Chairman's Cup debacle

MeFirst

Reaction
The Chairman's Cup debacle needs it's own thread.

For those that weren't there, nine Pro2's were lined up door to door in front of the barn for the start. The problem is that they had about 100' before the track narrows down to about 30' wide.

The result? Only two or three trucks made it through clean. Todd LeDuc never even made it to the gravel pit. Three trucks were wadded on the inside about 50' from the start line because they had no where to go. A couple other trucks were damaged and dropped out in the first few laps. Only two Pro2's finished the race.

Whose idea was this? USAC? Crandon officials? Everyone around me realized this was a bad idea as they were lining up. How did this not occur to those in charge? Seriously?

Wouldn't a LeMans start or a three-wide start have been reasonable? I realize contact is going to occur but they might as well have held a demolition derby starting like that.

hoeker

Reaction
they should have started them after the sign on the downhill grade, if that was too much of a lead for the 4's they could have waited to throw the green till 10 seconds after the 4's left the line. i sat this race out and and watched and the start was pathetic.

mac got spun out and didn't stand a chance at the win so he pulled off

Slash01z

Reaction
Rob mac got tangled up with mark jenkins right in the entrance of the ford skybox straight.

I agree who ever came up with the idea of trying to fit 9 pro 2 through a place not wide enough for 5 was not thinking. Doug fortin and greg adler where stuck together before the even made it under the borgwarner sign.

Ot just doesnt make sence how they say they dont want to loose trucks in the landrush start bt not one crash in the actuall turn 1. Then they turn around and come up with the start for pro 2. 2 rows of 4 and 5 would have worked.

I liked the new whoop section after the finish line. The track was so wet when I got the ride in the pace truck. Luke almost lost it in front of the skyboxes went down in the grass! was a ton of fun to see crandon in a drivers point of view!

ragracin

Reaction
Marty Hart and Jeff Kincaid took off the gloves and went toe to toe did you by chance happen to catch that race. That is more note worthy than who was the one who made the call on where to start the pro 2's. Was it a bad place? No brainer but it is over and done. The pro lite battle is worth more recognition. I am sure Jeff Kincaid is not going to just sit down and wait, I am sure he is already working on getting that win back in the fall. In the fall it will be all or nothing, should be good to watch. Not trying to jack your thread but no matter how many times you go over the cup start it will still be the same. I think the racing was great all weekend long. Pro 2,Pro4, Pro lite

little bart

Reaction
Marty Hart and Jeff Kincaid took off the gloves and went toe to toe did you by chance happen to catch that race. That is more note worthy than who was the one who made the call on where to start the pro 2's. Was it a bad place? No brainer but it is over and done. The pro lite battle is worth more recognition. I am sure Jeff Kincaid is not going to just sit down and wait, I am sure he is already working on getting that win back in the fall. In the fall it will be all or nothing, should be good to watch. Not trying to jack your thread but no matter how many times you go over the cup start it will still be the same. I think the racing was great all weekend long. Pro 2,Pro4, Pro lite

That was an amazing weekend from a spectator point of view. There was some great battles, The pro-light class is really heating up. Lots of crashes kept the crowd into it and I really liked that little whoops section after the finish line. Also I actually kinda liked the competition yellow. Only things I have to complain about are the Pro-2 start as mentioned before, Not letting any water in on Sunday, and I don't know if anyone else caught the uncalled for attempt at a joke made by one of the announcers about how excited Evans was about his truck on Saturday. All in all well worth the money and I will definetly be back.

wild offroad

Reaction
pro 2's normally started 2 wide then 4 deep. this way the pro 4's have to pass 9 trucks to win. side by side was a bad idea

racefan2041

Reaction
you could ask 100 people will this work and every single one will say NO!!!
That is very true!

I would have to say it was an exciting race with all the crashes. But if you are looking for a race where the top positions were being battled for I thought it was the worst.
Sure there was some battles for position early in the race but most trucks dropped out for mechanical problems or got wrecked. At this time I'm not exactly sure how many trucks completed all the laps but I'm positive that half of them didn't. But thats just racing. Sometimes they are good and sometimes you get what you get.

How about that Adrian Cenni crash? I noticed at least 4 or 5 trucks didn't slow down much for the caution. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think speed through a caution area is 30-35 mph? Why wasn't the black flag used?

racefan2041

Reaction
Is that what a "Land Rush" start is......?

