cheap helmet?

DG_BTI

Reaction
I don't know for sure, but this helmet went through some serious trama or did it? My friends were in an accident this weekend down in Borrego Springs. They were broadsided while going through an intersection in bfe. Driving a F150 Supercrew, they were hit on the driverside rear door flipping them twice. The impact ripped the trailer from the truck and sent both quads flying, some hefty damage to both. The truck is beyond done. They ended up upside down, climed out with some minor cuts and bruises. Very lucky to be here after seeing all the damage. But here is the question, both helmets were in the bed of the truck and ejected on impact. Looking at them in person is unreal, they are wasted. Would a Bell or Shoei had had the same result? Don't know for sure but should make us all think next time we buy a helmet for ourselves or werse, our kids.

Attachments

sirhk100

Reaction
[I am an idiot, I don't know how to express myself without cursing] Did something land on them? I've seen the mouth piece bust off them a couple times and unfortunately I've seen one other helmet like that. Those HJC aren't exactly the "name brand" but I'm assuming they are at least Snell approved. That looks like something crushed them in the wreck, like the truck? The helmet I saw end up like htat was due to the case of the bike landing directly on the helmet. Killed the guy and caused them to remove the best jump at the track...

sweetdevil

Reaction
When I was buying a new helmet for my bike, I was told to tay away from Plastic helmets, and go for carbon fiber/kevlon mixture. If you drop carbon fiber and plastic on the pavement, which one will bounce and which one will absorb the most impact?

sirhk100

Reaction
Don't you just buy the one that looks cool?

BTW, did you ever find that helmet that we lost on the night excursion in your truck last season?

motoxscott

Reaction
Over the past couple of years you've seen a lot more helmet companies pop up. Also companies are importing some of the euro stuff into the states. You get what you pay for. I have always bought the top of the line Shoei helmets and have hit my head pretty hard both in dirt and street in serious accidents and have never had any serious head injuries.

This also applies to boots, gloves and all the other gear you should be wearing. Wearing good gear has paid off for me, that's for sure.

-Scott

martininsocal

Reaction
I think Khris is right, I have seen plenty of helmets after the fact (kinda cool part of the job) and that helmet looks like it was crushed, not cracked. You have to understand what helmets are designed for, and that is not to have a lot of weight placed on them, but to cushion blows to the head. The head is basically a helmet with padding in it, but it is not enough to prevent serious damage to the brain without some help, so we add to the cushioning ability by putting on a helmet which works like a shock absorber. When used properly, the helmet will prevent intrusion while the body is in movement and will soften concussion like blows to the head.
They are not designed for heavy objects landing on them, as Khris pointed out, even a bike falling 4 feet will produce more than 16,000 pounds of force on impact, so you don't want to be under it.
On another note, helmets are considered a first aid device and only to be used once. What that means is when you have a hard blow to the helmet, you should replace it. You cannot see what kind of internal damage has occurred and you may not want to be in the thing on the next impact. Any helemt that shows signs of pitting, cracking, stress fractures, etc...should be tossed and your head should be put in a new brain bucket. I know, kinda expensive, but how much is you life worth?

Hey Rhi- dropping a helmet from 4 feet is a heavy enough blow to throw it away, so don't test yours before you use it!

Martin

sirhk100

Reaction
Yeah, I've heard and read MANY places that Helmets are supposed to be a one use item. Once that styrofoam or whatever compresses, it's function is gone...

Sites

Reaction
Regarding the "one time impact" issue. From what I understand, that is what differentiates an auto helmet and a motorcycle helmet - the motorcycle helmet is good for one severe impact, whereas the auto helmets were design for multiple impacts. This may be due to the nature of most motorcycle (the rider smacking his head on the ground, then slides) and auto (the driver's head impacting the interior of the vehicle multiple times in the event of a roll over) accidents. When I raced in touring car, we were absolutely not allowed to use a motor cycle helmet because of this.

matt_helton

Racer
Reaction
ahhhhh, helmet schmelmet. its just your gord. cant you live without one of those................

Mark_Weyhrich

Reaction
We are not allowed to use road racing helmets in SCCA, IMSA or any other form of pavement racing. The reason for this is because the lining of a "motorcycle" helmet is a nylon composite, not the mandatory nomex material. This results in a substantial cost difference between "pavement helmets" and "dirt helmets" like we use in SCORE.

If you are in an accident in and SCCA event, the course marshalls have the authority to confiscate your helmet and have it sent to the manufacturer for inspection. A sure way to have it confiscated is to throw it. This will always result in you losing your gear.

When I balled my car up at Terrible's Town in 2001, my Shoei helmet ended up with several cracks in the outer shell. Even if this had not occurred, I would have sent it back to the manufacturer for inspection. It just makes good sense.

martininsocal

Reaction
For the one time impact- I guess I should say Event instead of impact. Even a Car helemet is suppose to be thrown away after the crash, whether your head contacts the rollbar 1 time or 10 times. The issue of the nomex liner is not because of rollover protection, but fire protection. Much of the helmets interior shock absorbing material is flammable as well as a substance that will melt and stick to you if heated to the point of ignition. The shock absorbing foam may allow your head to survive only to have you perish when you take one breath of superheated gases from the burning material(yes, only 1 breath will cook your airway passages, thats all it takes) so the requirement for a flame resistant material that self extinguishes when removed from heat is important.

bajakirby23

Reaction
inside bell and shoei helmets there is a disclaimer saying after savier impact discard helmet. and that helmet was crushed or went so high up when it came down it hit hard. also if your head is not in the helmet and the helmet impacts something with enough force it will brack esaier than if your head was in it. HJC is a good helmet for what it cost many of my friends have had them and crashed on there head and survived but they are nothing like top quality helmets bell/shoei/arie