Check This Out

jim_moulton

Reaction
Not race related but I thought this might open some eyes . I took my shop truck into Parkway G.M.C in valencia ca toget an oil leak fixed. Got a call friday eve said my truck was done but it fell off the lift.This is what I got back. Dealer says its just sheet metal damage. The body shop says frame is bent and the truck might be a total loss. Do you think the dealer should give me a new truck or what?

Attachments

jim_moulton

Reaction
another pic

Attachments

jim_moulton

Reaction
and another

Attachments

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
Hey Jim, did you drop it or did they?????

Hell yes they are responsible to fix or replace your truck.

This is why I don't let other people work on my ride ! Good luck, I hope everything works out for you Jim.

Tony
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.y-not-productions.com>www.y-not-productions.com</A>

tkr

Reaction
Well its up to them and/or their insurance company whether they fix it or replace it. But one way or another they should obviously take care of it.

Matt Nelson
Team Kwik Racing

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
After seeing that last pic. I would say it is only body damage. It appears to me they were using a 2 post type of lift that has 4 arms that reach in to hold up the car/truck. It looks to me that the truck fell striaght down. I sure hope they either train or fire the tech who did this before some one gets killed..

Looks like it is time for fiberglass Jim!!!! You know you wanted a prerunner...

Tony
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.y-not-productions.com>www.y-not-productions.com</A>

jim_moulton

Reaction
The frame is bent. I tried to post a pic from the rear but its too large. When I first saw the truck it was hanging from the front fenders,back of truck was on the ground. The back of the truck hit so hard it chipped the concrete floor.

tkr

Reaction
Where did the frame bend?? Just doesn't make sense that a fall like that would bend the frame. Damn shame if it did...hope they have good insurance.

Matt Nelson
Team Kwik Racing

DPpatrol

Reaction
Wow. Sorry about your truck, hopefully everything gets resolved. From a mechanics point of view though, that is extremely eye opening. I work with lifts almost daily, and seeing stuff like this sure makes one want to be a lot more catious in the shop.

jason

jim_moulton

Reaction
Matt- The frame bent from the rear bumper hitting the ground with the front of the truck about 5 feet in the air. The angle was so steep that the suspension did'nt even hit the ground. Im sure if the truck landed on the suspension there would be no frame damage. It just sucks that I brought a perfectly good truck with an oil leak to the dealer and got back a perfect P.O.S.

Wayne- It does still leak oil, Its only been back 3 times.

tkr

Reaction
A few years back, we had an F250 6' up when a lift pad extension broke. The truck fell backward and sideways, bending the bumper, the bumper brackets, and the running board when it hit the brake lathe the tech was standing at not 10 seconds before. Anyway, the bumper and brackets gave instead of the frame, like they're supposed to. I guess your's hit at just the wrong angle to transfer the force to the frame. Sorry to hear that. Hope they take care of it for you.

Matt Nelson
Team Kwik Racing

Gabe Lara

Reaction
Jim,

Depending on their insurance, if they total it out for you, they'll pay you what the truck is worth, and probably not a penny more. As far as a replacement, hmmmmmm, thats a tough one, and I doubt it.

What you'll ned to do is take it to an attorney or the Better Business Bureau if any settlement is not to your liking.

I'm sure they (the dealer) have dealt with this type of issue in the past. Be sure and keep all of your receipts for your rental car/truck, especially if you use your truck for work, and due to the damage done, it is keeping you from making a living.

The best thing is to talk to an attorney first.

-Gabe

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Rape em...they're a dealer

Kris

"A signature always reveals a man's character -- and sometimes even his name. "

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Tell them you will settle for a brand new car or truck of your choice or your going to court.

Go Big Or Go Home

Dave_G

Reaction
Jim,
Trust me on this one.....DO NOT DEAL WITH THE DEALERSHIP OR THEIR INSURANCE COMPANY! Go to YOUR insurance company and file a damage claim. That way you can get your vehicle taken care of and your insurance company will have to deal with the hassle between the dealership and their insurance company. That's what you pay them for. Then you can take it to a shop of your choice and have the frame damage assesed. If you truck has frame damage you might get a new vehicle as that is a serious blow to the trucks resale value.

"I know it all, but I can't remember most of it..."

Tyson

Reaction
Though a friend of mine had a brand new Tacoma (a few years ago) and took the truck in to get the oil changed. Well as he was driving the 10 miles back to his house his engine blew - they didnt put any oil back in it. . .so he had it towed back to the dealership, and the ended up giving him a brand new Tundra for the price of the payments that he was making on his standard cab Tacoma - not bad huh. I guess that particular dealership didnt want to go through a lengthy court process and took quite a big loss on the deal obviously. Good luck in whatever you decide to do, but I would reccommened going to your insurance and filing a damage report like Dave said. You think you pay alot for insurance, you should see some of the high dollar shady attorneys that these big dealerships use.