chevy gears

yotatech

Reaction
A friend from work has a standard cab chevy with a 350 and a jet t700 trans. The truck has a spindle lift and 33's. Right now he is running the stock gears 3.42 i think, and factory locker but wants to upgrade. The question is what gear ratio would be best, should he keep the same locker, where should he get the gears from and around what would the cost be? He has someone to install it, just needs the parts. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Ryno

Reaction
Since you have the O/D on the transmission...I would run 4.10's if it's a street truck. I would also highly recommend a Eaton Posi, or the Zexel/Torsen diff. Both are very good, and very strong. Get rid of the factory gov-lock....It'll bring you bad things. Mine stripped 3 teeth off my ring gear. As far as cost...a good AMERICAN gear set with install kit should be around $400. This is complete with new bearings...Install is usually between 3-500 depending on the shop.

Ryno

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

yotatech

Reaction
i forgot to post that it is mainly a street truck with some dirt action. it is also used to pull a boat to the river. Thanks for the info.

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
Isnt the Gov-Lok on the chevys an eaton posi allready?

K5Blazer

Reaction
No, the Gov-Loc is actually a locking differential. It locks when there is a 100 RPM difference between the two spider gears. That is the weakness of it because when it locks with the large tires spinning it tends to crack the carrier and gernading the whole rear end.

rdc

Reaction
I know the gov-lok also deactivates after 20 mph. Then whats the diff between the posi? When does it engage?

K5Blazer

Reaction
A posi is just a like a limited slip, it never locks all the way. A Gov-Loc will lock completely like a detroit or a spool. It locks together when it gets enough difference in speed between the two sides of the diff then the govenor kicks in and locks to two sides together. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.traction.eaton.com/prod2.htm>http://www.traction.eaton.com/prod2.htm</A> theres Eaton's explanation of how it works.

rdc

Reaction
Thats probably why mine grenaded. I knew the gov-lok was the weak point but didnt know why. A limited slip/posi works if one tire slips it takes the power away from that wheel and transfers it to the other?

K5Blazer

Reaction
No, it uses clutches to limit tire slip. Think of it as controlled wheel spin.