• Forum membership has its advantages....

Chenowth 1000 Good NORRA Car in Phoenix

TJ_Gambino

I made a deal to buy it. Viewed it, left a deposit and made arrangements to pick it up. When I arrived with a trailer it was gone. Another off road racer came in a snaked it out from under me. If you bought the car I appreciate your lack of ethics towards other off road racers. By the way it is the #3 Chenowth 1000 chassis built. Enjoy the restoration process.

LantanaTX

What a d... ! Some people need a ass beating.
I know the guy who bought and he is an honest good guy. You should be talking about the seller. Did someone make an offer below the asking price and place a deposit? I don't know what it sold for but I would bet it was the full asking price which was a bargain. BTW, It is not the third Chenowth 1000 built. It has the exact same serial number as the car I bought from Dallas a few months ago. I talked to Lynn Chenowth today about how two cars had the same number and he said the reason two cars would have the same serial number is because mine in Chromoly and the Pheonix car is mild steel. My car is 1133 / C1RL1W and the Phoenix car is 1133 / M1RL1W. Lynn said the chromoly and mild steel cars each had their own numbering. My only interest in the Phoenix car is that I had been asked by Jim Guthrie to try to locate his old car. This Phoenix car is possibly it. If we can document that then we will have to try to buy it from the new owner just like anyone else.

fatsaz

So if some one put a deposit on the car and got for whatever price it was u find it ok for some ass hat to offer more for the car and get it. But its the sellers fault? Really? Whose not going to sell it to your buddy who offered more. Have some ethics. But people like that have always been around. In sure that will not change

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Caveat emptor fataz. The person who broke the deal was the seller. It is likely that the buyer didn't even know the car was tentatively sold. The only way he would know this is if the seller provided this information, which is caveat venditor. If it is any condolence, the same thing happened to me on a single seat Raceco this past spring. I was pissed at the seller for breaking our deal...not the other guy. My 2 pesos...FWIW.

fatsaz

I was not buying the car. But I'm sure he was told about it being sold. Money talks and BS walks. Good luck on the build good guy.

TJ_Gambino

I do not see the need for this thread to go the wrong direction. In my opinion this whole situation could have been avoided a few ways.

1. The seller was generous enough to show the vehicle on Christmas eve. An offer was made and accepted. In an effort to let the seller return home to his family I offered to pick up the vehicle after Christmas and he thought that was best. He didn't know me and I didn't know him. Should I trust him and just give him cash and hope he was a good guy? Probably not. That is why a deposit was left. I am at fault because I should have paid the man and taken a several hours to round everything up.

2. The seller should have lived up to the deal he made and if I violated the agreement he then could sell the car to someone else and keep my deposit. Additionally, knowing he made a deal, he still entertained offers and did not inform me the car had sold nor did he give me an opportunity to counter offer. It wasn't until I showed up that I found out I was cut out of the deal. The seller was not a very ethical person.

2. Lantana TX you are correct on the information regarding the deal. You know this because your friend told you exactly what transpired. So he obviously knew a deal had been struck and a deposit paid on the car. Knowing this, your friend did not respect the deal in place, offered more than the already agreed upon price in order to get the seller to give him the car. He has the car, so best of luck when you restore it,

So this entire discussion can end and hopefully the car is restored and raced once again.

Bro_Gill

Seller is a p e n i s. Happened to me before. Actually twice, but only once was I there with a trailer to pick up the car and left empty handed. 2nd time I said I would buy the chassis, be back when the seller had collected the rest of the body parts and give me a call to bring the cash and trailer. After 2 weeks of many calls and messages, I get a text that says car is not available. Sucks, but that is how many folks seem to do business these days, out to screw whoever they can.

LantanaTX

I do not see the need for this thread to go the wrong direction. In my opinion this whole situation could have been avoided a few ways.

1. The seller was generous enough to show the vehicle on Christmas eve. An offer was made and accepted. In an effort to let the seller return home to his family I offered to pick up the vehicle after Christmas and he thought that was best. He didn't know me and I didn't know him. Should I trust him and just give him cash and hope he was a good guy? Probably not. That is why a deposit was left. I am at fault because I should have paid the man and taken a several hours to round everything up.

2. The seller should have lived up to the deal he made and if I violated the agreement he then could sell the car to someone else and keep my deposit. Additionally, knowing he made a deal, he still entertained offers and did not inform me the car had sold nor did he give me an opportunity to counter offer. It wasn't until I showed up that I found out I was cut out of the deal. The seller was not a very ethical person.

2. Lantana TX you are correct on the information regarding the deal. You know this because your friend told you exactly what transpired. So he obviously knew a deal had been struck and a deposit paid on the car. Knowing this, your friend did not respect the deal in place, offered more than the already agreed upon price in order to get the seller to give him the car. He has the car, so best of luck when you restore it,

So this entire discussion can end and hopefully the car is restored and raced once again.
Just to clear things up. I know the buyer is a good guy by reputation only. I have never met or spoken to the buyer... ever. We have a mutual friend that has relayed my messages to him which were only about certain details of the car. I had no idea what the buyer knew about any previous deal and only learned of your deposit from your post above. I am hoping to find a specific car and and based on the details I requested through the mutual friend, this car is promising. If the car checks out, then we will have to try to convince the new buyer to sell it. I have no personal interest in this car as I just bought a Chenowth 1000 a few months ago that we have started to restore. I just assumed that the seller was offered more. I bought many things were the seller said "first one who shows up with the cash gets it". Like I said before, if anyone has a gripe it should be with the seller who should have at least communicated with you. When I take a deposit on something I am selling and get a call, I tell people that a deal has been made and ask if they want to be contacted if it falls through. As a seller I have always stuck to commitments but always try to have a backup buyer too.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

fatsaz

And the plot thickens. Way to cover your a, , Lol. Im done with this thread . But it was funny to read. Thanks TJ gambino and good luck to who ever gets the car

brucep

I'm familiar with that part of town it's in sunnyslope aka tweaker town where you are ranked in the community by how many bicycle parts and teeth you have. Probably in a hurry to get rid of it before it got stolen. The only thing that part of town has going for it is John C Lincoln hospital founded by the inventor of the Lincoln welder cuz his wife had bad asthma.

PHAIII113

I am the one that bought the car. If you want to talk **** about me or my character, I will give you my address and you can come talk to me in person. Not over social media.
I called on the car on Tuesday morning and the seller told me that someone put a small deposit on the car and he would let me know if he backs out. While I was at lunch with my wife, I got a phone call from the seller, asking me if I was interested in it and if I had cash. I said yes and had the cash in hand and drove over to look at the car. I liked the car, even though it was not the year car I was looking for. I offered him what he was asking for it and he took it. That is the story!!!!!!
I would like to thank everyone that has stuck up for me on this forum, you know who you are:) I am a off road racer at heart (worked for trophy truck teams, Lucas oil pro 4 team, now a vintage race car driver/vintage car preper). I have been turned on to this vintage stuff by a good friend of mine/co-driver/car owner/one of the most honest people I know.