• Forum membership has its advantages....

cant figure it out

Mikey villareal

hey guys new to the fourm and have a few questions... I have a 99 f150 running a velocity raceworks kit on it.. my problem is why am I going through wheel bearings so damn much? its to the point where I do them when I do brakes wether they need it or not..ive already had a couple bearings go out on me while heading into work very scary ride lol... im also hearing and feeling a sound that feels like what seems the wheel bearings but it goes away.. it could be the rear bearings though cause ive swapped the bearings numours times and it still makes the sound..any info and input is greatly appreciated

Mikey villareal

No my trucks 2wd I'm assuming the snout is a stock style I'm assuming considering i can go buy the stock bearings for the truck and put them right on

Ol' Curmudgeon

RDC's resident crackpot
You're going to change races, too, correct?

Chandler Gunn

Is there still a significant amount of thickness of the wall of the spindle snout? i had an old tundra with a silly little TC kit on it and kept going through bearings (also terrifying) so i took the spindle to a guy to check out and he told me the snout wall was too thin and when id hit rugged terrain it would warp it an un-noticeable amount i guess. Sounds stupid but i listened and replaced the spindles, never had the problem again...

Mikey villareal

I'm running the "stock" snouts they're pretty badly beaten up im just tired of constantly doing bearings lol id like to look into the Dana 44 snouts but i need to either get new spindles or have a plate welded

f1sleepy

Stock snouts are very strong, but the bearing spread and diameter are terrible for running large tires. They were never intended to be used in conjunction with 35" or 37" tires at high speeds off road. I use to replace wheel bearings after every trip when I ran stock snouts. You need to upgrade to a larger diameter snout/hub assembly that uses larger bearings with a better spread.