• Forum membership has its advantages....

On Topic Checklist, info-guides, waivers admin to race help

ffdfrontman

I'm organizing a race team after racing with another team. Instead of re-inventing the wheel in the area of admin I thought to try here for some info or those willing to email me stuff for guidance might be a huge help and safety from noob oversights.

The team I have been driving for has been a huge help already pretty much opening all their books for me. I have also saved or redone some info posted here already such as safety guides, chase crew safety and such.

What I'm looking for: season budget or planning sheets (don't need numbers as much as just line items to consider); checklists (chase truck, race day, prepping, personnel, packing, parts boxes, etc); waivers (driver, pit, or chase); whatever I'm missing you find useful to manage your race teams, or helps your crew chiefs lives easier.

I know it's a lot to ask, but after watching and racing with some well oiled machines out there I look at anyone willing to provide this info as doing a solid mostly for safety/planning/cost reduction. Mistakes and oversights can be costly or even deadly.

If you care to help me either post here (maybe help others) or email directly to [email protected]

I'll state it here all of your content will be kept confidential. I will not share it. All content provided will be treated as proprietary, I will only use it for guidance and reference to create my own. I will not use your documents, logos, or files to violate any copyright, trademark or direct copy use without prior approval from document owner.

Thank you.

JDDurfey

A lot of this has been discussed in other threads in one way or another, but to dig through and find what you want might be difficult.

However, if you want specifics, you need to give people some more info. Like where are you planning to race, Baja or the US. What are you planning to race, a bike, UTV, buggy or truck. Chase trucks and race day planning vary greatly depending on which of these you do.

If you are going to be racing shorter desert races, like the ones here in Texas, there isn't much of a need for a "chase truck" The races are typically a loop, and if the race car breaks down you will be out of the race. Many BITD races are the same or they have a handful of places you can pit your race car and do repairs. Most of the US races can be handled with one pit truck and a truck that can go out and do recovery. This could even be the same vehicle. Logistics for the US races are much easier to deal with.

Baja on the other hand is a completely different animal. A minimum of two chase trucks that can double as pit trucks (and a couple of pit trucks if desired) will be necessary even for the San Felipe 250. There are companies that you can pay to provide pit services and BFG provides pit services to those running their tires free of charge. However, for BFG pits you must pay a company to transport your fuel to the pits, unless something has changed in the last few years, BFG does not transport fuel, but will fuel the race car at the pits, change tires, do repairs and welding. I had some great experiences with their services. Thanks to them we avoided some break downs in the middle of nowhere and they tightened bolts and added diff fluid and we didn't have to even unbuckle. Logistics in Baja can be a nightmare to deal with at times.

As far as budgets and waivers, I wasn't involved in any of that. I handled riding/co-driving duties, pre-run and race day logistics, like who went where and who rode/drove what section. I also prepped the race bike while racing a bike and did last minute prep to the race car once in Mexico.

There are some things for you to think about. And you very well may already have this knowledge since you have some racing experience. Asking specific questions will get you more specific answers.

ffdfrontman

A lot of this has been discussed in other threads in one way or another, but to dig through and find what you want might be difficult.

However, if you want specifics, you need to give people some more info. Like where are you planning to race, Baja or the US. What are you planning to race, a bike, UTV, buggy or truck. Chase trucks and race day planning vary greatly depending on which of these you do.

If you are going to be racing shorter desert races, like the ones here in Texas, there isn't much of a need for a "chase truck" The races are typically a loop, and if the race car breaks down you will be out of the race. Many BITD races are the same or they have a handful of places you can pit your race car and do repairs. Most of the US races can be handled with one pit truck and a truck that can go out and do recovery. This could even be the same vehicle. Logistics for the US races are much easier to deal with.

Baja on the other hand is a completely different animal. A minimum of two chase trucks that can double as pit trucks (and a couple of pit trucks if desired) will be necessary even for the San Felipe 250. There are companies that you can pay to provide pit services and BFG provides pit services to those running their tires free of charge. However, for BFG pits you must pay a company to transport your fuel to the pits, unless something has changed in the last few years, BFG does not transport fuel, but will fuel the race car at the pits, change tires, do repairs and welding. I had some great experiences with their services. Thanks to them we avoided some break downs in the middle of nowhere and they tightened bolts and added diff fluid and we didn't have to even unbuckle. Logistics in Baja can be a nightmare to deal with at times.

As far as budgets and waivers, I wasn't involved in any of that. I handled riding/co-driving duties, pre-run and race day logistics, like who went where and who rode/drove what section. I also prepped the race bike while racing a bike and did last minute prep to the race car once in Mexico.

There are some things for you to think about. And you very well may already have this knowledge since you have some racing experience. Asking specific questions will get you more specific answers.
I agree with what your asking of me but I kept it vague to get a wide source of responses. Just cause it's a buggy or a quad maybe there is something to be leveraged from one side to another. Though I have experience in racing and have signed or had to read a number of forms it's a whole different animal when stepping into organizing, and keeping organized a race team. It would be great to have this shared publicly for others to look at and use.

Specifically to answer your questions. I am racing assembling a class 11 team to race both in the US (BITD, SNORE) and Mexico (SCORE). Some may immediately think that's easy in a class 11, no the same challenges and risks are present every step of the way. We will start racing our car in 2018 (officially). Gonna shake it down in Texas at the end of the year in TORRA, maybe BITD V2R. To better simulate a 500+ mile race.

JDDurfey

I would imagine that there would be a few people on this forum that would share their waivers with you. I have signed a few, but who reads those things anyway, right. I had to sign one for Hooters when they sponsored us and it was long. Of course, I do not have a copy of it anymore.

Good luck in your adventures. Find a chiropractor and a massage therapist to join your team for after the race is over :)