CARB legal fuel cell???

SpareChangeRacng

I am starting the re-build on my 89 ranger and plan on doing a fuel cell. I was talking w/ a smog guy I know and I asked about the cell. He said even w/ all the stock smog stuff (charcoal canister, etc.) hooked up to the cell it wouldn't pass the visual inspection w/o having a CARB #. I was wondering if anybody knows if there is a CARB legal fuel cell out there. I already called JAZ and the person I talked to didn't even know what CARB was! Anyway, I figured I'd ask here before I got out the phone book and called um all. Thanks in advance. Steve

BIG_FAT_LOSER

I am almost 100% sure any gas tank other than the sotck one is not smog legal. (Although some have had cool smog techs pass a fuel cell) and not heard of a C.A.R.B. legal cell.

I plan on keeping my stock tank mounting tabs and removing the cell and reinstalling the stock tank when my truck is due for a smog check. Seems like a pain in the butt, but I also do it with my converter as well.

<font color=yellow>United Jump Truck Society<font color=yellow>
U.J.T.S. President.

fishd00d

What A Joke
Be carefull with that cat convertor!! I got pulled over on the way to the last MDR race by an [censored] cop who pulled me over for nothing. He ended up giving me a fixit ticket for just about anything you can think of and some stuff you cant think of.

The fine for just the cat is $2500!!!!!! WHAT A JOKE!!!!

Go Big Or Go Home
United Jumping Truck Society
U.J.T.S. Manwhore

Snmiedo

Dear Steve,

I am currently working with the California Air Resource Board for a specific ruling on this topic. I will keep the board apprised of its results as it becomes available. Hopefully we will be able to have auxiliary / larger capacity fuel tanks with the original or aftermarket equipment to satisfy both vehicle owners and the CARB.

Thanks!
Mike Cohen
Race Ready Products
619-691-9171

Timberwlf

Fish,

Just curious but what did he get you for??? Thats one thing I have been nervous about with my truck.

Later
Brandon

94 Ranger X-Cab 4x4 5.0 H.O. v-8 Pre-Runner/ Chase Truck

fishd00d

What A Joke
Oh man here goes, this is just what I can remember:

-No Front License Plate
-No Front Turn Signals
-Blue Headlights (They are DOT Approved, Piaa Super White)
-No VIN # on the dash (dash is out right now)
-No Charcol canister
-Illegal Intake
-No Catalitic Convertor
-No Mudflaps (Showed him police report for bedsides but he didnt care)
-No License Plate Light
-Zip Ties are not a way to hold on a license plate and tail lights.
-Blinkers flashing to fast!!! WHAT A JOKE!!! Where is there a speed limit on blinkers???

Also when he turned on his lights to pull me over I put on my signal and got over to get off at the next exit, I was planning on getting off because I dont like stopping on the freeway (my friends dad was killed last year stopping on a freeway) so he gets all pissed and was like riding up at my door pointing and crap. Then when I did pull over he was yelling at me for not stopping sooner. And he didn't care about my friends dad either.

Some people are just abused as kids and I guess they fell they just have to get back at the world...I wasent even driving bad or speeding, he just had something up his butt they made him pull me over just to give me a hard time I guess.

Go Big Or Go Home
U.J.T.S. Manwhore

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Thats what happens when you give highschool graduates "power"

Why are you not running a hollow cat?

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>
"Jesus loves you, everybody else thinks you're an A-hole"

SpareChangeRacng

Snmiedo - what is exactly illegal about the cells, and do you mean to say I could not legally put a larger fuel tank (not cell) in my truck? My friend has a theory about how to get around the non-CARB thing w/ a cell but I'm not sure it will work. He is saying to cut the top of my stock fuel tank off (where the drop in pump, and vent lines, etc. are) and bolt that on top of the fuel cell instead of the fuel cell filler etc. I thought that just having a cell made it not pass smog, no matter what was done to it. Am I correct? Steve

PS: Fish did you have hollowed cats on there or just straight pipes? I got pulled over 2 years ago or so, for "no LP lights" but I think it was my truck. The a$$ sat there for about 45 min and inspected EVERYTHING. He tried to tell me I had no cat (I didn't - I just had a hollowed casing) but I got out and pointed to the casing and he had no way of saying it wasn't a cat. Anyway, I got the ticket for the truck being to loud (plus a bunch of other crap) but I didn't get the $2500 fine for no cat. Needless to say when I finish doing my truck again I will find some old cats, hollow um out and run um so they look like they are real. Just a thought.

fishd00d

What A Joke
Yea I have just a piece of bolt in straight pipe on there, I am going to just bolt in my old cat and hope for the best!