Typically no. The only reason the pro 2s lined up where they did is because the pro 4s have the overall advantage cause of four wheel drive. Early in the race the track is wet and the pro 4s can navigate through the turns much better than pro 2s. Later in the race as the track dries the pro 2s can have a slight advantage cause they can get a little more speed on the straight ways. Pro 2s always hope the for a fast drying track!

Bucksey

Reaction
Typically no. The only reason the pro 2s lined up where they did is because the pro 4s have the overall advantage cause of four wheel drive. Early in the race the track is wet and the pro 4s can navigate through the turns much better than pro 2s. Later in the race as the track dries the pro 2s can have a slight advantage cause they can get a little more speed on the straight ways. Pro 2s always hope the for a fast drying track!
Yeah they lined them up farther back than normal. The track had been drying up quickly all day due to the small amount of cloud cover. Usually they started the Pro-2's down more towards the Sky Box. It was definitely a poor decision to start them on the corner there. They would have been much much better doing a delayed green for the Pro-4's. However this could have caused a huge issue as if their was a crash in Turn 1 they would have the Pro-4's getting the green just as the caution would come out. It could be extremely dangerous.

The placement of the start for the Pro-2's was just right if the track was wider. Huseman was running at a pace where he would have been battling Ricky and Oberg on the final laps and it was dry enough that he wouldn't have had an overwhelming advantage.

I would have to say it was an exciting race with all the crashes. But if you are looking for a race where the top positions were being battled for I thought it was the worst.
Sure there was some battles for position early in the race but most trucks dropped out for mechanical problems or got wrecked. At this time I'm not exactly sure how many trucks completed all the laps but I'm positive that half of them didn't. But thats just racing. Sometimes they are good and sometimes you get what you get.

How about that Adrian Cenni crash? I noticed at least 4 or 5 trucks didn't slow down much for the caution. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think speed through a caution area is 30-35 mph? Why wasn't the black flag used?
Well the race was pretty bad especially when 3-4 trucks were already handicapped less than 5 seconds into the race. It would have almost been better to run two rows of Pro-2's but whatever its through.
Actually only 4-5 trucks really were on the track at the finish. However I would say about 2-3 others pulled off to let the leaders battle and not wreck their truck more than it already was.

Cenni definitely messed up his truck. And well being that it was the Cup race they were going a little faster than normal but they were down to below 50 for sure and were getting back on the gas sometimes a little soon as they passed the track workers but it was a big race. They would be going full throttle down the start straight stretch and slow once they got into turn one and they did keep it single file and decent speeds. It wasn't too bad, it just seemed worse because it's a tight area and a very very high speed part of the track.

All in all the race was great up till about 4 laps left when only two trucks were really in contention. Huseman had dropped while being the last Pro-4 with a shot. The Leduc's were doing alright for awhile but Kyle messed up on the finish line corner and blocked up the field behind him just enough for R.J and Oberg to make it their own race. Curt Leduc was running at a quick pace but was way to far behind to even battle the two front runners. R.J and Oberg definitely ran some quick laps though being the only two out there.

All in all IMO it was a great weekend. A little dusty and the track took a beating but glad to be at the races again for the first time this year.

Good luck the rest of season to all drivers and crews.

jmason912

Reaction
I agree it wasn't the best starting location, but the drivers need to use their head.

I'll quote Dan Vandenheuvel - "some guys just run out of talent in the first 50 feet."

hoeker

Reaction
I agree it wasn't the best starting location, but the drivers need to use their head. "
those 9 pro-2's had a very small chance of winning that race and they could only win by getting out front and getting there immediately. for that reason they all had to HOPE they could get a better start than the other 8 trucks. they did what they had to do, RJ and Oberg got lucky, the rest lost because of a poor starting location.

john, this wasn't a points race, it was win or loose. if mac sat back on the start and let the carnage happen he would have still lost.

i started there once, but i think it was 3x3 that time.

hoeker

Reaction
Why can't you start the Pro-2s in the regular starting area (maybe a little farther up) and then wait so many seconds and start the Pro-4's? Instead of starting them up the track?
they used to do it that way but it was a challenge getting it timed right plus a safety problem if a 2wd has problems right in front of the 4's. they need time to stop them.