Chassis tag

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Reaction
I found this chassis tag on a vintage buggy and want to know more about it and how to research it. Ideas and/or opinions?
20170407_145039_004.jpg

Chris_Wilson

Reaction
That's a special construction tag. Assigned by CHP.

Chris_Wilson

Reaction
I doubt it. CHP is going to have records but getting them to share is unlikely.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
That is the assigned VIN tag put on by CHP. Ca. DMV should have a record of it if it was registered in the last few years. Did the car include the green sticker 'plate? Pic of the chassis and maybe we can help too.

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Reaction
Thanks for the info. The car has been out of state for a while, so I doubt it has a current CA ORV registration. Hoping to work some angles to see if someone can run the numbers on this plate to find out something about it. Any help would be appreciated. Detective work!

Offspring

Reaction
In the system or not that plate will save you time/effort going forward.

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Reaction
In the system or not that plate will save you time/effort going forward.
Thanks, and I agree. I am just trying to see if it might help me determine the history of the car. Any police officers here on the vintage page, or insurance brokers, DMV workers, auto dealers...etc?

mikerd400

Reaction
The CHP just issues the tag for VINs. In this case it was for a special construction vehicle. There will be no year. The DMV then will issue a registration, either plated or OHV. There won't be real information on the vehicle, and if it has been out of the system for quite awhile, there will be no records for who it was last registered too.

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Reaction
The CHP just issues the tag for VINs. In this case it was for a special construction vehicle. There will be no year. The DMV then will issue a registration, either plated or OHV. There won't be real information on the vehicle, and if it has been out of the system for quite awhile, there will be no records for who it was last registered too.
Yup...that is exactly what I found out through a friend who has DMV and police contacts. They only keep records for 10 years.