Car play and GPX files.

nimrod

KOOK!
RDC Crypto
Hey just in case thought I’d throw this out there.
The Gaia app makes it so you can easily download GPX to an iPhone or I’d imagine an android phone as well.
Normally it prompts me to send the download to Gaia and it’s super easy. You can download from gpx exchange sites on the interwebs, download GPX from emails or text messages. You can make your own trails as well and send them to others. I love it.

THE REALLY COOL PART IS that when you plug into your Apple car play the Gaia app shows up and you can easily see the map, route, and your position on your vehicle’s big screen.

It works fine with no cell coverage As well as long as you downloaded before that. It can be a tiny bit slow occasionally to update your position if there is no cell coverage but for anything other than racing it works great.

Last edited:

nimrod

KOOK!
RDC Crypto
PS. I already downloaded the Baja 1000 GPX file. I’m ready to rumble baby!
the auto prompts happen with my iPhone on my iPad I gotta click a few “buttons” and it’s not as simple but if a 57 year old nimrod can do it anyone can.
Since it shows up on the Short Bus’ big screen I don’t need the iPad in the truck anyways.

My OnX and Avenza apps don’t show up on my Apple car play. I‘m really stoked on Gaia

Kirk_Babbington

RDC Crypto
Gaia is the best gps app hands down. Been using it for years for all back country exploration on foot and in vehicle. The map sets on their premium membership give you access to tons of layers for various planning and adventures.

desertspeed

RDC Crypto
PS. I already downloaded the Baja 1000 GPX file. I’m ready to rumble baby!
the auto prompts happen with my iPhone on my iPad I gotta click a few “buttons” and it’s not as simple but if a 57 year old nimrod can do it anyone can.
Since it shows up on the Short Bus’ big screen I don’t need the iPad in the truck anyways.

My OnX and Avenza apps don’t show up on my Apple car play. I‘m really stoked on Gaia

I never thought to try it on Car Play, this is awesome! Thanks for the heads up!

Jammminjay

RDC Crypto
Hey just in case thought I’d throw this out there.
The Gaia app makes it so you can easily download GPX to an iPhone or I’d imagine an android phone as well.
Normally it prompts me to send the download to Gaia and it’s super easy. You can download from gpx exchange sites on the interwebs, download GPX from emails or text messages. You can make your own trails as well and send them to others. I love it.

THE REALLY COOL PART IS that when you plug into your Apple car play the Gaia app shows up and you can easily see the map, route, and your position on your vehicle’s big screen.

It works fine with no cell coverage As well as long as you downloaded before that. It can be a tiny bit slow occasionally to update your position if there is no cell coverage but for anything other than racing it works great.

Have you tried OnX Offroad?

Chris_Wilson

RDC Crypto
Very cool, thanks! I'm new to all this (first used carplay just now). Got the B1k course showing on my Raptor Sync3 with the Gaia app. Wow!!!
I see pointers along the trail which I presume are VCP's? Any way to get it to display what they are? Like which VCP #?

Also the background map in Gaia is not bad but not nearly as detailed as the Murdoch map for the Lowrance.
Is there some way to get more background trails other than via a GPX trail? Or is the native Gaia background map all there is?

nimrod

KOOK!
RDC Crypto
Very cool, thanks! I'm new to all this (first used carplay just now). Got the B1k course showing on my Raptor Sync3 with the Gaia app. Wow!!!
I see pointers along the trail which I presume are VCP's? Any way to get it to display what they are? Like which VCP #?

Also the background map in Gaia is not bad but not nearly as detailed as the Murdoch map for the Lowrance.
Is there some way to get more background trails other than via a GPX trail? Or is the native Gaia background map all there is?

I believe you can buy other background maps on the app, I thought I saw that clicking around and checking stuff out but not sure.

nimrod

KOOK!
RDC Crypto
Just FYI I’m no expert, I’m a technology challenged dork. I like this app cause it’s simple to use. I can’t answer too much about it as I just don’t know much. I’m like Cole Trickle in days of thunder. What’s the difference, the app did it all for me so I got in and drove.

E.Hagle

RDC Crypto

There are so many different options for background layers as well as blending multiple together. I pay for premium and it’s worth it.

They even have a Nat Geo Baja map layer that’s very handy

Chris_Wilson

RDC Crypto
Ok in Gaia I found under layers you can turn on waypoint names so now my VCP #'s show up. I think I'm done mounting Lowrances in new cars.

BTW, did you know you can get the latest Baja Almanac in the Avenza mapping app ($20)? It does not support carplay but it does work on your iphone or tablet. Killer detail, and latest trails shown like Turquesa that the 1k uses this time. Worth the $20.

nimrod

KOOK!
RDC Crypto
If this thread was about OnX would it have stayed in offroad racing?
I mean this is very useful info for guys chasing the baja Mil that might not have a lowrance in their vehicle.
🤷‍♂️