Changing rear sprocket size+new chain?

Dezertpilot

Reaction
Ok guys heres the deal, I have a 2008 KTM 530 exc-r with 14/48 gearing and stock chain. I can max the bike out at 103mph but when do I ever need to go above 80 mph?
Right now I do not use 1st gear as the bike is super low, I only use it up steep climbs or if I am stopped in the dunes and need to get going again. If I went with a 50 rear sprocket would 1st gear be usable again on a regular basis? Also would I have to go with a new chain? I am almost positive I would. The bike is used mainly for Ocotillo and Mexico dezert, but I am looking to be able to ride trails in the future. Thanks!

BANNEDFROMBAJA

2317 Cherimoya Drive Suite A Vista, CA 92084
Reaction
upgrade from the stock chain to something better like the D I D chain's

CHASER

Reaction
A one or two tooth change in the rear isn't a huge jump. But a one tooth jump on the counter shaft is noticeable. If you try to widen up 1st then your 5th (or are KTM's 6 speeds? Whatever...) will also be taller and your top speed will increase. Is it that important to you to have a more usable 1st? If you bump up the counter tooth one then you prob will be ok chain wise. I think I would leave it and deal with a tight first. A wide range is never a bad thing.
For example... when I'm riding single track I like the 450X stock gearing = 13/51 but when riding Score Mex stuff I jump to 14or15/48. I would love to have the tight first and a high top gear that your talking about without changing anything.

Disclaimer....... I've had a few cocktails so I might have my gearing wrong. But I don't think so.

Dezertpilot

Reaction
The street legal KTMs are 6 speeds like what I have. Stock is 14/48 or that might be 13 or 15/48. So when I went to the 48 rear versus the 45 stock it lowered by top end by probably near 20 mph. So I am looking to go to a more trail friendly 50 rear to be able to use all the gears all the time versus always starting in 2nd due to 1st being so low. I am happy with the stock o-ring chain for now, I will not change unless it breaks. So CHASER my gearing on my exc-r is wayyyyy different than your X considering your stock rear is a 51.