Chevy prerunner kit

Andrew Fernandez

Reaction
I own a 2003 chevy silverado 1500 2wd, how come there are no mid travel kits for this and looking around the long travel seems to be a bit more expensive for this model than most other long travel kits? Second question, the camburg 6.5 performance kit ( Camburg Chevy 1500 2wd 99-06 Performance 6.5 Kit | Camburg Engineering ) does anyone have experience with this kit or know anyone that has used it? I would rather get the LT if the performance kit has bad reviews but it looks like the upper arms and spindles are the same camburg uses on their LT kit. Last question, 33-35" tires, gear ratio are people using 4.56 or 4.88 or is this preference?

green787

Reaction
4:56... The quick answer to your question is that you have to cut off the spring tubs from the chassis to make anything work, (major modification) so thats' why there are no "bolt on" kits....

biggjim

Reaction
What Green said. The 08-Present already comes with a coil over shock so its alot more straight forward.

Andrew Fernandez

Reaction
Oh yeah no doubt it will take more work for the LT kit to be installed and needed mods done, but a fresh build from a stock 03 do you think the performance kit would work as intended. Camburg advertises as "next best thing to a LT kit" I just would not want to spend the 2k and have it break first prerun (obviously anything can break but general recommendations), and since you brought up bolt on, the bolt on bed cages work fine to keep in street legal? anyone have issues with these?

green787

Reaction
Oh yeah no doubt it will take more work for the LT kit to be installed and needed mods done, but a fresh build from a stock 03 do you think the performance kit would work as intended. Camburg advertises as "next best thing to a LT kit" I just would not want to spend the 2k and have it break first prerun (obviously anything can break but general recommendations), and since you brought up bolt on, the bolt on bed cages work fine to keep in street legal? anyone have issues with these?

You would be better off to take it to Camburg and spend 2K making it trophy truck style with extra long A arms.....
(edit)
Oh, I see you live on the east coast.... Open a fab shop....

C1500 Bumper 002.jpg

BigBlue&Goldie

Reaction
You probably don't want to hear this, but buy a Ford or Toyota and go from there. Better yet, spend the same money on a buggy and don't worry about having to walk to work on Monday.

biggjim

Reaction
So, I dont have any insight to cambergs stuff....I am sure its quality...but based On the studying I have done before I made my decision the single shock trucks all looked terrible in video. I watched ever video I could find on Youtube of trucks running thru woops, dunes, desert and everything in between. The single shock trucks looked un-tuned, now they very well could have been....however when I started watching videos of trucks that ran a bypass on the front they looked a lot better. Now all the research I had done was for 08-Present trucks and I was torn between bolt on....or....cut up fabbed on parts.

I then ended up with an 03 falling in my lap and based on the research I had previously done I still was at the same conclusion. I ended up with a mazzulla race kit. What really sold me was the video and what not I had seen on the firehouse fabrication truck .Of all of the trucks I seen video on that one stood out the most and looked like it handled the best. The kit just showed up a couple of days ago and based on what I see it should be a pretty simple install with the way the shock tower goes on.

There is a ton of brands available but surprisingly little to no feedback on forums. Obviously forums are like A-Holes....everyone has one and they all stink....but you can generally find some info good, bad, or otherwise. I was surprised I didn't find much when I started down this path.

Strapped

Reaction
Gearing- Depends on your goals. Are you trying to restore stock gearing with an emphasis on streetability? Or do you wish to optimize for offroad performance? One may result in a different answer than the other. I have 35's and 4.56's on my Silverado and while it may be somewhat closer to stock gearing, it still lost a lot of oomph (heavier wheels & tires will do that). If I blow out those gears I may go 4.88 and deal with the increased highway revs for more pull out of the hole. See what I'm getting at? BTW, the difference between 4:56 and 4:88, while significant, is not drastic.

As for the hating on Chevy's, don't buy into it. They have great engines and parts are cheap when they break. People can debate all day long about which platform makes the best desert truck but in the end your wallet will dictate. Plus, they are ALL far from perfect to begin with.

Strapped Buy Sell Trade