Charlynn power and tight ujoint just dont mix

DOG ON

RDC's illegal immigrant
Reaction
I think I did a pretty bad mistake the way I set up my steering on my prerunner....

I dont know if the Ujoints are too close together or what, but I get a pulsing sensation (hard to steer , then suddendly easy) as I turn the steering wheel....Very much as the ujoints unfold and fold in certain angles.....I dont think it is a Charlynn problem, or maybe it needs a bit more pressure for the ujoint issue to be practically indistinguishable....

Is the charlynn poorly position in this setup? What would you guys do differently?

Thanks

Attachments

punchdrunk monkey

Reaction
sounds like your u-joints are binding. To much angel on them. What about mounting your charlynn directly to the rack?? That would ease the angles on the u-joints.

Ryan_P

Reaction
sounds like your u-joints are binding. To much angel on them. What about mounting your charlynn directly to the rack?? That would ease the angles on the u-joints.
Looks to be as close as he's gonna get it. Try angling the charlynn unit towards the steering wheel to reduce the angle on the u-joints. This will put a slight angle on the u-joint connecting to the rack, but reduce your angle towards the steering wheel. Even 15* would be helpful, and this should solve your problem.

DOG ON

RDC's illegal immigrant
Reaction
Awesome..... I will try that this week. Thanks for the response, pos rep sent....

5racer

Reaction
make sure the joints are clocked and air is out of system

Kbach66

Reaction
A couple of things to look at. First, I would check to make sure they're clocked right, since they're running at or near max angle. Also, look at them closely and see if there's anywhere that they're hitting. My setup is pretty tight and has some steep angles. I use Sweet u-joints, and have to clearance the edges of the "ears" ever so slightly to they don't bind. I had the same problem that you did where you could feel the shaft binding in different spots while turning the wheel and this made it go away.

Might be worth a check.

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
What about mounting your charlynn directly to the rack?? That would ease the angles on the u-joints.
There is an adapter made just for that.

Try angling the charlynn unit towards the steering wheel to reduce the angle on the u-joints.
This will create problems as there isn't a second U-joint to cancel the speed variations from the first.

I would say that if they are clocked right and not binding, you shouldn't have any problems with the way it is now.

DOG ON

RDC's illegal immigrant
Reaction
There is an adapter made just for that.

This will create problems as there isn't a second U-joint to cancel the speed variations from the first.

I would say that if they are clocked right and not binding, you shouldn't have any problems with the way it is now.

Guys what do you mean by "clocking" a joint? (sorry, my English is failing here:( )

Is that like smoothing the joint where it may present mechanical interference?

TauMau

Reaction
Gustavo what ever happened to the Saco rack I sold you??

DOG ON

RDC's illegal immigrant
Reaction
I still have it, I am reviving an old class 10 that I will put a Subaru EJ25 engine on it. We have a racing class here called 1-10, it is limited to 4 cylinders only......Guess what? I am putting a subie on it :)

The VW baja is only my prerunner, today I spent part of the day testing it, THANK YOU ALL FOR THE INPUT, PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

Still I dont know what is clocking a ujoint...can someone explain?

Thanks

01_el_tiburon

Bait Fish
Reaction
I still have it, I am reviving an old class 10 that I will put a Subaru EJ25 engine on it. We have a racing class here called 1-10, it is limited to 4 cylinders only......Guess what? I am putting a subie on it :)

The VW baja is only my prerunner, today I spent part of the day testing it, THANK YOU ALL FOR THE INPUT, PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

Thanks
i think the valve should be in direct line with the steering shaft. In my 2 bugs, instead of battling the little space up front, we mounted the valve right on the steering wheel after i saw it on a 1600 car.

el tiburon

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
When a u-joint runs at an angle the output speeds up and slows down. The second joint must be mounted at the same angle and orientation to cancel this out. Same as a drive shaft. See the blue line in the pic? thats how they should line up or be "clocked".

TauMau

Reaction
Thanks for that info PBP. I'm doing my steering right now and would have completely disregarded this rule had I not seen that.

DOG ON

RDC's illegal immigrant
Reaction
When a u-joint runs at an angle the output speeds up and slows down. The second joint must be mounted at the same angle and orientation to cancel this out. Same as a drive shaft. See the blue line in the pic? thats how they should line up or be "clocked".

Thanks! Great info, although the main issue has dissapear, I think I can even make it smoother clocking them....thanks again