Cats...

martininsocal

Reaction
Ok..heres the question...If the car comes with 2 inline catalytic converters from the factory, does it haveto have 2 to be in compliance with the California smog laws, or can one take the place of 2? If you have to maintain the original design, what was ford thinking with the 2 inlet Cat? I can tell just by looking at it with the crossover with the O2 sensore anout 2 inches away this aint gonna be cheap! Anyone else deal with this?

Thanks
Martin

RacerX

Reaction
I have an 89 F150 which had the 2 cats and the muffler. I put one cat and a muffler on it and have smoged my truck twice with no problems.

tedmales

Reaction
i think they run 2 with an O2 sensor after each one to make sure that they are working. you guys in cali are boned. here, i can turn the headers upside down and bring them out the hood and nobody cares. good luck

cleartoy

Reaction
Depends what year it is. If its 96 and up (OBD2) it is illegal to change the factory cat\cats out with anything but OEM cats(same amount).

On older fords, its common to replace the 2 factory cats with a single hi capacity NOX reducing cat.

martininsocal

Reaction
Cool- I have an 88, so I should be ok. Wanted to go with shorty headers, to a Y, then put in the O2 sensor, then a cat and a muff. I think one of the cats has plugged, lost my throttle pedal!