CARB Declares Dual Sport Dirt Bikes Illegal in CA

Baja_Seve

Reaction
CARB (California Air Resources Board) has apparently issued a memo affecting CA motorcycle Dual Sport registration as of July 23, 2003. From the Baja Designs website (http://www.bajadesigns.com):

"Since before 1978 the California DMV has had a procedure to license off-road motorcycles for use on public roads. This required the addition of headlight/taillight/turn signals, etc. We are now being told by CARB that this process has been illegal since 1978 - but that no one in the state knew it was illegal. On July 23, 2003 CARB and the DMV apparently instituted a change to the DMV dual registration policies via memo 2003-24. Registration now requires a federal emissions label. These motorcycles have never been tested for this label. The only testing that CARB has required in the past was the emissions testing that determined whether the motorcycle received a green sticker or a red sticker. Red sticker bikes were not able to be dual registered; green sticker bikes were able to be dual registered. CARB has told us directly that registration of any off-highway motorcycle has been illegal since 1978, but somehow the CA DMV and CHP didn't know it."

"We are lobbying the Chairman of CARB (Alan C. Lloyd), Senator Bill Morrow and Local Assembly Member Mark Wyland. We would like to encourage customers to send a letter to their local elected officials and CARB."

This is the typical vacuum that CARB operates in (no pun intended). Go to Baja Designs' website and download sample letters to send to CARB and your legislators.

sirhk100

Reaction
Is it just me or has there litterally been one thing in the news everyday this month that has made Arizona or Nevada look better and better?

sirhk100

Reaction
Alright you Egotistical, arogant , self proclaimed off road expert , and educator to all idiots on bikes, you actually got a audible laugh outta me with that post!!!

BTW, YOU'RE STILL WRONG!!!!

Baja_Seve

Reaction
From fellow rider Tim:

"CARB is one of those agencies that must find things to do that justifies their existence, so no surprise that they uncovered a loophole to beat down another segment of motorized CA. Remember the recent debacle of the new gasoline cans??? Despite the overwhelming evidence submitted by almost every credible group known in the motorized world, CARB used bogus science, manipulated statistics, and other less-than-honest tactics from their Berkeley graduate staff, and voila, the new gas cans are law. It is bureaucracy at its evolutionary worst.

Write the letters to CARB and tell them what a miniscule part off road and dual sport bikes play in the emissions equation , but also write one to the manufacturers to urge them to certify their equipment with the Feds! The four-strokers can be certified with just a procedural change since they are designed parallel with the street versions. The attainable solution in this world will come from the manufacturers with the know-how and the initiative to work through the idiot regulations."

And there you have it: "Idiot regulations for idiots on bikes."

Paige

Reaction
I just got this from CLORV ~

Recently, the DMV issued a memo to all DMV offices (VR 2003-24) dated July 23 that told DMV offices to not register as on-highway or dual registration motorcycle, any motorcycle that was a 1978 or newer model with no emission label or an emission label indicating it was for off road or off highway use only.

Evidently, this has been in the law for sometime, but was not previously enforced. Now it is being enforced and is having an adverse effect on after-market manufacturers and motorcycle owners in California.

Because it was implemented without any advance notice to the public, CLORV will be asking the California Air Resources Board (CARB) and the DMV to delay implementation of this advisory notice for 6 months. After all, it hasn’t been enforced since 1978, what is six months more.

They will also ask CARB to do emission testing on these vehicles to determine if they meet current emission standards. It should be pointed out that single cylinder – 4 stroke engines are a lot cleaner that a SUV or truck’s emissions which would have to be used to haul these motorcycles around if they cannot be licensed as on-highway vehicles.

CLORV is asking the off road community to write to the CARB Director asking for a 6 month delay in implementation of this program.

The address is:
Dr. Alan C. Lloyd, Chairman
California Air Resources Board
1001 I Street
Sacramento, CA 95814

916-322-2990
916-445-5052 fax

martininsocal

Reaction
Now let me ask you this question. Whay, after 25 years, has this finally come to light and become an issue? Do we really believe it is because no one ever read the laws of this state? Or could there be some other motive behind the push to eliminate Street Legal Off Road Bikes? With the current push for less OHV approved routes in much of the federal deserts and forest lands, and now an attack to eliminate the street legal versions of off road bikes, could there be some underlying reason this is being pushed in the State of California? Do you remember the activity that occurred just prior to the Democrats and Clinton leaving the White House? How amny presidential mandates were placed that would have created a strom of controversy for a sitting president, but would be almost a non-story for an outgoing President? Well, gues swho is up for recall? Guess who will likely be gone from office after October 7? Why not let him finish the green push he was placed in office to install? He will be gone, he can be blamed for it all, his party can distamce itself from him when he is gone, and the green agenda rolls on. From the elimination of OHV routes in Anza Borrego to the loss of miles of forest routes in teh roadless initiative, it is simply an attack on our lifestyle. No real science to show converted bikes are dirtier than any other vehicle. No science to proove that the conversions are more dangerous than factory dual sport bikes. Just an attemp to limit the way we can access the desert/forest/outback on motorized wheels. This Sucks!

MARK

Reaction
Yesterday (8-5-03) I went to the DMV in San Luis Obispo and reregistered my 99 yzf 400 for both on and off road. Nothing was said about emisions ect.. and I sure as hell was'nt going to bring it up. Now if down the road I get a letter saying my bike is no longer legal to ride on the street, are they going to send my money back? I doubt it, its already spent. Perhaps threat of a class action lawsuit on behalf of all reg. duelsports wanting their money back will get the DMV to stall the CARB decision. Just a thought.
Mark

sirhk100

Reaction
Not meaning to completely change the thread but what was involoved with registering your bike on road? I've got a '03 CRF450 that is a legit green sticker bike because it's a canadian model. I would like to get it registered so that I have a more open riding area... Did they actually inspect the bike?

Khris