• Forum membership has its advantages....

Chase Truck Suspension -- Washboards

Mike321

I’m pretty happy with my chase truck with one exception – traveling through washboards. When we made our way out to Coco’s during NORRA, it was brutal as ever (albeit much shorter than the last time I was there – sadly) and it was a reminder I want to fix this problem.

Has anyone found suspension improvements for washboard conditions for a 10,000 lbs+ vehicle without airing down? I have a stock leaf spring suspension on all four corners with Fox shocks.

I was envisioning some form of bump-shock type configuration might help?

Thanks,
Mike

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
Apply liberal amounts of throttle getting it up on plane depending on weight, wheelbase, tires it usually occurs around 80mph before things smooth out or your teeth Rattle out I forget. :rolleyes:

Mike321

Apply liberal amounts of throttle getting it up on plane depending on weight, wheelbase, tires it usually occurs around 80mph before things smooth out or your teeth Rattle out I forget. :rolleyes:
I know faster is "better" in washboards. But on a race day, that isn't always an option. I feel the front of the truck more than the back. I was thinking maybe going to a dual front shock tower type setup in the front and looking at incorporating a coil over into a second mounting position which would help deal with the rattle?

Edit: Would dual front shocks make a difference in this situation?

Last edited:

swiftracing5

Dual shocks might make it worse if you don't retune both of them. What fox shocks do you have on there? Series or part number?

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
My personal favorite is from the highway? East to El Arco that one will take the fillings out of your skull.

Dirty Harry

I put a set of Old Man Emu leaf springs on a Super Duty and they definitely helped the ride quality over rough roads.

Mike321

I put a set of Old Man Emu leaf springs on a Super Duty and they definitely helped the ride quality over rough roads.
I looked at their site and they only list Everest and Ranger options for Ford. Were these custom made for your install?

Dirty Harry

Mike321

What size are your tires?
My truck only weighs 8000lbs but with 37" tires I don't notice wash board roads
I'm running 33" -- I need an E or higher rated tire. I have a 1,200 mile round trip from just home to Ensenada. I'd prefer not to go higher, but I'm open to looking at the option.

nimrod

KOOK!
Tires are the first stage of suspension. I'm fairly certain to find what you're looking for airing down is what's needed. Would a set of those preset deflators work and help save some time? Put them on each wheel and drive and they air down to a preset pressure and then stop. My brother had them for his f-250.

Smittybilt Tire Deflators (Brass) - 2723

Chris Tobin

I'm running 33" -- I need an E or higher rated tire. I have a 1,200 mile round trip from just home to Ensenada. I'd prefer not to go higher, but I'm open to looking at the option.
Several tire manufacturers are now offering E and F rated tires in larger sizes now... Notably Nitto and Toyo and I think Mickey Thompson. I am not sure about BFG or Goodyear, but look into it...