Chevy Fiberglass bedsides

jaferri

Reaction
Hi, I've got a 98 Chevy Silverado and just got a set of fiberglass bedsides given to me. I need to keep my bed for my dirtbike and quads. What is the best way you have found to do this? Plasma off the outer shell or take the time to drill out all the spot welds and remove the shell? Also I'm in ca and have to deal with the gas cap smog issues, has anyone else encountered any problems extending the gas filler and cap? Thanks for your time,
Josh

Project1500

Reaction
Just bolt them over the stock ones. You have to do some cutting of the stock fenders so you wont see them below the new glass because they have bigger wheel openings. You can either extend the gas filler to the glass bedside and cut a hole or just keep it underneath the fender and still fill it up just under the fender every time.

Brice

Reaction
drill out the spot welds, its worth it.

ntsqd

Reaction
Muffler Moly works reasonably well for extending fuel filler hoses. The smaller vent hoses are a bit more of a challenge.
Just be sure that the inside of the tube has some form of rust preventative on it.

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
Don't be fooled by the spot weld drill bits, haven't used one that works yet. You can't reuse the skins so I have found the best wat to get them off is to cut the panle meat off and leave the edges, it takes a couple extra minutes in labor but saves you the hassle of fighting with a large panel, and the front of the bedside should be crimped on so all you have to do is bend it back and forth and peel it off.

jaferri

Reaction
So, should I just plasma off the main skin of the panel and pry the edges off, or cut it with a sawzall and them drill out the rest of the thicker portions? I know I will have to build some sort of framework to support them. Also as for the gas filler it looks like I will have just enough room to use my stock one (the flare is just at the wheel portions of the glass like a stepside effect) I will just have to figure out the hinge part to cover the cap it-self. Any other suggestions let me know, I plan on doing it next weekend.

Josh