• Forum membership has its advantages....

Charging Ipad 9.5 while using LeadNav

ErikIrvine

All,

Has anybody found a hard wire whip that has a USB for charging, AND a 3.5mm jack for plugging in to intercoms for the new Ipads? We want to hard wire everything, but it seems the only available option is to Bluetooth wirelessly LeadNav to intercom while Ipad is plugged in charging off car. Any insight??

Was hoping for an Amazon link to a whip that has one plug into Ipad, and two plugs out 1) USB and 2) audio jack. Thanks!

Zambo

On my ipad, the audio port and the charging port are separate. Do the new ipads have audio and charging through the lightning port?

punchdrunk monkey

Zambo- Are you getting noise in your helmet while charging? I was the first time I used it in my prerunner. Then I changed my stereo out to a bluetooth and the noise is gone. I haven't tried it in the race car yet.
I just bought leadnav and am trying to learn the ins and outs. Are you good with it?

LantanaTX

Last year I almost got an iPhone 7 but went with an iPhone 6 Plus so that I could run Lead Nav with a separate audio input and charge while I was using it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zambo

Zambo- Are you getting noise in your helmet while charging? I was the first time I used it in my prerunner. Then I changed my stereo out to a bluetooth and the noise is gone. I haven't tried it in the race car yet.
I just bought leadnav and am trying to learn the ins and outs. Are you good with it?
How were you running the audio into the intercom? Through the front 3.5mm jack or through an AUX connector to the rear of the intercom? I didn't have a lot of noise in my prerunner truck but that is gone now. It may be an option if you're getting charging noise to use a line filter or just charge the device with a separate lithion ion battery pack that isn't connected to the car's 12v system. Or hell, maybe plug the ipad into the battery pack and use the 12v car system to charge the battery. I dunno.

ErikIrvine

Palomar Communication Jon said when you try to charge off car battery and hardwire aux you make an unintended ground. They sell a $75 inline filter that fixes it

ErikIrvine

Last year I almost got an iPhone 7 but went with an iPhone 6 Plus so that I could run Lead Nav with a separate audio input and charge while I was using it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah my codriver is too stupid to do something like that!

johndjmix

Get the name brand one. We got a cheapo and every time we tried to use it it would work for 30 seconds then the iPhone would say “unsupported hardware” or something like that and it would turn off the audio and charging.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

lllux

Don't use a cheap charger with your Apple devices. All Apple devices use tristar chip to communicate with the charging block. Cheap charging blocks will fry this chip and you will not be able to charge the device unless you have the chip removed and soldered back on.

ErikIrvine

Guys, the pig tail you suggested worked perfect last race! Thanks for the insight!