Chenowth Rebuild

volks 73

A buddy of mine and I picked up an older Chenowth a few weeks ago. We are planning on running it in the 2014 NORRA. Our plan is to go through the car and rebuild or replace worn or broken parts. Our first hurdle is the rear brakes they are CARR brand, it seems they are out of business. If anybody knows anything about CARR brakes or has any parts for them please let us know.

Attachments

LantanaTX

Very cool car. Do you know anything about its history? As far as the brakes go, post some pictures. Some brands used standard brake pads such as Wilwood. FAT performance used to sell parts for CARR brakes.

volks 73

We were told the car was built by the McMillin's , they called it red dog and used it as a back up car. We never verified what we were told. Our plan is to go through all of the mechanical parts of the car and to leave most of the cosmetics alone. We checked with Fat performance , they no longer carry CARR brand parts. The car is powered by a Toyota 4 AGE engine . If any body has info on running this engine in an off road car. We would like hear from them. We dont have a huge budget ,but want to make the car as solid as we can. I will post pictures of the brake parts tonight.

philofab

Powered by Optima
Toyota 4AG were used in Class 10 cars for a long time. FAT knows their way around them quite well.

The stickers tell me it's a Phoenix car. Probably late 90s.

Rory

Crayola Killer
Pretty sure Wilwood calipers will bolt right up to the hubs. Thats a nice car and has history with the McMillins, will look very nice after a ground up restoration. Good luck and welcome to the NORRA family.

volks 73

Thanks for the replys . I will check with wildwood to see if they have anything that will work. The caliper bolt holes are suppose to have a steel bushing in them. I dont think you can see them in the picture, One of the bushings is in good shape the other is about half way gone. This one would be easy to fix, by making a new bushing. The other caliper both bushing are gone and the holes are a bit egg shaped. Not sure if its worth salvaging. If brake pads and rebuild kits for the caliper were available I would be tempted to weld the holes closed, re drill them and make new bushing for them. The roters are in pretty good shape. One of the hubs was broken on the raised step up that rests against the bearing. I believe these hubs are off of a VW bus? If I understand it right the stub axles are off of an S10. Not sure if these are available or if they have to be made. They are both in good shape.

Attachments

GDRBORETIRED

Depending on how badly egg shaped the holes are perhaps just bore slightly over sized and make a bushing that has an over-sized O.D.

LantanaTX

Wow, Interesting setup. Looks like the calipers mount backwards from normal. This could be a problem. If the original calipers can't be saved you may have to use a different setup.

CZLou

Yes, the calipers are mounted backwards/inside from the normal. That's a good idea with the overbore and bigger steel bushing. but our brake pads holes are egg shaped too and we are looking for the pads also. We are trying to keep this Chenowth as close to original as we can. If anyone has any CARR brake parts laying around and would like to sell them, Please let volks 73 or I know. If anyone has a Old FAT 4age motor or parts for one, we would be interested also in them. This car hasn't seen a good prep/teardown in a FEW years. Hopefully we will get this car up and going for the NORRA 1000 next year. This will be the Frist offroad race for both of us.

Rory

Crayola Killer
Wow, i forgot about the way the CARR brakes were set up, that IS old school...jajaja. Your best bet is to give Jamar a call and get a set of their rear hubs, they're not too expensive and they are a better hub/braking system. I believe your front hubs are CNC's and are an upgrade from original so i'd do the same in the rear. Good brakes are a must on a race car, hoping those 25 year old hubs/brakes hold up in Mexico for 1000 miles is a crap shoot, especially with no spares. Good, luck, keep us posted on your build!

MC@ Performance Fab

Been a while since I have seen a pair of those, back in the 80s. The rear hubs do look like bus stuff, the stub axles are either a modified bus or an aftermarket bus 930 setup. The bus stubs came in two different lengths, the long ones were the same length as a type1 setup. Going to guess those are the type1 length. The bus stubs and hubs are strong as hell, I have a lot of miles on them and have never had an issue. Summers Brothers used to sell a bearing kit to adapt the bus stubs into a type1 bearing housing. Again I would guess you have something like that. On the calipers I would just send them out to a good machine shop and do a slight bore to clean up the holes and rebush. They need to be able to float so its not surprising the holes are a bit off after this long. The bus stubs setup for 930s are still around and easy to get.

CZLou

MC can't say i know to much about the bus stub axles. If we have to go with new calipers and rotors. Will the new rotors fit on the bus stubs? CNC, PRO-AM or ? I don't think i've seen bus size stubs axles on any sites. Also I know we will have to modify our arm's to fit new calipers.

Bro_Gill

I believe Tatum or one of the Az/ based barke companies also offers bus stub disc brake kits. They are still out there.

CZLou

We will be looking in to them. Seems that will be the way we have to go. Thanks for the help.

harleys dad

I could swear Red dog was lengthend by my dad in the 80s, in 82-83 and had a much different look? I rode a lot of miles in Red dog, Margerita moma which was Scotts 1200 cc 10 car when it was a 100ish wheelbase car later to be a longer class 2 Macado, pre run 1. Congrats on the car

volks 73

I went to McKenzies tody,They were supper helpfull. Looks like CNC has a brake set up that will bolt directly on. They are going to call CNC to ask a couple of specific questions an call me tomorrow. The stub axles are long bus stubs, Readily available they took 1 off the shelf to compare it to what I had. As far as the car being red dog or McMillin car, I'm just going off what the prev.owner claims. Supposably the chasis is a 1985 it will be interesting to see if anybody comes thru with more of the history or some pictures of the car.

Last edited:

Bro_Gill

I remember now that Gear 1 in Az. offered Bus stub disk set-ups and some 1600 cars ran them in the dez. As far as history on the car, the McMillins did build a couple Chenowth DR2s when the built the DR1 around that time. This chassis looks al ittle different, but could still be one of those cars. I had one of the McMillin 100" cars (believe it was Coyote, at least, that is what all the aluminum wasmarked for it)and the build on those was also bus stubs in Mark Stahl 3x3 arms and bus drums. I don't know if Red Dog was one of the 100" cars or a later DR2 based car. I know the car you bought was advertised as a McMillin car. Good luck with the rebuild.

CZLou

MC, Nice looking set up and car. If it is a McMillins car, That be would great. It does have Red Dog writen on one of the side panels. One step at a time, We will get her to the 1000. We hope to meet and race with you all. Thank's for the help.