Chevy 1500 suggestions?

D.I.W.

Reaction
Hey all,

Finally got my hands on what seems like a decent project. 92 Chevy C1500, the 5.7L 350. Standard cab/bed (stepside). I'm pretty new to the engine department, semi-familiar with suspension. What would you suggest i start working toward to get something desert-worthy (other than buy a new truck because it's already growing on me, and my s-10 is jealous).

Thanks for any help!

D.I.W.

Reaction
Yup, I know i'll do exhaust, that's easy enough, but what about camwork? I also heard about a 4-7 cylinder firing swap you can do that will yield a little power, anyone know about this? Might as well if i'm going to be tearing the engine apart right?

dirtdudeaz

Reaction
well any more power than stock and youll need to upgrade the transmission or maybe you already plan on buying a race transmission from somewhere. Also this might include a new torque converter. Also not sure if you planned on it but you might consider changing the rear (and front if 4wd) gears up.

if you don't plan to build your headers, dynatech makes really nice stuff. I have them on my DD and they let the truck breathe a lot better with the cat back and intake.

Get a cam for it, these motors like them a lot.

Never heard of the cylinder thing you mentioned...

And if you don't plan on racing this thing at all consider adding a supercharger such as a magnacharger.

Lastly, to tie all of the upgrades and mods together, take your truck to a dyno shop and let them dyno tune your truck to get the best out of it. Not just a power programmer, they are crap; but a dyno tune.

richcomstock

Reaction
The 4-7 cylinder swap on the cam is for high RPMs. Probably not what you want for a DD. I like the selection Comp cams offers and have had friendly service when I've called their tech support. If you dont have much experiance with engines then any good builder can point you in the right direction when you tell them what you're looking to do with the truck. Best of luck with the build.

ChromolyKid

Reaction
I agree with richcomstock. Comp Cams are the way to go. They have Thumpr cam kits that come with just about everything you need. Your truck should have a 700R4 transmission, which is fairly stout. I don't think you need to upgrade it unless you plan on running that 350 on race gas for over 450HP. Just my opinion.

Dirtdudeaz mentioned the gears; I have a 90 C1500 and put 4.56 gears in the rear end, with 35" tires, works perfect on and off-road for me. If you wanna run 33" tires, I would go with 4.11's.

As far as front suspension for your truck, you only really have two options:

1. CST LT Kit- Not a LOT of travel, stronger than stock, but you would have to buy CST's Pro joints unless you wanna put new ball joints in the lower arms every six months. Also, if you plan on getting coil-overs bigger than 2.5", you may have to modify the arms for them to fit. Nothing against CST, I have this kit, I'm just elaborating on the problems you might come across.

2. Custom Made- Something from Mullen maybe? I've never seen one up close but the pictures look like they offer a little more travel, more room for shocks, and a better design.

The rear end of the truck has endless possibilities: You can either put deavers on it, with bumpstops and by-pass shocks (works pretty darn good for most), or you can dump loads of money into it with a custom axle and 4-link with coil-overs and by-pass shocks, or if you're limited on space you can have a cantilever system put in. I'm sure there's lots of other options out there, but those are the first to come across my mind at this hour...

Good luck with your bowtie!

Last edited:

dirtdudeaz

Reaction
Race gas or not if you throw much more power on a stock transmission (headers,exhaust,intake, tune) the transmission will be the first to go out majority of the time. It'd be like the later 4l60's, when I put a cam in mine I've been told by everyone Ive talked to to upgrade...Better sooner than later I guess is the way I see it. Maybe I am wrong.

As far as cams go, don't get something too big if you plan on using large tires. These engines need low end torque so something with a longer exhaust duration and a stall converter will help that a lot. Something like a trucker cam, or something like a 212/218. And for the stall around a 2600 I believe.