Centrifugal Supercharger! yes or no

I have a project that im curently working on its a 07 silverado that im putting the camburg front suspsion, and i have a small engine 4.3L that is curently only putting out a little over 200 hp and 220 lbs of torque, ive been looking into the powerdyne supercharger for the 4.3 s10 blazer, should i modify this to work on my engine or just say forget it and go with a bigger engine all together like the 5.3 or 6.0 whats your opinions???:eek:

truggyman44

The powerdyne is a bad option imo. Go with a 6.0 and you'll be set. There is a ton of info on performancetrucks.net about the 6.0 swaps.

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
6.0 engines like fuel ALOT my wifes truck has a 6.0 and yes it has more pulling power than my 5.3 but the other 96% of the time i get 20 mpg she gets 14. My 2006 shortbed 2wd has a 5.3 and a Magnacharger and a reprogramed computer It gets 23mpg and puts out 330hp [at 6500 elevation] to the ground It's a friggin blast to drive. my buddy has the same truck except he did the headers,catback,programmer,air intake cam and springs, he has spent more on this crap than i did on the blower and i can still dust his A Put the blower on and when you sell the truck yank it off and stick it on the new ride:cool:

mebuildit

I personally would not do something like that. I'd either look for an engine swap, which can be cheaply done if you plan it well. With any type of superchargers there is always something that can go wrong. Remember, keep it simple!
LS engnies are a dime a dozen anymore, watch the ads and do a swap.
Good luck on your decision.

thanks for the help, i think your right cuz the powerdyne isnt going to bring that v6 up to standard of the v8 power, what kind of blower are you running?

DeCampRacing

Rather than spend $3-4k with an SC kit, I would spend the money on a V-8 swap. I have a Vortech SC on my 5.4 Ford, it's works well above 4,000 rpms but doesn't do much for bottom end power/torque.

so vortech really is the way to go then thanks for the help everyone

DeCampRacing

If you go with one, Vortech is a good choice. I would recommend a kit that comes complete with all the brackets, fmu and other retrofits to make it work right, The kit also comes with chip reprogram.

Also should mention that Vortech has great product support. The unit started leaking a little oil internally after 5k miles. I sent it back to Vortech and they replaced all the seals free of charge, 10k miles later no problems.

dirtdudeaz

no to centrifigual supercharger.

Go with a 6.0L swap, cam it, and then put on a magnacharger supercharger. I guaruntee you will sh** your pants

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
Vortec is a good unit but drilling a hole in the oil pan for the return line is a pain stick with the magnacharger. The suggestion of putting a 6.0 in THEN installing a supercharger is a excellent idea that might be something i might consider during this winter:D

griffin #11

hey DeCampRacing im wondering if that procharger is on a v6 ford...if it is can you tell me some specs on it....like amnt of boost and powr gains and cost. thanks alot

DeCampRacing

hey DeCampRacing im wondering if that procharger is on a v6 ford...if it is can you tell me some specs on it....like amnt of boost and powr gains and cost. thanks alot
Griffin,

It's a Vortech SC and it's on my 5.4l V-8 Ford. Can't recall the exact cost, I think around $3,500 for the kit. It pushes 9lbs boost (according to the gauge) above 5,000 rpm's. It's hard to tell what the power gains are because it's an F-350 4wd 7,900lb tank They claim about 50-60hp gain. It didn't help much in the torque range, however offroad it screams in low gears. Other mods are Headers, Flowmaster, e-fans, 75mm throttle body, trans go shift kit, 35" tires w/4.56 gear ratio.

A roots style charger such as Magna or Kenne Belle (Whipple) is a better performer at lower rpms, as it doesn't need as much rotation to "spool" up to power. At the time there was no such kit offered for my vehicle. It is easy to bolt on a magna charger, but unless you are an engine mechanic (which i'm not) you will need belt mods, fuel managment mods, and chip mod etc. I like the kit because it had everything you need turn key + detailed instructions. I'm a "shade tree" mechanic and was able to do the install myself in about 10 hrs. total. The truck is still extremely streetable and reliable, I take it to Mex. for the 500 and 1,000 every year.

griffin #11

oh ok looks great! haha but id go with the 6.0l because youd need to make a lot of boost for the other motor to match the power. plus that 6.0 has lot more torque down low. good luck with the build

DeCampRacing

oh ok looks great! haha but id go with the 6.0l because youd need to make a lot of boost for the other motor to match the power. plus that 6.0 has lot more torque down low. good luck with the build
Like they say "there's no replacement for displacement" That's why Ford finally got the bigger 6 liter rolling for the Raptor.

dirtdudeaz

I know themagnachargers come with a programmer and everything else needed to install and run. Or if you want it to be the best....find a trusted dyno tuning shop in your local area and let them adjust the computer. It will be worth it.