Chevy 4.3 vs honda v-6

sedemente

Reaction
For a Tatum 4 seater that does mainly prerunning would you do a Chevy 4.3 with carb or a honda v-6 with fuel injection from factory. Car wieghed 1980 with a type 1 . Also for trans I have an ebox. Thanks for your opinions.

Dezertpilot

Reaction
Both are excellent engines, the Chevy will be cheaper though. I know the Honda v-6 that is in the race Ridgeline is a BA engine though:)

pjc

Chairman
Reaction
I had a Lothringer prerunner with a 4.3. It's still in the family. An excellent but heavy motor. All cast iron. make sure you get a later year motor, they have better cylinder heads.

HDRA1

The Godfather
Reaction
For a Tatum 4 seater that does mainly prerunning would you do a Chevy 4.3 with carb or a honda v-6 with fuel injection from factory. Car wieghed 1980 with a type 1 . Also for trans I have an ebox. Thanks for your opinions.

either one of those are good ones kevin i know the honda's are simple they run real cool and only need a small radiator like 18x32 so it is easier to work with i know the chevy will need a bigger radiator

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
Reaction
Does the V6 honda rotate the same direction as the 4 cyl honda motors? If it does It's running backwards than the V6 GM motor.

pjc

Chairman
Reaction
PJC did you guys go carb ? Did it have cooling problems?

Yes we used an Edlebrock carb. Kinda tough to tune. Also needs the off-road float kit.. Never could get a plenum airbox and UMP filter to work. Had to go to an offset, 14" round, foam filter and had to fabricate a special filter stay to keep it air tight. Do not use K&N.

We only had cooling problems wen the car was first being run. The fabricator installed a water pump for a serpentine belt system instead of a v-belt system. Replaced that with an edlebrock pump and never had issues again.

DesertGuy1

Reaction

The 3.2 Type S is a nice little engine, plenty of giddy up for a pre-runner. After the ECM is paired down it ends up being a pretty easy install, basically 6 wires IIRC. If you go that route I would only suggest a couple of things to make life easier: install a good dual pass radiator ( 16x31 is more than enough), use a "dry" type air filter and route the idle air solenoid pick up into the air filter channel. The V6's rotate "correctly", are lightweight and very dependable. Good luck.

redmist

Reaction
Have you thought of something like a Nissan VQ35DE? Very good lightweight engine that's in almost everything Nissan.. as such cheap to purhase and a tonne of aftermarket parts available for it. It's also got a tonne of aftermarket parts, adaptor plates and clutch off the shelf for VW/Porche style trans.

HDRA1

The Godfather
Reaction
Lucas how did you know its me ? How are you how have you been doing?

just checked profile plus i remembered your car and seen you have been selling all your vw stuff

i am good just looking for work like alot of people trying to survive

i will check with a friend of mine he gets good deals on them he has installed 100 or so in different cars over the years

Ryno

Reaction
The 4.3 is heavy, but makes alot more power, and is alot cheaper. If you get one from 96-present, it will have vortec heads. You can get factory TBI injection for it for cheap as well. Put the edelbrock intake on it, slap in a cam, and run. Easy 300hp all day long.

sedemente

Reaction
Funcos web site says honda 3.5 n/a about 430 pounds does anyone know what a chevy 4.3 wieghs ? Thats motor no radiator.

loufish

Reaction
The 4.3 may be a little heavier, but it's got great torque. Friends got one in his 4 seat pre-runner, a late model vortec head model converted to carb, with an Edlebrock manifold and of course headers.
A pleasure to drive, you can short shift it, or roll thru a corner and still have plenty of torque to pull hard out of the corner. And when you decide it's time to hustle, it will move out...

Remember..."Torque moves metal..." :cool:

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction
Honda would be my first choice for a V6 in a buggy.... I would also not count out a stock LS1....

dirtdriver85

Reaction
We just put in a 4.3 all aluminum in our 4 seat raceco. Not sure on how it runs yet but the thing is light as hell!! 2 people can pick the motor up with no issue at all. My uncle has the 3.2 honda in his 4 seater and it is a great motor. Very fast and reliable. Not sure how the 2 will compare untill we get them both out there but I know it will be soon

jeff

Reaction
The 4.3L will usually weigh 450lbs to 475lbs R2R if you keep all the iron on it. You can shave a lot of weight by running the GM Performance Parts aluminum block and Brodix aluminum heads, but you'll then add a little weight back with the dry sump oiling system the aluminum block requires. With the right combo of go fast parts you can build a 400lb 4.3 that will make 400hp but it'll take $10,000+ to get there. If weight isn't a big issue the 4.3L is a great motor for a lighter weight buggy. I agree with Jerry, just get it over with now and run a stock LS1 (aluminum) motor. They weigh right around 400 pounds... aluminum heads, aluminum block, plastic intake, they are light weight motors and only 1 cylinder longer than the 4.3L ;)

Aloha

loufish

Reaction
I agree with Jerry, just get it over with now and run a stock LS1 (aluminum) motor. They weigh right around 400 pounds... aluminum heads, aluminum block, plastic intake, they are light weight motors and only 1 cylinder longer than the 4.3L

For a play, or prerunner on a budget the 4.3 has to cost less the an LS1....What trans needs to be in front of a LS1?...With the 4.3L you can get away with a built up bus trans if you don't need to play drag racer thru the gears, or the start...