• Forum membership has its advantages....

Caster angles

Flea

I am at a critical part in building my J arms (I beam arms, not A-arms). They are all tacked together right now, but before I weld them up I need to make sure my caster is PERFECT. I dont want to have to fight my steering wheel cruising down the freeway. How much caster should I build into these Arms at ride height? And how accurate do I have to be from side to side? i.e. within half a degree? like if I have six degrees on one side and five and a half on the other will I notice this while driving on the street?

thanx...

GOD BLESS AMERICA! and hopefully my poor truck too.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Within 2.5 degrees and it should track straight woth no fighting.

Kris

"A man with a watch knows what time it is; with two watches, he is never sure" Joseph E. Shigley

ntsqd

Castor or Camber ?
I thot castor on that type of suspension was adjusted by the radius arm geometry.

TS

"Teach you all I know and you're still stupid"
-- Howdy Lee

V8Ranger

Caster is dependent on the radius arms but when the radius arms are permanently fixed to the I-beams you can't adjust it so you have to get it right the first time.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Caster and camber can be adjsuted on the ibeams +- 3 degrees with the 2 piece cams. I have them on my truck and it is an I beam set up. My caster is off about a degree due to the radius arms but it is not a problem with every day driving.

Kris

"A man with a watch knows what time it is; with two watches, he is never sure" Joseph E. Shigley

Flea

I have kingpin spindles so I will not be able to adjust anything, Once I weld these up its all over...that is why I have to be so careful. I don't want all my work to be a waste of time.

Crayfish

I built my I beams with 7 degrees caster at ride height and it tracks super straight, you can almost let go of the wheel through the bumps (almost). If I had it to do again I would have gone with less because more caster cuts down on turning radius, mine is kinda bad. More caster also helps your tires dig while turning, they kinda lean into the turns.

Good luck

Flea

hey that is a good point I never thought about the caster having an affect on traction before.

What did you use to measure the caster?