Chevy Fiberglass

sweetdevil

Reaction
What is the deal with Chevy Fenders? They are spot welded to the inner fenders, cab, and rest of the body THE ENTIRE perimeter of the fender... I thought it was just on top and drilled out the spot welds, and then realized they're all over the place.

What is the best way to get stock fenders off? Drilling out the spot welds isn't an option (I'd have to take out the headlights and stuff), do I have to sawzall/die grinder/plasma cut these things off?

Thanks in advance for any tips...

PS
Travis, you ARE NOT allowed to respond to this post....

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
Do a search, we have covered this many times.. Just drill out the spot welds if you chose to mount your fenders over the stock inners, I would highly suggest having brackets made and ditching the inner fender wells.. It will cost more but be worth it in the long run for what you do with the truck.

Project1500

Reaction
If you want to keep the stock inners it will take a while. You also have to take off your doors to get to the spot welds. 2 choices ditch the inners or have fun drilling.

michael_loomis

Reaction
ditching the inners is kinda hard as there are 2 inners lol

i left the black inner fenderwell on so the computer and ABS (and all that other crap) had a place to stay mounted. i took the entire rest of the fender off and tossed them . you really need some sort of engine cage cause its not long before the core support starts shaking and the black inners start cracking , especially on the battery side due to the weight.

Attachments

• 59807-101_0165.JPG
    59807-101_0165.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 315

Mike_HKmtrsprts

Reaction
Heyt hot stuff!!!.... Steve and I have done alot of chevy glass our first 2 trucks we drilled out every spot weld a real pain! if I was to do it again I would use a plasma cutter and just remove the out the sheet metal its easier and makes the core support not so weak, chevys are by far the hardest glass to install PM me if you want me to stop by and help out....Mike

michael_loomis

Reaction
another

Attachments

• 59810-101_0170.JPG
    59810-101_0170.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 415

JOSH

Reaction
I did the same thing on my truck, and once you get all the spotwelds drilled and take the outer skin off, yoo still need to unbolt the inner, the wheel well is not part of the fender. Just unbolt it.

sweetdevil

Reaction
All I have to say is What a joke!!!
We got one done last night (the drivers side) and it looks bitchen, but what a job that was!
I took off the outer skin (lots of cutting with the sawzall and drilling out spot welds) and then cut the wheel well/inner fender thingee back as far as I could without removing the bolts that attached the two (As you know, it sits about 4" below the new bulge and looks like crap)
Hopefully, the engine cage will come soon, and I will make new places to mount everything, for now just cutting the stock ones back will work.
Thanks for the advice guys, and thanks for the offer to help Mike! And thanks to Bryce for finding the glass for me, it looks really good (well, the driver's side looks good anyways, looks kinda goofy from the front! lol)

WeldnFab

Reaction
I DESIGNED A "BOLT ON" FENDER KIT FOR FIBERGLASS FENDERS ON S-10'S. ALL YOU GOTTA DO IS DITCH THE OEM FENDERS BOLT THIS PIECE ON AND MOUNT THE GLASS FENDERS. AND IT STILL UTILIZES THE HINGE FOR THE HOOD.

sweetdevil

Reaction
everyone told me lining up the fenders and bolting them on would be a pain... but they lined up really well and bolted on just fine. The issue was getting the stock fenders off.
These were glassworks fenders that were previously installed on an S10, I don't know what year.