chevy 1500: CST - Deaver - king -FRUSTRATED- spring rates and valving.

bullcrew

Reaction
OK Im frustrated a bit, heres the situation!

00 1500
FRONT: cst LT kit with uniballs and spindle- king 10" coil over 4/500# over 19.5/800#
REAR: Deaver 87 pack 9 leaf with 18" sway away shocks (resevoir) 5 degree tilt forward from cage.

Rear sway aways are valved #8000 on rebound and #10000 on compression with all 3 bleedscrews removed (per sway away) and 150psi nitrogen. Front I have no idea.

Front is WAY too stiff and so bad it has zero body lean when cornering hard, rear is horrid on small/medium bumps if its a long roller it rocks but then again a stock truck can do that. The rear is way stiff, barely moves when I push down (im 230lbs) and it ramps fast.

Rear has a bumper/hoops with a 35" spare along with a hi lift jack back there so its not too heavy aong with factory bed (flared) all cage is done through the bed.

I have felt other trucks that are soft and compliant with coils as well as the front can be pushed down and just soaks up everything. Granted this isnt custom fabed like my old truck but this is too stiff..

I Deaver springs have maybe 2000 miles and 30 off road.

What are other peoples spring rates on front and what valving and or add/remove a leaf or what for the rear.

Thanks in advance and sorry if this isnt reading very well, its late and Im frustrated. It will be worth it when the truck is functioning right and I know others have this set up working I just need some direction.

CMazzulla

Reaction
I would like to see the ride height and the amount of preload on the front. What kind of weight do you have in the rear? I have also noticed that shackle angle and how tight the leaf spring pivot bolts are make a difference.

bullcrew

Reaction
I would like to see the ride height and the amount of preload on the front. What kind of weight do you have in the rear? I have also noticed that shackle angle and how tight the leaf spring pivot bolts are make a difference.
rear is 7" up and 10" down cycled it and its 16 before rubber bump and tire weight with no momentum so its limited at 16.
Front is 14" total 7 up and 7 droop, honest opinion is the 800 is maybe 2-3 turns max on the 800. It destroys the 500 before setting on the 800.

Ride height is pretty good its no real snout tall and the back is at a good mix as far as the up/down. I want to soften the springs but not lose too much ride height.

Shackle angle is in stock pocket (camburg shackle) and sits striaght up and down at ride height and maybe 15 + degrees (could be a a bit more) forward at droop.

Weight is stock bed medium cage with 35" spare and a hi lift.

Thanks, T

Last edited:

bullcrew

Reaction
OK Im pulling 3rd from the bottom leaf and swapping valving to 8000 comp/10000 rebound and putting 1 of the 3 bleed screws back in the piston then go from there.
Thoughts on this????

Random Thoughts Racing

Reaction
What about the front? Is it too much spring, valving, something binding? As an experiment try lowering the front gas pressire to nearly nothing. If it still wont move then it is likely the spring. If it gets suddenly softer then lower the shock valving and repressurize to a stable pressure.

bullcrew

Reaction
What about the front? Is it too much spring, valving, something binding? As an experiment try lowering the front gas pressire to nearly nothing. If it still wont move then it is likely the spring. If it gets suddenly softer then lower the shock valving and repressurize to a stable pressure.

Sup, I talked to Shane C today... Yeah hes rubbing it in that his bronco is butter with deavers. Said its a bilstein thing! :D
Yeah I assume the front is over sprung a bit and Im looking for a 600 - 700 spring 3"id 18" long used. I did the new spring thing and ended up having several last time I dialed my truck in.....

Tell shane to buy a real mans vehicle and ditch the ford LMAO..... His suspension works good but the truck isnt runing for squat! :D:D:D:D

Yeah Ill lower the nitrogen in the front a bit! Thanks.

I did a 1 under the initial shim on the compression side today didnt get around to pulling a leaf yet but with out shocks and jumping in the bed I cant get it to bottom and Im 230lbs....It has 7" up travel and Im getting 4-5 at most with bouncing and doing it in rythm....

