Chenowth installed racing engine

mogman

RDC Crypto
I have a Chenowth FAV from circa 1982 that is said to have a 2L 200HP VW engine, I find 200HP hard to believe but that is what is said
BEST.jpg

So my engine has a code that does not correlate with any engine code that I can find, the hand stamped code looks like FL0016
It looks like they started with a virgin case as it was obviously not surfaced to remove any existing numbers.
Anyone know what engine builder may have used the code FL in the early 80s?

mgobaja

RDC Crypto
Major Performance did engines for several military vehicle builds that Chenoweth was part of. I believe also that FAT did some as well.

Advertising supports this site

mogman

RDC Crypto
THANKS!! seems FAT would be a suspect but their phone rings once and hangs up. I will try Major.

Last edited:

mogman

RDC Crypto
I know Hatz got the original build contract. 1835ccs if I remember it correctly.
That make more sense the more I look at this thing, it has a single Weber 40IDF carb, with the EW mark.
Stories are the FAV had a 2L plus engine making 200HP, that seems pretty "far out there" to me, a 1835 making somewhere around 60-80HP sounds much more reasonable given the carb setup.
Of course later they could have changed allot, from the limited research that I can believe my FAV went through the fist round of "upgrades" including the side baskets, headlight mods etc. then was sent to Nevada to patrol gov. installations in that state, possibly the nuclear test sight, there is allot written that does not make sense when it is all put together so some sorting is definitely in order. I really don't know anything that I did not read on the interweb.. But I did find two other FAVs that were set up EXACTLY as mine was and are in Nevada.
THANKS for the help!!

JBuggy21

RDC Crypto
Can I ask why you think this motor is something special? Not that I’m doubting you, I just wonder if there as marking or something to make you suspect this? If it has a single 40 Weber you can pull it apart and check jets and Venturis. Just a thought.

mogman

RDC Crypto
Can I ask why you think this motor is something special? Not that I’m doubting you, I just wonder if there as marking or something to make you suspect this? If it has a single 40 Weber you can pull it apart and check jets and Venturis. Just a thought.
I bought an FAV and am just doing research, the engine does not have a factory code so I am hoping it is the original motor, they were custom built by someone for Chenowth to install in the government contract FAVs.
Not saying it is something "special" but it looks like #16 of a limited run.

Last edited:

Bro_Gill

Live. Laugh. Love.
RDC Crypto
The first like, 100 or 130. what ever the initial contract called for Chenowth won the bid over several companies trying for it. I believe Hatz got the sub for the engines and either ITS or Mendeola got the sub for the trans. It's been a while. I was good friends with one of the engine builders that tried for the initial contract back then. If I remember correctly, it was to be a pump gas air cooled engine with 80 hp minimum. I think several of the initial builders did stock stroke big piston builds for ease of parts access down the road. Many extra engines on top of what were put in the cars were built, crated, and purchased for replacement in the field. Some of that stuff is still showing up unused at auctions. Can't remember who, but some folks that race desert bought a container full of I think 3rd Gen FAV stuff that included 8-10 big built type 4 motors in the last couple years. Your car is either first or second gen since it's a 4LW 100" chassis. Try to contact Gary Haughley who used to own B&R Buggy, He was actually involved the the driver training program for the military at Pendleton for many years. Also, Lynn Chenowth is still alive at his museum down in Percebu below San Felipe. He kept records of chassis via the chassis tags, so probably knows exactly what the original build for your car is.

mogman

RDC Crypto
I have measured it several times through the spark plug hole and keep coming up with a 80MM (edit, miss calculated) stroke,
sorry I miss calculated, it looks like about 80MM, popped the valve cover off and there is some real nice looking blue anodized spacers on the rocker shaft, everything looks real nice inside, will hopefully be an easy build.

Last edited:

mogman

RDC Crypto
I have measured it a dozen times and keep getting 80MM, I did not see any reference to 80MM stroke on a VW just 78 and 82 but that chart has an 80mm on it.
will have to pull the head to actually see what the bore and stroke are, I have to clear some space in my shop first so it has a permanent indoor spot.