Charity BBQ at DRIVE/ORW Race 9-19-09

dwasser

Reaction
Thanks to the hard work of Mike Harvey we have lined up our charity organization for the post race BBQ at the ORW Grand Prix. ORW is graciously going to be providing the food and drinks for the event. DRIVE will set up the equipement, and Mike and his fellow students from Cal Poly Pomona State University will be cooking it all up and collecting donations.

"The group that will be preparing the meal is a group of students from Cal Poly Pomona State University. We pride ourselves on bettering our lives while helping out the lives of others. We donate time and hold charitable events to help the community as a whole. I felt that it would be a great way to help the desert racing community, which I love immensely and am a member, and its surrounding community by giving back to worthy a cause. If all goes well with this event i would like to hold larger and more profitable events. this is just a stepping stone for future endeavors." .......Mike Harvey

The charity in which we will be raising money for is YouthAIDS. YouthAIDS and its Parent Philanthropy PSI(Population Services International) are working in more than 60 countries around the world to help stop the spread of HIV/AIDS, especially among the world's most vulnerable, young people. Youth Aids approach stresses self-empowerment and healthy decision-making among youth, including the use of effective health products and services such as HIV counseling and testing. Our approach targets and educates at-risk youth groups through a variety of ways, including the use of music, television and SPORTS, peer education and community mobilization.
With a $10 contribution, PSI is able to provide one youth with a year of necessary health products, services and valuable health education to help educate and protect them against HIV.

In the United States
• Roughly one million people are living with HIV/AIDS in the United States.
• Since the start of the AIDS epidemic, 1.5 million Americans have been infected with HIV and more than 524,000 have died of AIDS.
• At least 40,000 people are infected each year.
• African Americans account for 48% of new HIV infections.
• AIDS is the leading cause of death for African American women aged 25 to 34 and HIV rates among Hispanic women are increasing.
• The number of women living with HIV has tripled in the last two decades.
• At least half of all new infections are among people under the age of 25.
• Washington, DC has the highest HIV/AIDS prevalence rates in the United States - one in 20 people are living with HIV or AIDS.

Global
• 33.2 million people now live with HIV or AIDS.
• In 2007, approximately 2.5 million people were infected with HIV.
• Every day, over 6800 people become infected with HIV - almost five people per minute.
• 5700 people die from AIDS every day.
• One child dies every minute.
• 15 million children around the world have been orphaned by AIDS, losing one or both parents to the disease.
• Every fifteen seconds, another person age 15-24 becomes infected with HIV/AIDS.

Most people living with HIV are unaware they are infected. Knowing their status is critical in preventing the spread of HIV.
Without a cure, education and prevention are the most effective ways to stop the spread of HIV.
-It is this prevention and education in which PSI and YouthAIDS is trying to achieve.

YouthAIDS is a global initiative of PSI working in over 60 countries to spread awareness of HIV/AIDS and to educate and empower young people to protect themselves against the disease.

M.Harvey1600

Reaction
please come out and support our cause... this is going 2 be a great event and the volunteers that will be preparing the meal will also be volunteering at checkpoints, road crossings, start finish and scoring during this DRIVE racing event... i am very proud to be apart of this event. for those that have volunteered in the past there's no better feeling than knowing that u have done something to help out the lives of people less fortunate than yourselves.

please come out DRIVE is a great organization and are in it for its racers as well as the surrounding community...
even if you are not racing you should come out and spectate, DRIVE is some of the best promoters out there
lets get as many racers out there and race with DRIVE they are here to stay, and of course help out with the charity event....

Thank you so much for reading,
Mike Harvey

ultrablew

Reaction
Looking forward to a great event! It is awesome to see this series grow by the race. I couldn't be happier for getting the opportunity to go racing and donate to a great cause! Thanks for bringing these 2 together since I'll be missing the powder puff this year...:(

M.Harvey1600

Reaction
the powder puff was what gave me the idea... y not have more events that donate to charity??? its great P.R. for the off road community... i have more ideas for future events and many more charities lined up... i really want to do an event to benefit Alzheimer's research... since my grandfather died of Alzheimer's and was an avid offroader, he was in "on any sunday" built all of the spirit of riverside engines back in the day, walker evans and ivan stewarts engines years ago.... so i am excited for what the future has n store for DRIVE and different charities that we can help out!!!

thanx for ur support Ultrablew... lets make this event huge and get those competitor #'s up in the DRIVE series... its a wonderful series.. cant wait 2 actually get 2 race an event!!!

Not much longer til i will b able 2

baja_racer

Reaction
A charity BBQ.........that's perfect, I get to eat good bbq and someone benefits from it!!!!!

Where does the line start?????

dezertgirl

"RDC's Social Butterfly"
Reaction
Doug I will actually be able to attend this race as a volunteer... I've even put in a request to only work half a day so I can make it down to work contingency for you guys if you need the help :eek:

This is an awesome idea... giving something back to the community is where it's at!! I loved working with DRIVE as a volunteer and look forward to next years events as well! :D

dwasser

Reaction
Doug I will actually be able to attend this race as a volunteer... I've even put in a request to only work half a day so I can make it down to work contingency for you guys if you need the help :eek:

This is an awesome idea... giving something back to the community is where it's at!! I loved working with DRIVE as a volunteer and look forward to next years events as well! :D
That would be great. Brian will get a hold of you soon. He's on vacation right now.

Thanks!

Brian & Amy

Reaction

That would be great. Brian will get a hold of you soon. He's on vacation right now.

Thanks!
I'm back! :D

It will be great to have you back at a race Gabby! You are one of the O.G. DRIVE Volunteer Team and we really missed you :)

This is going to be a great race, great fundraiser for a worthy cause, and a great time spent with good friends.

Props to Doug for once again turning Plaster City desert racing into something more than just going around in circles in the dirt.

1. DRIVE Desert Clean-Up
2. Supporting the local Military (El Centro Navy) with their off-road complex
3. Helping kids with HIV/AIDS....

And this is just DRIVE's first season!

DRIVE rocks!

-Brian & Amy

dezertgirl

"RDC's Social Butterfly"
Reaction

Thanks!

It will be great to have you back at a race Gabby! You are one of the O.G. DRIVE Volunteer Team and we really missed you :)

This is going to be a great race, great fundraiser for a worthy cause, and a great time spent with good friends.

Props to Doug for once again turning Plaster City desert racing into something more than just going around in circles in the dirt.

1. DRIVE Desert Clean-Up

DRIVE rocks!

-Brian & Amy
Looking forward to the race and of course hanging out with all the DRIVE peeps :D

M.Harvey1600

Reaction

1. DRIVE Desert Clean-Up

DRIVE rocks!

-Brian & Amy
deffinitely,
and i have more ideas n the works... and i think that if all goes well Sept 19th DRIVE will be onboard with doing more events and i will help plan and set them up...

I think DRIVE is awesome and i havent even gotten to race with them yet!!! shows a lot for the character of DRIVE and all its Volunteers...

M.Harvey1600

Reaction
I gotta give this thread a lil NERF to keep it on the front page!!!

After all it is for a great cause... trust me everyone u will feel better about everything n ur lives because u will help out people less fortunate than urselves!!! we get to race n the desert all year, just for the fun of it while there r people out there living with Terminal illnesses and living very tough lives... there is so much we can do 2 help every charity available to us and it will in-turn reflect highly on us... i feel that by giving back to the outside community maybe the ECO-NAZI's may relax and get off our backs a lil bit??? just a thought!