Carbon & Kevlar laminates

ntsqd

Reaction
I noticed that the new C&D machine appears to have a woven kevlar laid-up dash. When I was still @ CSUC I got involved with the Human Powered Vehicle team (was the only aluminum welder around) and I noticed that the aero 'envelope' always had an inner most layer of kevlar when the rest of the part was woven carbon. I just assumed there was some strength advantage being that I don't know a lot about lay-ups. Turns out that it was a safety requirement of the sanctioning body. Seems that when you break carbon, the shards are very stiif (naturally) and very sharp. The kevlar was there to try to prevent the rider from being injured.

Has anything like this been addressed or discussed in the Dez racing world ? Just got to thinking that a carbon dash or door skin might pose a real hazzard to the occupants in the event of a serious accident.

TS

"It only seems kinky the first time"
-- Bumpersticker seen in Lost Wages

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
Not to mention carbon fiber is electrically conductive. Saw a project bike for a magazine go up in flames when there new carbon solo seat they got contacted the battery terminals.......

btshannon

Reaction
I was just messing around with a DVOM in the shop and I can tell you that carbon fiber is indeed conductive, (here comes the big) but, not as conductive as aluminum. I measured 30 ohms across a 1' piece of carbon fiber, and less than 1 ohm across a hunk of Al the same size. It isn't very busy in the shop today and I'm bored, okay?
Gotta go, the bossman cometh.

My own taste for the hops is very powerful, and I had no intention of spending a beerless weekend...