Cantilever rear suspension!!! 4 link possibilities

Andrew

Reaction
I was wondering if anyone has any information on a cantilever rear 4-link set up.

For a while now I've been talking to a buddy about doing a full build on a crew cab prerunner (true 4 seater), but the problem we keep running into was shock tower placement for a traditional 4-link. The shock towers would have to be inside the cab, eliminating a lot of room, thus making a crew cab pointless to build.

Then one day during the vegas to reno race one of my buddies pulled out his rc car cuz we were bored at pit 2. I was looking at the rear suspension and it was amazing. It was a 4-link'd cantilever suspension, where the shocks were located BEHIND the axle. Granted, this was an rc car, but the theory should still apply. It was then that I realized that a cantilever rear 4-link would solve the shock tower problem, and let me build a 4 seat prerunner

So how bout it? Anyone know anything about cantilever rear suspension? I want to know everything... theory, formulas, exerience, etc... I know I've seen trucks out there with this setup, but for the life of me, I can't find anything on the internet.

Any help would be appreciated :D

CRAIG_HALL

Reaction
Rick Johnson's (oak hill) is exactly that.. Ford cab 4-seats and a rear link arm. Pictures are somewhere.. (similiar setup to Rick Johnson (Barstow) T.T.

etl450

Reaction
Could the shocks be built to run parallel to the ground. Im sure there would be some valving issues, but just a possibility.

Andrew

Reaction
Could the shocks be built to run parallel to the ground. Im sure there would be some valving issues, but just a possibility.
Yeah, I wasn't too sure about that. Like I said, I want to learn EVERYTHING that would go into a cantilever rear. haha

I know it CAN be done though... I've seen a couple trucks at the races that have the shocks mounted horizontally, such as this one (btw, if anyone can give me info on this truck, that'd be great)...

Andrew

Reaction
I've also been looking around and confirmed that the general tire trophy truck has a similar rear suspension... this is the only pic I could find really

If anyone can find a build thread or more pictures or anything that'd be awesome. I've been looking for a while and can't find anything

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Yeah, I wasn't too sure about that. Like I said, I want to learn EVERYTHING that would go into a cantilever rear. haha

I know it CAN be done though... I've seen a couple trucks at the races that have the shocks mounted horizontally, such as this one (btw, if anyone can give me info on this truck, that'd be great)...

dave winners prerunner...Kudella designed rear end.

Brice

Reaction
I've also been looking around and confirmed that the general tire trophy truck has a similar rear suspension... this is the only pic I could find really

If anyone can find a build thread or more pictures or anything that'd be awesome. I've been looking for a while and can't find anything
that is a mezinne set-up

TauMau

Reaction

Andrew

Reaction
Read/comprehend those and you should be on your way to being an expert in no time.
:eek::eek::eek: Oh wow, thanks man. That should provide me with hours of fun. After quickly glancing at the threads, I really like the mezzanine set-up. Now to clear my schedule for the rest of the day to read...

Chris_Wilson

Reaction
Glen Straightiff is building a stretched Blazer like this right now for Ramsey.

Andrew

Reaction
Awesome. You know if he's doing a build thread anywhere?