Cell Phones in Desert

Jordan

Reaction
What cellular company do you recommend for best overall coverage including the desert? I have had Sprint PCS, Verizon and Cingular and none work well in the deserts or mountains or even in bedrooms! A few friends have AT&T and they work in the desert but they are the most expensive and I keep hearing horror stories about their billing problems and crappy customer service.

Anyone? Thanks!

Jordan

<font color=red>"The more we play the more we pay"</font color=red>

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
I have Nextel and other than the weird interference on my computer/speaker before it rings, I love it. Great coverage and you can't beat the FREE incoming calls (they don't charge you for minutes or anything for any incoming call!!) Plus the walkie talkie thing comes in handy for use with your friends!! (I sound like a Nextel Sales Rep! :)

See ya in the dirt!

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Yea I have Sprint and it sucks! It gets crappy coverage and their customer service just plain sucks! I had a Nextel at my work where I used to work at and it worked pretty much everywhere I went, and yes the walke talke feature is really cool. Just remember not to use it around someone you dont want to hear what the other person is saying :)

Go Big Or Go Home
United Jumping Truck Society
U.J.T.S. Manwhore

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
Fish you had a job? What a joke!

Jordan, I have AT&T and it works the majority of the time out in Ocotillo, Barstow and Lucerne. I do think they are overpriced compared to everyone else though, I have the basic plan and I get didly squat for free minutes.

Jordan

Reaction
Jason,

Yeah I keep hearing that. I have Sprint PCS right now and although I dont get desert coverage I do get a TON of minutes for less than all the other companies and no contract. I guess I will have to borrow the GF's cell when I hit the desert. She has AT&T! hahahaa

<font color=red>"The more we play the more we pay"</font color=red>

bandikook

Reaction
I have verizon. It works about 80 percent of the time in the dezert. I just have the prepaid and its pretty good if you dont talk on the phone all the time. And on weekends they give you 200 free minutes every single weekend. For me i find it to be fairly cheap and perfect for how much i use it.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
I get service almost everywhere I go. The only place I have found no service is going from vegas to tonopah on whatever highway that is....the start of nevada 1000 highway

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>
"Jesus loves you, everybody else thinks you're an A-hole"

Ryno

Reaction
I have AT&T, was with Sprint for about 2 years. Works great in Ocotillo, and the high dezert. I pay $50 for 500 anytime, like 2000 weekend. Sprint was great for more minutes per $$, but their service sucked...so did their coverage.

Ryno

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
It may not be the provider giving crappy coverage, you may have a crappy phone. My first phone with verizon sucked, My second one works everywhere I've been so far. It even works in dowtown Ensanada. Once I get out of town though I have to switch over to My mexi #. San Felipe you have to get a Mexi # too. Local number works in Cabo though, go figure.

klaus

Administrator
Reaction
I use Sprint for the last 2 years. I learned to accept its inperfections as most phone and carriers have flaws.

I use analog or digital roaming when in desert areas or better yet set it to auto-roam. A make shift antenna will help. For example in front of the slash-x holding the build in antenna onto the metal pole of the slash-x sign improves reception.

All the way from San Diego to Ensenada and also in town I have coverage. Set it to digital roam.

Sprint Customer service reply to my rate inquire:

"Please note that you will be charged the normal airtime for receiving
calls. For making local calls in Mexico, you will be charged at the
rate of $0.69 per minute. When you will make calls from Mexico to
United States of America, you will be charged $0.69 for roaming and
$0.25 for Long Distance. Hence, when you will make a call to United
States of America, you will be charged at the rate of $0.84 per
minute."

Treat your cell phone like a land line in Mexico. Dial 00 Country code Area Code Number to call back to the US or other US Cell phones in Mexico.

Example: 00-1-714-3487584

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
heathers word of advice: avoid sprint pcs, i dont get service anywhere(including my own house) so its on roam most of the time, and its turnin out to be costin the big bucks! $$$

SDranger

Reaction
I had sprint and didn't like it at all, it dint even work at my house! I have verizon now and like it a lot better. I havent taken it to the dezert yet, so i dont know how good it works out there. But i do know that when i had sprint if you go to the top of blowsand you can get full digital service!

97 Ranger 4x4
02 CR125

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Go with AT&T or Verizon and you wont be sorry been doing it for 25 years and ahve the most cell sites. Nextel will be obsolete in a few years when their 2 way patent runs out, but thats why carriers offer free mobile to mobile. I had cingular and the best phone they had to offer and they suck, coverage sucks and service sucks. THe only reason they have so many customers is because they have trendy ads, "cool" phones, and dirt cheap service....but remember you get what you pay for. Nextel is great at service in bad areas but incoming calls suck unless you like to hear the "please wait while we locate the Nextel customer" which means we have too many customers and not enough hardware to get the call through. So I say strongly to go with Verizon or AT&T and you wont be sorry. All phones are pretty much the same, they all have about the same power and the only thing difference is that you pay more for all the foofy crap. If its loud and can take a beating...buy it. If you need personal calendars and all that crap then you should have a palm pilot. I do suggest strongly to stay away from the Motorola V120c. I got one when they first came out and they suck, I have been through 7 and my girl has been through 4 in less then a year and this is due to crappy phone not physical abuse and every time I go down to have it replaced...somebody else is in for V120 problems too.

Kris

AllwaysRcn

Reaction
I have Nextel and Verizon. The Nextel is great until you cross the border. Thats what my verizon phone is for. Like Klaus posted, all you have to do is dial 00 then 1 then area code and it's like calling your next door nieghbor. My Verizon phone works perfectly from Ensanada, Pete's camp (S.F.), Valle T, and most places in between. For the B2K we had Sat phones so I didn't try verizon from Cabo, but I suppose this year I will. My Nextel works great everywhere here except some spots between Ely and Tonopah.

<font color=red>"Quality has no fear of time"</font color=red>

BlueCoyote

Reaction
While I hate ATT customer dis-service and billing practices, you can get service in most places in the hi-desert. Some times you may have to get to the top of a hill, but you can get service. Ditto on reception in MX - have gotten a good signal in some very remote areas, but did not know the tricl to dial the US. Thanks for the heads up on Cingular, Sprint, as I was getting ready to make a change. Will stiy with ATT as a long time dissatisfied customer.

Who are you calling Coyote ugly?

AllwaysRcn

Reaction
Kritter -re: "Nextel will be obsolete in a few years when their 2 way patent runs out"

What do you mean?

<font color=red>"Quality has no fear of time"</font color=red>

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Do you mean their patent on their 2 way radios? What would make them obsolete?

See ya in the dirt!

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Exactly. I did a study on patent laws and that was the one I researched. Thats why I know companies offer free mobile to mobile to compete with that and once there patent is up, all the companies will be doing it.

Kris