centermounted arms

Custom_Yota

Reaction
hey i have a question about centermounted a-arms? I know how to do the lowers but my question is do you have to move the motor way back to centermount the uppers? and also would it be easier to chop the frome and make the front end all tube or cut and channel the frame?

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
Look at the pics of my truck. the pics towards the bottom of the page.
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.jdfab.com/forsale/truckvideos.htm>http://www.jdfab.com/forsale/truckvideos.htm</A>

With my setup I kept the engine where it is and I put the upper arm pivots as far in as I could. With the header on the 22R engine I couldn't go very far. I think the pivot is at the inside edge of the frame. But the longer you can make your upper arms the more travel you will be able to get out of a uniball that is mounted in the traditional way like mine. If you can go with a vertical uniball then you will get more travel. I get 17" usable with mine. The lower arms are 24" long and I forget how long the uppers are, probably around 17-18".
For my new prerunner I might try to use an upper J arm setup that has the pivots towards the front. Then I could put the pivots closer together in front of the engine. But then you have the radiator to deal with, so we'll see what I come up with when the time comes.

You would have more options if you could build a tube frame in the front. You better know what you are doing though.... ;)

And I forgot to say that my suspension works great how it is, and I don't get any bump steer.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by jdfab on 11/12/02 10:45 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

cleartoy

Reaction
I know a guy that made centermount J arms up top on his yota that pivoted directly behind the grill on his subframe. Of course the radiator was behind the cab. He had center mount lower arms. It used 14" Bilstien 9100 coil overs with 275 over 500 springs with FOX air bumps and cycled 21". This was with horizontal uniballs upper and lower.

94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

jarreptolson

Reaction
i remember seeing a white fullsize chevy on the SDprerunners web site that had a similar center mounted upper arm, very clean setup if i remember. Someone has got to have a picture of that or is this just one more reason to start up SDprerunners again

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Thats Beldin's prerunner most likely.

Kris
"Buy American before it's too late..."

jarreptolson

Reaction
the truck i am talking about is a 88-98 body style, i believe beldins is way older (still a really nice truck) up until the d-day mishap

Ryno

Reaction
Jarrett-

I think the truck you are talking about is the Baja Rod. It's a 88-98 body on a '72 frame. ZZ4 motor, Ford 9". I don't remember who built it, but it is an awesome prerunner.

Ryno

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
Did it have a lot of bump steer?

On an earlier thread some one stated that there was a chevy with centermount arms, it was a new body style 99-02 it was pretty sic, black to i think. j-arm was bent around the motor and then bent down to clear the frame. lots of work.

Anyone can escape into sleep, we are all geniuses when we dream.

drtdevil93

Reaction
one mount is just right in front of the steering box, the other behind it. it looks really close but nothing contacts anything through the whole cycle. there is very little bumpsteer, unnoticeable to me. it does 16" of usable travel, and is very stable on and off the road. i have a windy road by my house (by north orange county court house) that ive blown a couple peoples mind on. my buddy with a honda thought no one could go through it faster than him, and i took him through it about 5 mph faster than his coilovered honda could. i just need a swaybar to reduce the bodyroll a little bit, and bypasses up front and it will be good to go.

erik

geoff

Reaction
pretty sick setup, but why the stock idler arm? is it gusseted?

awesome idea tho, glad to finally see pictures! take more! =)

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams." -- Willy Wonka

drtdevil93

Reaction
stock idler arm because i got impatient, and was also broke. im taking it back to baja shop in a couple months for more steering, bypass shocks, spindles, cnc brakes. surprisingly though, i havent had any problem with the idler. aj plated it a little bit, and its worked just fine. it is the first thing that pops in to my head when i see something big that im about to hit, though, and will be redone.

erik

geoff

Reaction
god thats really realllly nice. How did you get around the pan? or is the subframe that low.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams." -- Willy Wonka