castle creations

so i dropped a mamba max 5700 system in my slash today, and off the bat was running 200 degrees at the motor. found out the gearbox was full of dirt and grit. so i cleaned and rebuilt the gear box, installed a fan on the speed control(which runs no more than 90 degrees max now) and put a tamiya heat sink on motor w/ a novak s/c fan over it and the motor. the motor fan isnt hooked up yet but i decided to run the truck a little while ago thru 1 pack. its 70 degrees outside and w/ a 2s reedy 5000 lipo, 16/86 gearing, no drag brakes, punch control on lowest setting, and timing retarded one setting from default. i was running 190 degrees at the motor after about 15 minutes of running pretty much wfo. other than re gearing lower, i dont know if im running at a normal temp for it not being hot outside or anything? does anyone know if the esc has a thermal shut down, im guessing it doesnt on the motor due to being sensorless? what should my max temp be at the end of a hard run?

ProfessionalPitMan

so i dropped a mamba max 5700 system in my slash today, and off the bat was running 200 degrees at the motor. found out the gearbox was full of dirt and grit. so i cleaned and rebuilt the gear box, installed a fan on the speed control(which runs no more than 90 degrees max now) and put a tamiya heat sink on motor w/ a novak s/c fan over it and the motor. the motor fan isnt hooked up yet but i decided to run the truck a little while ago thru 1 pack. its 70 degrees outside and w/ a 2s reedy 5000 lipo, 16/86 gearing, no drag brakes, punch control on lowest setting, and timing retarded one setting from default. i was running 190 degrees at the motor after about 15 minutes of running pretty much wfo. other than re gearing lower, i dont know if im running at a normal temp for it not being hot outside or anything? does anyone know if the esc has a thermal shut down, im guessing it doesnt on the motor due to being sensorless? what should my max temp be at the end of a hard run?
I have read so many different things on temperature. The one I seem to go by most is try and keep it under 200 degrees. That being said, I have a buddy who has one in a slash with 24/73 gearing. I assume his must get way hotter than 200 if you are at 190-200 already. His just started cogging and cutting out. Speed control is good and motor is toast. I don't think being sensorless it will go into thermal shut down, but under 200 you should be fine.

yea i dont see how people can get away with super tall gearing like that, unless you run for 5 mins or less. im gonna hook up that motor fan today and mess w/ the gearing a little more to see if i can get it to cool down.