Carlos' beamed Dodge Cummins

clarke1

looking nice and STOUT!! if you dont mind me asking, what are your caster #'s at ride and at bump? Thing is a beast. We have that body style dodge with a flatbed on it for work. I have looked under at the front. They are seriously strong, so I think your beam design and execution is dead on..

-morgan

socalmoto

Finished welding the tierods and almost finished up the spindles. Spindles just need the brake tabs which will be welded on monday.

Also got a bunch of tubing in including some 2 x 0.188 dom

socalmoto

looking nice and STOUT!! if you dont mind me asking, what are your caster #'s at ride and at bump? Thing is a beast. We have that body style dodge with a flatbed on it for work. I have looked under at the front. They are seriously strong, so I think your beam design and execution is dead on..

-morgan
Bump is 19deg, ride is 12deg and droop will be around 4deg.

Got the cage started. Ill get better quality pics next round. There will be a LOT of triangulation with this cag

SpareChangeRacng

Looking good Steve. You're hauling butt on this thing and the work is nice. Loving it!

socalmoto

Looking good Steve. You're hauling butt on this thing and the work is nice. Loving it!
Well thank you

Got some more tubes in today. Took a while to figure out exactly how I wanted them but cutting some more angles and braces should be quick tomorrow.

Pic with the seats sittin. The stub tube left hanging out will be cut back.

There will be something cool at the top between the two vertical tubes tomorrow

Got the windshield bar in too

socalmoto

Mo tubes

And built an archway

Oh **
¡Ay, caramba!****
¡Ay, caramba!****
¡Ay, caramba!****
¡Ay, caramba!**

Andrew

Tubework's lookin' great. I am wondering though, why weren't the tubes welded first (at least in the section that would get covered) before other tubes intersect at the same point? Or am I just not seeing it?

socalmoto

Im building the cage in a way that it can be broken down and main tubes welded. With certain tubes out, the cage will pull forward and drop enough for me to weld the backside of the c pillar and the roof bars. I am still working out where i want tubes to run and i didnt want to start welding in tubes if i need to change any small part...... Although if i finish up the roof tubes today ill have what i need done and i will start welding monday, then push the cage back up, and start on the a pillars and tubes going out through the firewall. I have 5 roof tube layouts that will work with how I have the other tubes run, so we'll all see what i decide on.

socalmoto

Decided on a tube layout. Im just as concerned with cyclic loading over 10-15 years as i am with a big crash, so i decided that double overhead tubes to transfer loads from the front to rear will help keep any tubes from cracking over years of abuse. Ive also been working on tube layouts for the rear. Ohhhh yes, Ive recieved the go ahead from Carlos to start the rear as well.......but YOU will have to wait for that.

clarke1

no kidding with the triangulation.. looks good. keep on getting after it like this and it will be done in no time.. custom instrument panel going in?

socalmoto

Stock dash and instrument panel. At least for now. I am building a center console for gps, race radio, intercom, switches, etc.

Swapped out the steering to the new psc stuff

mexracer10

What are you guys doing for springs? There is a lot of weight sitting on the front of that thing and with no plans to push the engine back, I imagine there is going to be some heavy springs up front.

socalmoto

What are you guys doing for springs? There is a lot of weight sitting on the front of that thing and with no plans to push the engine back, I imagine there is going to be some heavy springs up front.
The springs are pretty close to the wheels and the motion ratio is almost 1 to 1, so the spring rate doesnt have to be that high. Our lower spring is going to be 550 and well see how that works out for the first test run.

socalmoto

Dropped some weight today, but updates on the rear will most likely wait till the front and cage get finished up

Jacob7672

Nimrod de Ashcraft
What a cool build. I had a 92" wide and linked dodge 1500 at one point, and after owning that I am glad to see how stout you are building this thing. Dodges are PIGS! This thing is beefy though and looks like it will be a ton of fun!

Nice work! I love those spindles

socalmoto

Looking good Steve!!!
Nice work! I love those spindles
Thank you sirs.

Are you gonna take out some wheelbase with the back half?
Im going to leave the wheelbase where its at. Right now its perfect fit for some 60" trailing arms. Plus theres a LOT going on in the rear so we need some room.

Got some tubes welded. I broke down the cage to just the main tubes and welded them 3/4 of the way, then put the triangulation tubes in and welded them 3/4 of the way. The cage wasnt able to drop as far as i hoped, but i was able to weld 360 on the a pillars, b pillars, and c pillar. The only thing im missing right now is the tops of the roof bars where they hit the b pillar. Its a close fit but i can get in there with my shorty tig torch. Ive got another idea to help get a little more room on top so well see how that goes tomorrow. I was on a roll and didnt take pics till the end of the day though.

mid b pillar

mid c pillar

top of c pillar

Rear center of c pillar

And the a pillar

socalmoto

Is the roll cage built out of .188 wall?
Sho nuff!

Got everything back up and welded today. Even the archway and gussets

Both the b and c pillars straddle the frame. So part of each tube is cut out on both sides so the tubes cant shear off the top of the frame. The tubes have 1-1.5" tube overhang down the side of the frame.