check this video

bomber

Reaction
hey I have been to glamis and seen plenty of gringos act the same way . it is always the same when you have a big crowd with nothing to do and no sence of athority.

Haha, not even close. I've been going to Gordons and Glamis for six years. I also have probably ten or more DVD's that contain some footage of Glamis or show nothing but highlights from all the big weekends at Glamis. There has been nothing of the magnitude of people altering the terrain with the intent of causing bad crashes just so someone nearby can grab some of the broken pieces. Not even close.

This is looks like a booby trap, but either way the mob around the vehicle is just plain crazy. I would have driven a mile or two to get away also as was already stated. I guess that's just one of the cons of racing in Mexico.

GlamisGurlie

goddess like
Reaction
Website
www.bitd.com
Haha, not even close. I've been going to Gordons and Glamis for six years. I also have probably ten or more DVD's that contain some footage of Glamis or show nothing but highlights from all the big weekends at Glamis. There has been nothing of the magnitude of people altering the terrain with the intent of causing bad crashes just so someone nearby can grab some of the broken pieces. Not even close.

You just started going at the tail end of the mayhem there... I've been going to Glamis for 20 years now and i've seen the booby-traps there - 3' ditches set on fire and when a bike/quad goes thru and crashes (even trucks), they either beat you down and take it or just take it... I've had beer bottles thrown at my truck numerous times when my kids were in there with me... and being the nonconfrontational person i am (yeah right haha) i have literally chased them running on foot with my truck up the side of the hill, got out and told they and their irresponsible friends exactly how stupid they were and how lucky they were that i didn't use them as a speed bump - just little ol' me with no back up... I've been there with the National Guard out in full riot gear.. watched them tear gas and shoot rubber bullets into the crowd... After major law enforcement and dusk to dawn closures, glamis has run a lot of the rogue kids out and it has been returning back to the family area I had enjoyed for many years...

Like Glamis, it's not the majority causing the destruction and dangerous situations... All the times I've been down there chasing, I've had nothing but good encounters... I've even had locals tell me how pissed they are that the "others" are ruining for everyone...The things that happen in mexico are people cut of the same mentality and i don't see it going away in Mexico anytime soon, unless someone accidentally takes out a large number of people after a booby trap goes wrong... no chance of law enforcement stepping in at the more popular areas, unless the close it like at ojos... It's a shame that it has come to this, really... It seems that most people of Mexico are gentle people, but it only takes a few bands of bad to ruin it for everyone...

joerader

Reaction
If you ask me, they looked like a bunch of crazed animals. How low class can people become when sombody crashes. You see the kid climbing on the race car?? He should have been ***** slapped rite off there. I have been going to races most of my life, and the people that watch from down south, completly turn to animals with 0 commin sence, when watching a race!! They looked like a pack of hyenas. I would never in my life time let my children climb on sombodys race car after they crashed!! I have yet to see a crowd in the states behave like that, even as drunk as they get!! I wonder how much was stolen from his car while he was changing his tire??? Sombody is going to die one day from booby traps, and these parisites would strip there bodys of anything of value before anybody with any dignity shows up!! what a mess

Someone told me this story about Parnelli Jones:

some locals setup a booby trap with logs, & it backfired: PJ crashed into them..killed a bunch of them. Get this: PJ kept on haulin'!!

Moral of the Story:

"Stupidity is its Own Reward"

bomber

Reaction
... 3' ditches set on fire and when a bike/quad goes thru and crashes (even trucks...

Haha, why would you ride through fire someone else set? I still don't see that as malicious as setting a booby trap up where it is for sure that a large number of vehicles will be going through and having 200 people just watch and let it happen. Not trying to say Glamis has no problems or screwed up people, just not as many doing something as bad.

Mary Kay

PRINCESS
Reaction
man felt bad for the driver when he got out, i would have drove on with four flats before i got out!

bajamedic07

Reaction
iam sorry but i would have been super p.o.'d if the local kids were standing all over my 100 of thousand dollar car....i cant believe he got out....

redline

Reaction
that booby trap was right off the start in the contruction area right after you went up the big hill i was coming down the back side of it. it looked like it was done with one of the tractors. when i came through there in the proturck the was another protruck that had just rolled off it in front of us. there was another trap a lil farther down the hill on a drop off where they had taken the tractor and cut a nice hole in it. Darwin says the car should have rolled into the people just for stupidity. but the the driver probly wouldnt be alive and racing would probly cease in baja.

CannondaleRider

Reaction
Better view.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8lPg8o4r1Y"]BAJA 1000 2007[/ame]

Man...ignorant people just make me beyond angry. "Lets set up a trap to cause cars to wreck, or come close to wrecking, then get angry when they almost hit somebody because they almost wreck..." There is some FINE thought processes there!

retroblazer

Reaction
Booby traps have been part of the racing in Baja since I started in the eighties and I'm sure,well before. You have to "read" booby traps just like you do natural terrain. If you don't like it, you should be short course racing. Some promoters short course jumps are worse than the traps by the way.

CannondaleRider

Reaction
Just because booby traps have been a part of Baja for years....it makes it alright? They are deliberatly trying to get people to crash, with the goal of seeing carnage. That is NOT ok. Granted, this particular one doesn't appear to be a big deal, unless your just not paying attention. But other traps arn't such a small deal.

I didn't see any booby traps at the Terrible 400 in '05, I haven't seen any booby traps at the Avi 150 the past two years. Of course, I haven't seen any in my regular national WORCS races. Wonder what the difference is.....:rolleyes:

If somebody were to setup a series of booby traps at a BITD race, or some other US desert race, people would definatly get extremely angry. It happens in Baja....and you just chalk it up to "being Baja"

harleys dad

Reaction
Better view.

BAJA 1000 2007

Man...ignorant people just make me beyond angry. "Lets set up a trap to cause cars to wreck, or come close to wrecking, then get angry when they almost hit somebody because they almost wreck..." There is some FINE thought processes there!
I am told that Hyenas have small brains!!! Thats why

bcampbell04

Resident Almost Know-it-all
Reaction
that's insane. can't believe some people just want to see wrecks. explains why so many people get hurt when those idots build traps like this. things like this have ended many races for teams. the speed technologies car went big off it. looked like a decent save to me since it doesn't appear that they roll.

Dezertpilot

Reaction
Booby traps have been part of the racing in Baja since I started in the eighties and I'm sure,well before. You have to "read" booby traps just like you do natural terrain. If you don't like it, you should be short course racing. Some promoters short course jumps are worse than the traps by the way.

Hey Chris was wondering how far you got after San Telmo road? Me and my buddy were the one who pulled your front driveshaft after it broke coming around the corner.

bajabird

Reaction
Website
www.mybaja1000.com
Someone down south has been selling booby trap plans. Seems I hit at least 20 of the same height and (bad) angle along the 900+ miles I drove. Some were more creative at night I think, I rolled over one that was on fire.

Anyone else get a facefull of dirt from the people on the hill at mile 8? Directed off course by the line up of girls (with course markers in cheering fashion in hand)?

Gosh the list of cr#p kept getting longer all the way through to El Rosario, then they mellowed out. No problems south of Juanico.