• Forum membership has its advantages....

Carbon Fiber Dash

MarkAcunaOffRoad

I'm curious if carbon fiber can be filled in/repaired like fiber glass? We are redesigning our dash (carbon fiber) and cannot find who has the original molding to replicate another. Is there a way to fill in the existing holes where the gauges and toggle switches were installed with "new" CF?? Is it something that can be DIY? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

baja619

You can expect your patchwork to be fully visible.

Carbon Fiber Fabric sheets vary with patterns, weaves, colors and I do not foresee any easy way to marry a patch to the rest of the dash.

Post a pic up and maybe someone has insight on who the OG manufactuerer is

baja619

You can expect your patchwork to be fully visible.

Carbon Fiber Fabric sheets vary with patterns, weaves, colors and I do not foresee any easy way to marry a patch to the rest of the dash.

Post a pic up and maybe someone has insight on who the OG manufactuerer is

MarkAcunaOffRoad

Not too worried about the new "patch work" being visible. We're gonna redrill new holes for switched and a couple gauges (adding a digital dash display). We just don't want to have huge holes where previous gauges were placed.

Mark Acuña
Mark Acuña Off Road Racing

Chris Tobin

I would suggest using the existing CF dash as the spine/base and install flat CF panel inserts for your gauge sections.

baja619

That could work. ^^^

After patching it up and making everything solid again, perhaps just overlay the face with some nice new carbon fiber material, vinyl replica, (or whatever else material, color, finish, ect) and from behind (the dash) make the proper cuts of gauges switches and all that.

I think it would look rather nice with a simple uncomplicated process.

MarkAcunaOffRoad

From the research and speaking with people who are familiar with carbon fiber, I'm going to try and do the repair on my own.

I was told to use this to fill in the existing holes:
Carbon Fiber Filled Epoxy Bonding and Patching Paste [1263] - $42.30 : Carbon Fiber Panels/Sheets, Fabric/Cloth, COLORED Carbon/Kevlar, Composite Envisions

Then lay a layer of this:
Hexcel IM2-C Intermediate Modulus Carbon Fiber Fabric 371gsm 12k 2x2 Twill 50” [F-1609] - $25.99 : Carbon Fiber Panels/Sheets, Fabric/Cloth, COLORED Carbon/Kevlar, Composite Envisions

Then we thought since we're already in the process, might as well add a little custom touch with this:
Carbon Fiber/ Red Kevlar Part Wrapping Kit w Clear Epoxy 2x2 Twill [725] - $81.99 : Carbon Fiber Panels/Sheets, Fabric/Cloth, COLORED Carbon/Kevlar, Composite Envisions

If I can remember to take pix throughout the process, I might throw a few on here to get some feedback.