CMazzulla

Reaction
I always run a 5/800 spring rate on the front of these trucks, its a good combo. It sounds like a valving issue. As for the rear, the one and only thing that will dramatically change the ride is weight behind the axle. I have only noticed minor changes by playing with valving and freebleed. I feel that removing a leaf is a bad idea because it changes the progression rate of the spring. You can have Deaver make a custom spring that uses thinner leafs, and adding more leafs for a more progressive rate but then you will have to address an axle wrap issue. The shackle angle is debatable but the easier that spring can move is always better IMO. More weight is gonna let you run a bigger arched spring which will speed up the rebound and give you more control of unsprung weight and it will take a bigger bump to effect the ride of the truck. It sounds like the shock location and travel numbers are pretty normal. cool truck.

bullcrew

Reaction
I always run a 5/800 spring rate on the front of these trucks, its a good combo. It sounds like a valving issue. As for the rear, the one and only thing that will dramatically change the ride is weight behind the axle. I have only noticed minor changes by playing with valving and freebleed. I feel that removing a leaf is a bad idea because it changes the progression rate of the spring. You can have Deaver make a custom spring that uses thinner leafs, and adding more leafs for a more progressive rate but then you will have to address an axle wrap issue. The shackle angle is debatable but the easier that spring can move is always better IMO. More weight is gonna let you run a bigger arched spring which will speed up the rebound and give you more control of unsprung weight and it will take a bigger bump to effect the ride of the truck. It sounds like the shock location and travel numbers are pretty normal. cool truck.
Thanks and yeah its not too bad not like your stuff or kevin and buff but its not getting me almost divorced like the race yota did. Its amazing what happens when a wifes friend tells her what a real trucks worth. Would have been worse had her friend been closer to the figure but I would have been divorced for sure! :D:D:D:D
This time Im keeping it cheap!;)

A life lesson NEVER add your receipts up for your build, keep them for insurance purposes but dont add them up. Also NEVER put them where the wife can come accross them, I kept mine distributed between my 3 glass shops offices so they looked like shop vehicle expenses! LMAO I love my toys but I love my wife too! Its only lying if you open your mouth.....

I am going to try and run a little less nitro in the front and if its still stiff then revalve.
I am not wanting to add weight but Ill do a lead block under if nothing else. I talked to another buddy and he said on occasion hes had to ace 3rd from the bottom on the deavers.

bullcrew

Reaction
OK went out and tested the stack for the rear and DAMN even without messing with the pack its pretty smooth now. Hitting a 3'+ fast hip at 55-60 and sending it 30'+ out and its doing really well. Front is a little rough but Ill address that tomorrow.
Rear hits but doesnt bottom, its either a little fast on the rebound or over sprung and throwing the ass up a bit on take off. Backs a little higher coming in than Id like.
Its a faster hit not a gradual slope but nothing huge or stupid.

OK heres the new problem the front when cycling likes to hook of one way or the other Im assuming alignments out pretty bad for it to pull around so Ill sport an alignment tomorrow as well. If anyone knows different please speak up Id hate to align just to change it and have to align again. AHHH I will wait till Im done tuning the front then align.

IF I stick hydraulic bumps on rear should it really level out the rear on big hits???

RACERX686

Reaction
i always run a 5/800 spring rate on the front of these trucks, its a good combo. It sounds like a valving issue. As for the rear, the one and only thing that will dramatically change the ride is weight behind the axle. I have only noticed minor changes by playing with valving and freebleed. I feel that removing a leaf is a bad idea because it changes the progression rate of the spring. You can have deaver make a custom spring that uses thinner leafs, and adding more leafs for a more progressive rate but then you will have to address an axle wrap issue. The shackle angle is debatable but the easier that spring can move is always better imo. More weight is gonna let you run a bigger arched spring which will speed up the rebound and give you more control of unsprung weight and it will take a bigger bump to effect the ride of the truck. It sounds like the shock location and travel numbers are pretty normal. Cool truck.
where are you getting your springs from for the 5/800lbs?? I cant for the life of me find those rates from anybody. Only eibach has the 800.. Using 12" coil-overs figuring about 6" 500 and 16" 800 lower.. Everybody else seems to only go to 700lbs..

bullcrew

Reaction
where are you getting your springs from for the 5/800lbs?? I cant for the life of me find those rates from anybody. Only eibach has the 800.. Using 12" coil-overs figuring about 6" 500 and 16" 800 lower.. Everybody else seems to only go to 700lbs..
King has 800s 18s or 19.5s (length) and 3" ID.