• Forum membership has its advantages....

On Topic Chasing V2R

Jack

The only one I would be consernd about would be ?Bonnie? The rest stop just North of Tonapha. It can be very silty late in the day and be a challenge if the road in and out is busy, you are driving into the cloud you can not see and must drive slow enough to get stuck.

MatttheHatt

The only one I would be consernd about would be ?Bonnie? The rest stop just North of Tonapha. It can be very silty late in the day and be a challenge if the road in and out is busy, you are driving into the cloud you can not see and must drive slow enough to get stuck.
I'll be on a bike so hopefully they'll be in and out before it gets bad.

cynicwanderer

should be no problem. we have a E350 van and others have used Sprinters in the past. just stay on the dirt roads in and out of the pits and you should be OK. I.e. don't be tempted to "go around" or make short cuts. no chase vehicles are allowed on the actual course, recovery is handled by BITD volunteers

AngryShawn

The pit you mentioned is Millers.
Bonnie Claire is pit 3.

bajaboy7

For some reason I always have to drop into 4WD for a second at Redlich. Its a small crowded Pit area with little room to move and some soft spots.

cynicwanderer

For some reason I always have to drop into 4WD for a second at Redlich. Its a small crowded Pit area with little room to move and some soft spots.
lol... well I honestly don't know what my chase crew encounters and how they do it with the van, since I'm on the bike/course... however they do it, they end up making it with 2WD and I haven't heard any "stories". well, ok, there was the story about how the key got stuck in the ignition that one time...

johndjmix

Theres always other teams to help pull you out. If you got stuck I cant imagine having to wait more than 5 minutes before someone came to help you. What better place to get stuck, then with hundreds of teams with tons of equipment and chase trucks!

ndvalium

Rescue Director
The pit you mentioned is Millers.
Bonnie Claire is pit 3.
CottonTail is "pit 3" however past Pit 4 this year there are some changes and the numbering will be off from previous years. Bonnie Clair is typically 8 but will be 7 this year.

Yes Millers can get silty regardless of what side of the road it is on -

yamaducci

I would carry a tow strap regardless. Like everyone said there is one maybe two pits that can be soft later in the day. If there is any rain in August you will probably be fine. If you see other 2WD's parked on the road it's a sign to not go in.