• Forum membership has its advantages....

Chenowth 1000 3 link Restore

oldschool5er

I am in full swing getting the little things done but all the businesses including my access to the machine shop have closed. Since I am attached to a University I can not work in it until this stuff is over. I am in self quaranteen and really have not been able to go out other than working in the house garage and the Governor plans to shut down any travel outside the houses at some point , but I am working on what I have at the garage that needs done just backwards from my sequence I had planned on doing.

I have layed out most of the lettering I want on the skin graphics in Adobe and will maintain the lettering at the upper side lip " 1981 Class 9 Champs" since it was the points class winner. I am putting a dedication panel for Kruger and Lester under it with the other drivers names on the hood plague.

I finished the rebuilds of the Jamar brake masters, I took a minor liberty on changing out the res top hold down knobs. I got new small knobs also but went with the easier to grab larger 3 star syle. Bench bled and ready to put on the new floor panel. I received my new Jamar turning brake in and am laying it out on a mounting panel. It is a tight area and careful placement to keep knees and arms etc. from banging into it. Made my plate to mount the Simpson Halon system behind the seat with the cable actuator running to the left side.

Attachments

Rory

Crayola Killer
Looking good. You will like that turning brake as I had one in the DirTrix, that thing worked EXCELLENT and really enjoyed using it when on the fire roads and tight corners. Jamar makes some really nice stuff and one of the early manufactures in the desert racing scene along with Neal and CNC.

Bro_Gill

That's what I heard as well, but they were in business a long time as Neal before the split. And both managed to do well after they split. Usually that split include a civil war and the demise of the combatants.

Rory

Crayola Killer
I guess the question now is who will start building kits to replace the CNC stuff we already have? I'm sure SOMEONE will start doing it. Isn't the "Neal" stuff pretty much the same as the CNC stuff?

partybarge_pilot

When it comes down to something important like brakes, go with something that you can get parts for and works. CNC only had one of those things going for them the last 10 years. Stick some Tiltons in it so you don't have to worry about them not working half way through NORRA.

oldschool5er

In my case I could get every single part new for the Jamar Masters, but I had to use multiple sources to do it. I admit I could have bought brand new masters actually for less money. The Jamar bores were in perfect condition so I was able to keep them and maintain the vintage OE setup which is my goal as much as possible. I did end up buying the Jamar clutch slave, master and go pedal so now Jamar through out.

I guess the question now is who will start building kits to replace the CNC stuff we already have? I'm sure SOMEONE will start doing it. Isn't the "Neal" stuff pretty much the same as the CNC stuff?
I think you can find whats needed in new parts for CNC and Neal as most of those parts are used in other brand brake hydraulics. If you are just trying to find seals and rings etc, that is easier then trying to find the right spool. But it would take some time researching to get a crossover together. I think most of the time the bores and spools can be saved unless it had been used for a long time. Years ago I was able to get seals for CNC by just matching to domestic kits. I think it is only worth it if you are trying to maintain a vintage look and you have an excellant core to work with.

oldschool5er

I Pulled the Wright Rack apart and found it in really nice condition so it must have been close to new before the car was moth balled. I have pulled a few Wright racks apart and found most had wear on the pinion head, but this one did not. The pain was cleaning out all the white Lithium grease that had effectivly turned into something akin to claybar. It did have a dose of good Moly grease in it which cleaned out easily and was still viable. The bearing and bushing did not need any replacement. The thrust plate showed no wear so I didn't even need to touch it other than where it left some burrs from the rack stopping at the end of the slot. I put on new boots that ended up fitting like crap because at the time I couldn't find boots like the Wright original boots. I was given a good tip on what Cecil Wright used and I was able to order them today, so out with the crap and in with the new.
I have swapped in Chinese racks into a Wright case before when I was desparate to keep a Wright rack from being thrown away, but I found the Wright to be much better in spec and seems the hardening process on it much better than the clone.

Attachments

Rory

Crayola Killer
Cecil seriously had his heat treating and hardening chit down. It seems to be lost now. From his arms to rack-n-pinion, his parts would out last even the stuff made today.
Martin, a guy called me last week and said he bought all the left overs from “The Wright Place” RECENTLY. He told me he has front arms, spindles and steering stuff, maybe not a ton but he said their seemed to be quite a bit. He also has all the jigs for the arms and I think he plans on doing new builds once he gets his shop set up. He will get a hold of me once he’s ready to go.

LantanaTX

Another great option is Ray Davison who took over Woods. He is making Woods chromoly arms and spindles and his heat treat must be pretty good as we have thousands of miles with no failures.

Bro_Gill

Another great option is Ray Davison who took over Woods. He is making Woods chromoly arms and spindles and his heat treat must be pretty good as we have thousands of miles with no failures.
How old is that info? Seems I have heard it several times over the years, but parts are always might be might not be available.