• Forum membership has its advantages....

Chevy Front Shocks

desertracer

I just put a Fabtech Long Travel Kit on the front of my 96 Chevy Silverado and am having problems with the shocks being too soft. The upper control arm is hitting the coil bucket as the arm drops down and the lower control arm bump stop it hitting the frame because the fabtech shocks are not stiff enough. Keep in mind this truck has yet to see the dirt. I want to find a shock that will allow the suspension to work through the whole cycle. Some people have suggested Rancho Rs 9000's but I was wondering what other types of shocks would work to solve this problem? Any suggestions would be helpful

Put a bilstein in it.. Call Camburg.. ALso get a limit strap to stop the lower arm from slamming down and ruining your upper balljoint as the upper hits the frame and stops. I will post a pic tomorrow.

desertracer

Thanks fo the advice. I have already had get a new upper ball joint installed because of the problem that you described. Another pain is that when that happen I have to get it re-allined. I just got word back from Fabtech and they want me to bring my truck out to their shop to solve the problem. At least they are willing to work with me and solve the problem. Any other solutions would be helpful.

JOSH

I have the Fabtech long travel kit on my '96 Sonoma and I have had nothing but problems with it, I have the bilsteins up front and they work a little better but the rebound damping sucks. The geometry is all wrong and the bump steer is terrible, and every time I take my truck in the dirt I have to align it afterwards. and i have to change ball joints every time i change my oil.
I don't mean to be a prick but I found out the hard way...Fabtech Sucks!!!

Mike_HKmtrsprts

Josh is right, you might be able to take that kit back under the lemon law and buy the one from california super trucks.

desertracer

Mike,
Could you tell me anymore about this lemon law and what I have to do to actually return this lift and get money back for it.
Thanks

Mike_HKmtrsprts

the lemon law part was a joke, plus I think once you install the kit your basically stuck with it, I would say run it and save your money for the CST kit, their kit takes a while to get but its worth the wait. Next time your gonna buy something that cost that much its a good idea to ask some questions around this web site because alot of us have done the trial and error on alot of these kits. also try getting thier dual shock set up with some good 2.0 shocks.

Ryno

For 2wd Chevys, CST makes some of the best stuff. As far as the Blue Crew....Let's say something nice...their powdercoat job is good. That is the ONLY good thing I have to say. I have replaced 3 Fabcrap kits with CST kits on my friends 2wd Chevys. Not only do they hold alignment, but they also handle excellent, and can soak up alot of abuse. The only other kit I would consider would be the H&M kits. Price is about the same, and CST just came out with a Super Long travel, coilovers and all. VERY SWEEEET!!

Ryno

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

desertracer

Damm guess you learn by your mistakes. Hopefully I can work something out with Fabtech to get the problem solved. How much is the CSTor H&M long travel kit?