Chase rack howling

idealer

Reaction
I just installed a chase rack on my truck I bought it off rdc and it howls like crazy... It was sitting a little high over the cab so I lowered it so it only a couple inches off the roof and now its even worse... It has that like diamond shaped mesh for the floor that I think is causing it. Does your rack howl? I am thinking of changing the mesh out or installing the lights in the front to deflect some wind. Any ideas.

43mod

Reaction
I have seen guys put pvc pipe over square tube to lessen noise on lumber racks(just the front bar). my round tube rack with expanded metal makes very little noise. Just a thought

michael_loomis

Reaction
I usually chase lots of racks howling...

michael_loomis

Reaction
Thats why your "Chasing them"
Touche.. haha

As for the actual rack.. maybe experiment with some kind of wind deflector on the front? Zip tie a towel onto the area you think it is coming from, drive, repeat if necessary. Probably something super simple like a mounting eyelet or catching the windshield flow just the right way. I also have been in a couple chase trucks with expanded metal racks, both loaded and unloaded and heard no wind noise.

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
Yep...the expanded metal on my rack "howls"...not too loud and definitely not when it's loaded...just empty. Welcome to the chase race hum-club!

Sheaco

Reaction
Was there a Full Moon? Most of the Time my rack would only Bark & wag It's tail when I would roll out the Projects! lol.

DBMETALWORX

Reaction
My truck has a round tube ladder rack that howls. No expanded metal @ all.. Square tube is even worse.

racer_dude

Back2Back TL Champ!
Reaction
Is it square or round tubing? We had a lumber rack that made crazy noise because of square tubing. Just wondering

Our chase racks are nice an quiet with expanded metal floors up top, loaded or empty

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
Touche.. haha

As for the actual rack.. maybe experiment with some kind of wind deflector on the front? Zip tie a towel onto the area you think it is coming from, drive, repeat if necessary. Probably something super simple like a mounting eyelet or catching the windshield flow just the right way. I also have been in a couple chase trucks with expanded metal racks, both loaded and unloaded and heard no wind noise.
yea its gotta be something like that... a friends rack on his suburban howled but he added a bug deflector to the front of the hood and it magically stopped... ironically he only installed the bug deflector because somebody gave it to him and it fixed his howling situation accidentally...

michael_loomis

Reaction
After market head unit... problem solved.