• Forum membership has its advantages....

Chassis Tags

yamaducci

I am hoping to get the overview of the tagging process and who requires them. I generally know but what's exactly involved?
Lets say I buy a used car that has no tags but is supposed to be a Class 1600 or 12 car and I want to race SCORE, SNORE, MORE or BITD.
I have heard if you want to race SCORE it has to be SCORE Tech'ed in San Diego and takes a couple hours. What's involved there and what's it cost? What if you don't live anywhere near there what are the options?
I have raced BITD with a friends car and we just did day-of Contingency safety inspection since it had a SCORE Tag. I heard just yesterday that BITD doesn't even have a chassis certifying Tag program.
Is that true and what's involved in racing the others? Can I just show up in what I believe will pass the rule book? Or use a previously raced car? Should I give a [email protected] about tags? Or buy something pre-tagged? Since I live on the east coast I won't be making any extra trips out west just for inspections so I need the facts.
Thank you!

Zac Reish

Just show up. Only score requires a stupid tag. And I guarantee if you show up with $3,600 and a solid car that’s safe w/o tag they’re still going to take your money and let you race.

I wouldn’t sweat it

MTPyle

SCORE chassis tech guys travel. We had ours done in Havasu. I forget what they charged but it was around $400.

BITD does not “tag” chassis and just inspects at tech.

To be honest I think it’s a waste. When we had ours SCORE inspected our seat belts attachments were a mess and they didn’t say anything. They are mostly looking at tube thickness and cage design, oh and to collect the fee.

Amazing what will get thru tech. The problem is if you tech the day before the race there is no time to make any changes. It would be nice if they made suggestions at a race so you could make changes for the next. But they would be admitting things are not right and letting you race which would be a liability.

I bet there are lots of vehicles that go thru tech with some serious safety issues.

Mike

Fourstroker

BITD does not “tag” chassis and just inspects at tech.
Mike
Or they don't. Raced a few BITD races over the years. Never had them even remotely look at my chassis/cage let alone much of anything on the car. They seemed most concerned that the tracker was on our car and working. My experience of course.

swiftracing5

If you are buying a used car it might be nice to get SCORE to tag it so they can let you know the integrity of the cage materials, just for your knowledge. A new tag every year is ridiculous, but that's the rule. SCORE posts on their site or social media when they do remote tag sessions ie Vegas area, phoenix area(?). Otherwise you can pay the 300-500 personal tag fee and he will drive to you in CA. If you are going to race score then look into that, make the commute but give yourself plenty of time before the race to either fix the cage or skip the race. Keep in mind it is ONLY a cage inspection, they will not give you pass/fail on safety, fuel, lights, things like that. That stuff is done at the race no matter where you go.

I used to think the SCORE tag trumped all at tech for other orgs, but they always find things to "suggest" before the next race.

ndvalium

Rescue Director
Or they don't. Raced a few BITD races over the years. Never had them even remotely look at my chassis/cage let alone much of anything on the car. They seemed most concerned that the tracker was on our car and working. My experience of course.
BITD tech has zero to do with the trackers and could care less if it is even installed. In some cases, like Silver State, the trackers arent even picked up until after the Tech Trailer. Having watched Putnam and his team for the last decade, I know they look at many aspects of a car every time it comes through. They have a list that every car goes through. If in a Spec class they have additional measures to review as well. If you car has passed tech previously or is done from a well known builder it will likely get a faster nod than a first timer.

That being said, most of the race organizations out there rarely turn away a vehicle unless it is something completely blatant. There have been a few at BITD that have bee refused over the years or required for corrections before passed. I would expect to see that more and more going forward. There are several items such as window nets, extinguishers, belts, that will get more and more focus.

Often, if you have something questionable, you can also take pictures and send them to Daryl ahead of time if you are concerned with a BITD race..

yamaducci

Thank you everyone for your input. This has cleared up what to expect from most organizations. What about SNORE and MORE. Should I assume arrive and drive with basic safety inspection per the book like BITD? I talked to Bill Shapley and he said SNORE tagged for a couple years, maybe 5 years ago, but it didn't last.
Also, I hear some Lothringers are thin walled. Not sure that's true... Would a previously SCORE tagged Chassis have a problem running back at SCORE?

Last edited:

Zac Reish

They have a grand father clause that means even though it doesn’t meet current standards they’ll still let you race if you pay annual tag fee and entry.

There’s probably a lot of thin wall chassis out there by Probably most builders. Id imagine in many cases it had more to do with what the client wanted in the chassis than what the builder wanted.

yamaducci

Good point. Some clients may have wanted to forego safety over light weight. So not all chassis of a brand would be "Thin Wall" like I was told. I guess if it had never been SCORE tagged then it would have to meet todays standards unless there was a born on date stamped on it somewhere.

ACME

The grandfather clause only applied if the vehicle was inspected prior to the cut off date and was on the books as inspected. In certain cases a tag was placed on the chassis with notes indicating what needed to be done and others got no tag but the notes were in the system, we had both done to our cars. Lot's of strange in the tagging process from day 1 through Art RIP (Jake seemed to have a solid handle on it). We got a letter about a year ago from SCORE that they found our last check for an inspection from 4 years ago, uncashed in a box of misc files but no notes on the inspection that was done at our house. They demanded we reissue the check for a car we sold that they don't show as inspected o_O. We loved Art and he did a good job, but paperwork seemed to lag. So if you are looking at a used car, double check the tag with SCORE to make sure.

As for Lothringers being light, they are/were which is why they have a lot of wins and Kent is a master of building fast cars (ask Geer, Boyer, Caspino, Davis sr, Malloy, Neal, Harman, Zeigler, Taranto, Maxwell etc...). But the cages on everyone we owned were safe and conformed to the rules and I never heard of one that did not.

tapeworm

The “thin wall” Lothringer chassis were built to be competitive, not survive falling off a cliff. They were built with the intentions of having a competitive driver behind the wheel trying to win races. With that said, many Lothringer’s have been cartwheeled, endo’d, and wrecked and the occupants have walked away. A Lothringer is a well built chassis that has been proven to win many, many races.

BITD tech has zero to do with the trackers and could care less if it is even installed. In some cases, like Silver State, the trackers arent even picked up until after the Tech Trailer. Having watched Putnam and his team for the last decade, I know they look at many aspects of a car every time it comes through. They have a list that every car goes through. If in a Spec class they have additional measures to review as well. If you car has passed tech previously or is done from a well known builder it will likely get a faster nod than a first timer.

That being said, most of the race organizations out there rarely turn away a vehicle unless it is something completely blatant. There have been a few at BITD that have bee refused over the years or required for corrections before passed. I would expect to see that more and more going forward. There are several items such as window nets, extinguishers, belts, that will get more and more focus.

Often, if you have something questionable, you can also take pictures and send them to Daryl ahead of time if you are concerned with a BITD race..
Dave, i totally respect what you do but my experience with BITD was completely the opposite. We had a totally legit 12(1100) car so I wasn't worried. In all of the races I did my roll cage was never inspected, much less looked at. Tech at those races consisted of checking amber light, horn, brake lights, showing our first aid and fire extinguishers plus suits and helmets. One of the races they looked at our seat belt tags. That was it and I was at tech for all of them. Again I had nothing to hide so I wasn't worried about it. Please note the last time I raced with BITD in a car was 2014.

As for the tracker, I was referring to the RFID scoring tracker they used to use not Racing Trax.