Go Big Or Go Home
U.J.T.S. Manwhore

AllwaysRcn

A little off topic but- I had a CHP write me a ticket for to many pit passes on my window. Obstruction of view. It was only like 15 pit passes (no duplicates). They went from top to bottom on driver side, then along the bottom. I just hated to scrape my old Parker 400 ones.

SpareChangeRacng

Yeah, I have been hassled for my window sticker (across the top of the windshield - reads: Spare Change Racing w/ ford ovals on either side). It only comes down like 2-3" from the top of the windshield but he said he could write me a ticket for it (cop was nice enough not to). He said anything other than a 5" square starting at the base of the driver side and a 7" square starting at the base of the pass side was legal. I guess putting your sun visor down should be illegal too then, those things abstruct WAY more of my view then my sticker does. Oh well. Steve

BlueCoyote

My understanding is that the issue with fuel cells has to do with the filler neck (has to have the restriction to only accept unleaded fuel nozzels), and the cap and tank must be properly vented. My plan is to use the stock Toyota filler neck, cap, and connect all the vents to the stock vent lines.

If correctly connected it will work the same as the stock system. Also plan to keep the stock tank / mount/ lines in case I ever have to go to a CA test only station.

As for 'off-road' cats, would not want to be caught with one. Have not seen the smog natzis in the Hi desert, but it is just a matter if time. The new style honeycomb cats are very free flowing (unlike the old pellet styles). My only concern is heat build up and potential for fire.

Who are you calling Coyote ugly?
84 Toyota p/u Rokrawlr
86 4rnr
80 Toyota MDR Project

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Why are fuel cells not CARB legal? They are safer than regular gas tanks?!

See ya in the dirt!

Tom

You guys have to move to AZ. I got a fix it ticket out in CA on my prerunner and when I came home to AZ I tried to have it signed off. The AZ cops laughed at me. They said they don't sign off fix it tickets, they said it is a CA thing. I asked what should I do. They said, throw it away. I did - case closed

SpareChangeRacng

I had also planned on using the stock filler neck, w/ restricter, the charcoal canister, vents, and ALL stock smog equipment w/ the cell, but I was told it still wouldn't pass the visual. It pretty much boils down to the visual test screwing us. I would think that with all the stock smog hook ups I would be fine, but not in the smog nazi controlled state of CA. The visual is what always kills me. When I did my engine swap (supercharged 3.8L out of a T-bird) I had to go to the CA BAR Referee 7 different times to get him to pass the VISUAL on my truck. It passed the sniffer test on the 1st try! Damn smog nazis!
As far as cells being safer and still not legal - It's just like 5 pt harnesses not being legal on the street. Sure they may be safer, but they haven't (most at least) been DOT certified so they are not legal. Steve

Jack

It doen't mater what you do, a "cell" is not legal it must be a tank all the smog issues aside, although they do catch you at the smog station for it ???? I think a cell is safer too, but what does my opion mater, I think 5 point harneses are safer too but there are also illegal.

Snmiedo

The fuel cells or auxiliary gas tanks are not really the issue. CARB wants all of the emission equipment originally equipped with the vehicle left intact or better. Further than those specifics, you will have to wait like I am in geeting the information from them so that CARB, lawmakers, peace officers, and people that wish to replace, modify, or enhance their vehicles can all have a win win situation.

My ranger uses the same pickup and reurn assembly on my cell. However, according to others and CARB, the requirements are becoming more strictly enforced and could require an EO stamp (Executive Order) for validity when smogging your vehicle just as K&N FIPK's and other California legal engine modifications have.

Please be patient and I will keep the board updated on what is legal and how we can all get there and be happy.

Mike Cohen
Race Ready Products

SpareChangeRacng

Thanks for the help, and yes please do keep us updated.
As far as the EO goes - I thought you just had to get a CARB sticker (stating the CARB # and that the part had been tested and was CARB legal) for the K/N setup, headers and thins of that nature. Maybe the EO is the sticker. If not, what is the deal with the EO, and how easy are they to get? Steve