chevy 350 fuel delivery problem

mxnocean

Reaction
I have 74' chevy truck with a moderatly built 350. around 420hp with 11.5:1 compression. OK my problem is. When I first start my truck it idles great,revs great. I put it in drive and take off, after the first 1/2 mile or so its start surging like its not getting fuel. Some occasions it actually dies. I role to the side of the road and start it. Its will start right up and idle fine. I push the throttle down and it seems like its not getting enough fuel almost like not all the pistons are firing. I stop for about 5 to 10 minutes then start and it start fine take off and again 1/2 mile or so it does it again. and surges. I thought it was fuel delivery. I tried different fuel cell. manual fuel pump. electric fuel pump. tried both fuel pumps at the same time and same problem. the fuel pumps work great. so I dont know what it could be. Right when it dies or start surging I stop and pop the hood. I check the fuel filter and and its full of fuel every time. IM stumped. what do you guys think.

manicmechanic

Reaction
If you are using the original HEI distributor try replacing the module. They sometimes become very temp sensitive instead of just dying like a good module.

mxnocean

Reaction
If you are using the original HEI distributor try replacing the module. They sometimes become very temp sensitive instead of just dying like a good module.
Ive heard it could be the distributer messing up. its an accel module so I dont know

F1shifty

Reaction
i would have to agree with manic. check for good spark voltage when its warm. ive had the same symptons on other cars with bad coils. good luck

glamiskid395

Reaction
I'm guessing your running a carb? If so, try resetting the fuel mixture screws. When I put a new carb on my '64 Pontiac with 389 it did the same thing, I finally took it to the shop and they set the settings correctly.
Also check the base gasket, it may be leaking, which will cause the same kind of problem.

mxnocean

Reaction
will do. It is carbered edelbrock 750 on it. I have my stock mudule Ill throw on there. Basically canceling out the problems. thanks.

Sparky

Reaction
Ive heard it could be the distributer messing up. its an accel module so I dont know
Throw away the Accel crap and put a stock module back in. If you are using an Accel coil, throw it away too.

Wahl_7s

Reaction
Throw away the Accel crap and put a stock module back in. If you are using an Accel coil, throw it away too.
X2...You might as well put the stock stuff on it's better!!!

mxnocean

Reaction
I put in a stock mdule and it still did it, So possible distrubtor. Think it could be a bad carb. It does it when its hot/ warmed up.

amr126

Reaction
If you have a electric choke you might try disconnecting when warm, even though it sounds like you have a lean fuel problem. Also, try connecting a vacuuum gauge to a manifold vacuum port to see if it's pulling reasonable vacuum at idle and at cruising /partial throttle speeds.

bigtex

Reaction
try installing a fuel pressure gauge right before the carb. They are only about 10 bucks and this will tell you if you have a fuel problem. They install very easy right in to your fuel hose.

mxnocean

Reaction
You guys wont believe what was the problem. puase... deep breath.... the effing rear passenger side carb bolt was missing. cuasing more air to into the intake **leaning out**
I feel like a dumb ass. Sometimes the most simple problems can stump the best. hahahaha

griffin #11

Reaction
id go with all msd ignition ther awesome get the 6al kit with distributor msd box blaster ss coil and their wires...i have it in my 56 apache with a 350 and i love it..no problems.