think of the name. In Tulum everything is roped off, but others you can walk up them. We also went to Xeha, which is another waterpark and we loved it there also.

If you do go to Tulum be very careful though. There is one building there that locals say if you rub the cobblestone the fertility god will bring you a present. 9 months after our honeymoon Lucas David Zindroski was born lol

JENN

"Pinky Poodle"
Reaction
Visit Akumal and report back when you get home. Akumal is about 20 miles south of Playa Del Carmen. Check out locogringo.com. There is plenty of information on their web site. Ask for Chevero and use his panga and captian. Just a little hint from Highlands Ranch, Colorado. Trust me, this is the place to spend some time.
FYI you can get a hot dog and a coke at Costco in Playa.
When in Mexico do as the Mexicans.

Thanks . . . I am not a chain kinda gal, I prefer the local flavors. . . Always have! Especially since I do have a culinary background! ;)

There is a restaurant in Cozemel right across the street from Atlantis Submarines that was wonderful. I recommend both the sub(unfortunately I don't have a contact at this Altantis to get you cheaper rates only on Maui) and the restaurant. We spent a week near Playa del Carmen and it wasn't long enough, there were so many things on our to do list undone.

I am going back with my family next year so I will be able to check some things out, and have some things left to do! I am super excited!!!

My wife and I went there on our honeymoon. We visited Tulum and liked it, though if we go back we are going to go to the largest ruin site, can't think of the name. In Tulum everything is roped off, but others you can walk up them. We also went to Xeha, which is another waterpark and we loved it there also.

If you do go to Tulum be very careful though. There is one building there that locals say if you rub the cobblestone the fertility god will bring you a present. 9 months after our honeymoon Lucas David Zindroski was born lol

HAHA . .. I am staying far far away from that, that would just be trouble! Thanks for the warning!!

randy68

#1 Enemy of Google
Reaction
I went once for a friends daughters wedding a few yrs. ago.
We went to dinner in "Playa" that was AWESOME. Mayan food,
local joint, one of the best meals I've ever had.

I'll call him & see if he knows the name...

JENN

"Pinky Poodle"
Reaction
I went once for a friends daughters wedding a few yrs. ago.
We went to dinner in "Playa" that was AWESOME. Mayan food,
local joint, one of the best meals I've ever had.

I'll call him & see if he knows the name...

If you can get the info. it would be GREATLY appreciated! ;) Thanks!!

Baja Fool

Reaction
You need to go to Chitzen itza and witness a most remarkable set of remains of a Mayan city. Xel-ha & Xcaret (swim in an underground cave!) are natural wonders but the Mexicans have exploited them to the max ($$$$$), but would be worth seeing nevertheless.

Cozumel has Cousteau National Marine Park of Cozumel where you will see beneath the clear waters a 14 ft tall statue of Jesus Christ.

For local fare, El Morrito. Good Mexican and seafood restaurant.

If you can swing it, Go to Isla Contoy a geologically perserved isle that has a limit on daily visitors. It's like Gilligan's Island; no phones, no cars....Most tours will stop off at the reef about 2 miles out and you are in 6 feet of crystal clear water!! Awesome snorkling.

My 2 pesos...

Have fun.

randy68

#1 Enemy of Google
Reaction
If you can get the info. it would be GREATLY appreciated! ;) Thanks!!

Just heard from Texas & the name of the restaruant is
"YAXCHE." Don't even ask how to say it!

& I agree w/baja fool, "chicken pizza"/ruins (only way I
could remember how to say it!) is way kewl!

Have fun!:cool:

Mike_Cohen

Reaction
Try for more than 1 day in Cozumel. It is beautiful, awesome, clean, and quaint. Go snorkeling off of any of the "beach club" beaches. Take in the wonderful margarita / drink service at these clubs while sunning on the beach. Rent a car, cruise around the island, it is small but stop off at beach access roads along the way and explore. Definitely eat at La Choza restaurant near the dive shop downtown. They have salsa to die for.

Have a great trip and please return with a trip report double spced with approved margins LOL!

Best regards,
Mike