Chase radio question

jgarnold

I just bought a icom F121 for my 2008 F-150. Does anyone have any ideas where to install and or mount and have it look factory?

Shred918

I am sure any radio shop will do it. I just throw mine on the floor hooked up to a cigarette lighter and a mag mount. I may eventually do a permanent installation but it works for now.

Sheaco

Contact Scott @ PCI, I heard he may know a thing or two about Radios:D

If you do mount it by yourself, don't use the Cig Lighter. take the time to run Wires to the Battery with a fuse. Even if it's going to be a radio your going to take in and out as needed.

Shannon

Bear on a Unicycle
I just bought a icom F121 for my 2008 F-150. Does anyone have any ideas where to install and or mount and have it look factory?
Any good radio store will do it,but if I was you I'd just run from + and - side of battery into the cab by the glove box,the kit should have a quick disconnect so when your not using it you can disconnect and roll up the extra cord and put into glove box,therfore you dont need to drill any extra holes in your truck,and you dont have to worry about it getting it stolen....

Unless your truck is a pure chase truck you really dont want that sh@# in your truck all the time anyway.....:)

Waldo

Safehouse
I am sure any radio shop will do it. I just throw mine on the floor hooked up to a cigarette lighter and a mag mount. I may eventually do a permanent installation but it works for now.
Why do you just "throw" it on the floor? Do you switch the radio between vehicles? A radio mounted securely & directly wired to your battery would be an ideal setup. Better performance, and not bangin' around your vehicle while chasing. Just my opinion.

You can add a quick disconnect for the power/ground wires if you want to change out the radio to a different vehicle (just tote the mag antenna along w/you).

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
AND JUST WHERE DO YOU MOUNT THE MIC we don't need any more richard cranium's

Sheaco

In your lap or on the seat works best!:eek: the WM loves that

troyharper

DA Meatball
this will slip under your center console.

Attachments

Shannon

Bear on a Unicycle
Your mic should be unhooked for the most part !!!!!. If not put it somewhere it won't stick on!!!

Giant Geoff

I like it mounted so I can see the face when driving. Most radios come with a mount so some good places are; the bottom center of the dash, the front side of the center consul or the passenger side of the transmission hump on the flood. If these don’t work for you just put the mount on the radio and place it in random spots until you find some thing you like.

JGunn

Lone Gunnman
One important issue with 2-way radios is with a Brake Control Module interaction. The Trailer Brake control needs to be more that 1 foot away or risk a fire in the Brake Control.

This happened to me and when installing a new one the small print said, "2 way radios can cause the Gyros to fail".

Keep 2 feet away to be safe!:eek:

JPBart

I ran across a dash mount for 2 way radios in police trucks. It swapped out the lower center panel and dropped a little lower to the floor for a nice 'factory' look. Try googling 2 way radio mounts or police car 2 way radio mount and search away. it might take a while but you will know it when you see it.

Weatherman

The voice of desert racing
For a custom Installation, don't over look the possibilities; The roof between the visors, the back side or front side of the console, inside the console, under the dash, in place of the ash tray or drink holder, under the arm rest or lastly on the floor. You should have the opportunity to see the custom installations in the P C I Rhinos, (Scott's and Weathermans), or Scott or Bob's pre runners, or better yet, Bob's Curry Jeep Wrangler Rock Crawler.

Our new store in Orange Ca. does installations, (The Solder Joint) and yes, the direct to the battery is best.

And yes the Weatherman doesn't like stupidity. The mike has to have a mike hangar.