CD Player choices for prerunners?

sirhk100

Reaction
I thought I remembered a post about good vs. bad models of CD players to be used in Prerunners but couldn't find it in a search.

So, I would like to know what brand/model CD players you guys are using and how you like them? Do they skip? Can you see the display in the sun? Does it play burned discs? How does it deal with scratched discs? Do you overall like it or not? Is it XM or Sirus compatable and do you subscribe to either? And again, does it skip easy?

I thought I remembered someone saying that the panasonic "G" Shock line was bitchin for prerunners cause they took a lot to make it skip.

If you know, what does the CD player have for pre-amp outputs? I always look for something with F/R and Sub out puts so that's 3 sets. This is nice since I run two amps in my vehicles.

Just thought I'd get some info so I can start searching for the best deals for the new ride...

Khris

TDORSloppy

Reaction
If you are running amps for all the speakers you want to look for 4 Volt pre-outs. Most newer/higher end Sonys, Pioneers and big name brands have them. I've had great luck with a 1999 Sony CDX-C7850 that I got for real cheap ($350 - Ebay) Plays all higher quaility burned CDs (not the $.01 CDs), has a remote and 10 second anti-skip. I had it in my yota when I crashed and it wasn't mounted, didn't even phase it. Now I have it in my Burban and still works great. Here a site to check it out: Epinions CDX-C7850

sirhk100

Reaction
Yeah, all speakers will be ran off of amps. I'm not sure how many... 1 sub for sure (not 2) running Mono of my fosgate sub amp. Then at least 2 door speakers (probably seperates) running off my 4 channel Kenwood but I've got 2 more channels that I could use. I'll wait to get the truck and see where else I could possibly stuff 2 more. I'm just not familiar with the speaker locations on a '90 ext. cab yota.

That Sony looks nice... I was just checking out Panasonic's page and like the CQ-DFX983U model.

Khris

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
I have the Sony CDX-MP80 and it is YET to skip. Its got the little drawer just like your cd rom that pops out and it seems to hold the cd great. I would reccomend that model by far. A couple of my friends have that same model and they say its yet to skip. It also works with XM. The display is color changable so you can make it basically whatever color you want lol. It also plays MP3's which is really cool and it plays CD-R and CD-RW burned discs!
Get one on Ebay for about $250-$275.

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
Klaus has a nice radio in his Mustang that plays MP3 CD's also, and I think it was a good price. Not sure how it would do offroad, but he does drive that car like a maniac... I am going to need one in a few months also. What kind is it Klaus?

1992f150

Reaction
what about dust getting on the lens and stuff? When the player is playing mp3s, does it skip easier than normal cds?
I would think the mp3 players that dont read off a disc, insted they read those little insert things, would be the best cuz no moving disc, laser, etc....
Anyone ever tried using a marine cd player? Seems like they would make them fairly shock proof for a power boat.

michael_loomis

Reaction
marine cd players work good , but the quality of sound output isnt as good IMO . Khris , my clarion Pro audio works awesome , my only complaint is , i bought it before the mp3 craze , so it wont play that format and no XM . it never skips , plays scratches . the new version is full color screen though not blue like mine , and i believe it plays mp3 and XM or surius. maybe i'll be ready to sell mine cheap by the time your ready lol

sirhk100

Reaction
Dude, keep that in mind... If you're kinda in the market for a stereo let me know, I'll take yours off your hands!!!!

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Ya what a joke I spent like $1000 on stereo stuff a few weeks ago for The Piece! I know thats not a lot really for a stereo but its for the piece! lol.

I have only played MP3 cd's in it so far and it has not skipped once off road.

sirhk100

Reaction
WAIT WAIT WAIT!!!!! You dropped 1G on stereo stuff for the piece? Do the doors lock? What did you get? Obviously the deck. Amps? Subs? Door speakers? Can you actually hear it over all the other noises?

michael_loomis

Reaction
you mean the piece isnt worth a grand ??? shoot , ill buy it for a grand !!! or i can trade some stuff , like my PS1 , or my old 400mhz Emachine comp , or i have a really cool wall stand style entertainment center i need to get rid of !

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Ya the doors lock and its got a high tech security system so dont get any ideas

I got like the head unit, speakers, XM all that crap. You can hear it fine when the truck is off

Wait till you guys see the dash that is going in The Piece with digital display

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
How do you finance all this stuff?! You never work!! All you do is wrench on the piece and build old insightful cars to jump! I want your job!!

motoxscott

Reaction
You don't have to spend the big bucks for a CD player for your truck. This is what I had in my Superduty and now the Brown Bomber. It's doesnt ever skip a beat.

Jack

Reaction
I have a JVC, and it works great off road, and plays mp3,s got it cheap on line for 150. It has worked fine for about 6 months, but now it seems to skip on the cheap burnd mp3s going down the hwy for a long time??? maybe it is dust....

Do any of you have a Kenwood keg? Or any of the other phat noise products?

I am now waiting for the next generation to have a USB port on the front of the head unit so I can plug in my USB flash mem and play off of it.. Has anyone scene one with this yet?? I bought a USB flash card (256 meg) for 100, and in three weeks time they have come down to half that price and they now have 2 gigs avalible.

mattrick8888

Reaction
my stock cd player in my truck is badass! it has never skipped once. only thing i dont like about it is the limitation on adjustment.

frankh

Reaction
Look at the specs for the unit. you are looking for the "over samplimg rate". the higher the better.