Cheap 4 person intercom system?

TeenyCar

RDC Crypto
We'd like to do an intercom system in the desert/sand car and are wondering if anyone knows of a cheap intercom system for 4 people? We've found them for 2 people that wire into whatever helmet but nothing for 4 people that isn't big bucks.

wrightracing.net

RDC Crypto
Website
www.wrightracing.net
We'd like to do an intercom system in the desert/sand car and are wondering if anyone knows of a cheap intercom system for 4 people? We've found them for 2 people that wire into whatever helmet but nothing for 4 people that isn't big bucks.

Watch ebay for a aircraft intercom. I found a 8person intercom for our class 3 but the most I will use is 2 for racing. I only paid $40 for the box-controller and I got the wire harness for $25.

Not bad for $65.00

The unit I got is a Sigtronics but you can look for Flightcom or avcom

TeenyCar

RDC Crypto
How did you wire the helmet with the aircraft headgear? Or does someone make a helmet unit wiring system that will plug into the controller?

wrightracing.net

RDC Crypto
Website
www.wrightracing.net
How did you wire the helmet with the aircraft headgear? Or does someone make a helmet unit wiring system that will plug into the controller?

My helmets are wired like the OEM Sigtronics plug and Jacks, so I can use any Sigtronics headset without rewiring. The thing with alot of Offroad intercom setups are that they are wired to the Venders specs. PCI has thier own wiring setup and is different than others. There are many different styles of plugs, Nascar IMCA and others so you get to choose what you want if you wire it yourself.

TeenyCar

RDC Crypto
In looking at aircraft intercoms it looks like they have a plug for mic and one for headphone. Are your headseats for the helmets running a wire for the mic and one for the headphone? Where did you get the wiring setup? Also do the aircraft intercoms connnect to a ground radio or are you limited to aircraft radio. That could pose some problems.

wrightracing.net

RDC Crypto
Website
www.wrightracing.net
In looking at aircraft intercoms it looks like they have a plug for mic and one for headphone. Are your headseats for the helmets running a wire for the mic and one for the headphone? Where did you get the wiring setup? Also do the aircraft intercoms connnect to a ground radio or are you limited to aircraft radio. That could pose some problems.

On my intercom, it is a two connector setup. The aircraft radios are the same depending on what radio you have. I am running a Kenwood Race radio with a aux connector on the back. Some Radio's use plug into the mic jack. I hope that helps.

TeenyCar

RDC Crypto
So you are using the sigtronics headsets? My buddy tore apart one of his old aircraft headsets and said it was too large to fit inside a helmet. Got a part number?

wrightracing.net

RDC Crypto
Website
www.wrightracing.net
So you are using the sigtronics headsets? My buddy tore apart one of his old aircraft headsets and said it was too large to fit inside a helmet. Got a part number?

No I am using a mic/headset from another company but I am setting it up like Sigtrinics. I have not used it in a race yet but we will see.

I am going to cut the Motorola plug off and wire it for my setup.
Here is a link to the mic and headphones I am using.
http://www.kawamall.com/pd_1x_mebmiftel_full.cfm

WOOPRDR

RDC Crypto
I have a 4 place flightcom 403mc intercom with aircraft headsets and all cords wired with the same plug ends to match race wired helmets for sale - cheap

Last edited:

TeenyCar

RDC Crypto
So I'm looking at the portable 4 place from aircraft spruce.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/acs_skycom.php

Now I just need to come up with some male plugs and wires for a motorcycle helmet type speaker/mic setup. It would be nice if they had an adapter to go from the separate mic/headphone setup to a single plug in like all the helmet systems have. I would think that an ear plug rather than a speaker type would be a little better for hearing and noise reduction? Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

TeenyCar

RDC Crypto
In doing a little more searching I see that they make an adapter that will go from standard aviation two plug style intercom to a single (mono plug) helicopter standard headset plug. However it is about $43 for each individual adapter and I would doubt that a helicopter plug is the same as what I would get for a helmet set up so that means more plug adapters. I have been trying to find a helicopter intercom but can't seem to locate them anywhere. I thought about taking an aircraft headset apart, but my buddy tried this and the speakers were too large to fit into the helmet.

WannaB-class5

RDC Crypto
Tell you what, cables and adapters and what not cost more than the intercom and radio! As for the helmet, I like the speaker kind but everyone else I have heard from like the earbud style.

TeenyCar

RDC Crypto
Well I don't know that I went cheap but I got a great deal on a Vertex 3200 and the AR 500 intercom with a few helmet sets and all the connecting hardware along with a nice antenna. So at least we'll be able to communicate when the car breaks down! jajaja

wrightracing.net

RDC Crypto
Website
www.wrightracing.net
No I am using a mic/headset from another company but I am setting it up like Sigtrinics. I have not used it in a race yet but we will see.

I am going to cut the Motorola plug off and wire it for my setup.
Here is a link to the mic and headphones I am using.
1X MEBMIFTEL Full Helmet Headset Mic for Motorola GP300 HT1250 XTN series
Long-term update: these worked ok, but they distorted a bit. I ended up rewiring my dirt bike helmet and my truck racing helmet with PCI and helmet kits they worked much better and I still have them in my helmets today, best way to go. I do have a Rugged in helmet kit on my mom's dirt bike helmet and it works really well also.

And that old sigtronics aircraft intercom I picked up off eBay years ago still works just fine, especially for a cheap intercom system. All my connectors are now mil-spec or the same we use in standard racing.

My headsets are David Clark headsets for helicopters with that same off-road plug we use in race trucks, but I had to rewire the plug itself on the headset to be the same as the off-road intercom. Also I changed out the microphone on the helicopter headset with one from PCI that they recommended on their headsets. Now the headsets work great hooked up to the intercom or directly to a handheld race radio. It takes a little work to save some money but sometimes it's just fun figuring things out if you like electronics.

That is my long-term report.