Chapo Racing - Champs To Cheaters: The Baja Story

ChapoRacing

Reaction
What's going on guys? Yesterday we released a video on Facebook and YouTube, and Joey DiGiovanni suggested we post the video here as well to get some feedback. Let me know what you guys think!

Chapo

mp_tx

Reaction
Do you have proof other racers used the road like Stella route GPS files, or is your stance based on rumor and conjecture? Why don’t you name names in your video?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChapoRacing

Reaction
Do you have proof other racers used the road like Stella route GPS files, or is your stance based on rumor and conjecture? Why don’t you name names in your video?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, we do have proof that other racers used Morelia Road. There's a driver from a different class that was also a podium finisher and he took the same road. We have chosen to keep those names private until we can be assured by SCORE that they won't penalize those teams.

ekozy39

Reaction
TJDC race had this exact thing happen and there is video showing the winner who was penalized follow another car up the "illegal" line, but only the winner was hit with a time penalty.

az_amsoil

Reaction
Good luck with the fight guys...I don't feel you should have been DQ'ed, time penalty?? Maybe...sucks for sure.

SummerTime

Reaction
13:45 is spot on, they usually mention Morelia road being off limits but its always a word of mouth thing. It sucks being singled out, if they are going to enforce penalties (as they well should) it should be uniform. Lots of "creative" lines witnessed at TJDC; spots that were specifically pointed out at the DM as off limits and we were all told they would have eyes on and big penalties. We purposefully ran a clean race giving up a lot of time each lap and waited for penalties to be handed down that never came. Still Finished strong so no complaints really. I don't think anyone wants the rules to be more strict as freedom is synonymous with offroad racing, just explicitly defined and evenly enforced. I feel for you guys, a DQ is a hell of a punishment.

Honda48X

Reaction
WOW. Very well done Video. I hope you will win after win. You guys look like hard and dedicated workers. You deserve the win period!!!

Baja Dad

Reaction
bummer !!!
VCP to VCP IS BS!!!
STAY ON MARKRD RACELINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I still stand by rule #1
if you stray off it you should get dinged!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

BigBlue&Goldie

Reaction
This sucks. We recently discovered that a highly respected organization is willing to compromise integrity for notoriety.

I hope peers in your class step up and support you in this.

rkracing

Reaction
Sounds like Score should have been more clear or used more Vcps in that area which im sure they will now. Dq seems harsh as well, a time penalty would have been more appropriate. Tough deal for sure maybe Score counted on all teams knowing that Morelia road is typically used for chase access only and not a race line.

DanMcMillin

Crane Motorsports
Reaction
Lesson learned, don’t follow a new line you didn’t pre-run on race day, lol.

I’m curious how you didn’t miss VCP 38 if you went out to Morelia road at what looks like minute 9:40 in the video? The race line was pretty much straight-lined right to it.

Bummer deal all around, though. Probably time SCORE refreshed the racers of not using Morelia Road. It’s been an unwritten rule for years now. Best of luck at the Baja 1000!

Jarballo91

Reaction
Does Stella's course awareness work prior to the race? (i.e. Do you have one install in your pre-runner?)
Mike
We have Stella devices availables for rent in the next BAJA 1000 prerunn!

This to help you guys with the navegation in the course and check VCPs, Speed Zones & Danger zones. Plus to this, your chase team will have a live tracking of the race car.

If someone is interested please send me an email to: jarballo@anube.es

Steve Marolda

Reaction
What a bunch of crap, this is like dealing with Government, they're not always correct but they're never wrong. Good luck guys.

Total Loss

Reaction
You guys need to add "Making professional videos defending your position on the rules" to your SHORT list of racing duties.

Good luck.

Whatever happened to the good ole days when the winner of a point to point UTV dez race was THE finisher?